It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:03 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Tickets
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:33 pm 

I have had to re-install windows due to constant stop errors from a bad memory module screwing things up big time. I had the foresight to back-up all my data and I am up and running fine now. Unfortunately, I forgot to back-up my registration for the beta reporting part, so I do not know how to post a ticket. I still have my beta account no., so if somebody could point me in the right direction, I will be grateful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

From the SUPPORT tab at the top of the screen, register with the site, then raise a ticket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:50 pm 

Thanks Rusty. All's well now :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:23 am 

Will we ever have an option like the one that is present in the UU laucher (update all ages)? While the updates WERE smaller in that program, it still made me happy to be able to leave the updates open and let them finish themselves while I did other work. In the current build if you even minimise during in-game Age updates it causes freezing. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:20 am 
Obduction Backer

Raise it as a feature request. Something like that will probably depend on the number of people that put in for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:24 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm relatively new on the forums, and I've looked around a lot, but there's also a lot I haven't yet read. So if I bring up issues that have been mentioned elsewhere, just ignore me...

Playing beta, I've found that there are two big things that bother me. Neither of them are bugs, but they bother me more than any of the bugs, so I thought I'd mention them.

Both have to do with introducing artificial difficulties into gameplay. The first is the cones and barriers. Like old-school RPGs where you couldn't walk past the differently-colored terrain, these are not barriers that would actually stop anyone in real life. The myst worlds seem so real - that's part of their appeal. The fact that my character can't jump over a cone or a construction sawhorse in a myst game just seems silly. So...

Question 1: Can we expect our progress to be perpetually blocked by artifical 'walls' like these? I suppse to a lot of people this seems like a small thing, but I'd be much happier if the thing blocking my progress was something that I'd have trouble getting around in real life, like a cave-in, or a barred door.

The other thing that really bothered me (ever since the original URU) was getting those bloody fireflies into the cave. I had a heck of a time getting those wooden basket thingies placed so I could get across. The difficulty itself didn't bother me. What bothered me was that my character was essentially an uncoordinated, armless soccer player. Which brings me to my second question...

Question 2: Will we ever get hands? I spent a long time arranging objects in-game with my feet. In real life, I would have picked the things up and plopped them where I wanted them. Once again, it introduced a silly, artifical factor into what was otherwise a deep, engrossing experience. It's exhausting when you know exactly how to solve a puzzle, but you have to try over and over before it works.

Thanks for listening. Apologies for length. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:18 am 

geekmonger wrote:
Question 1: Can we expect our progress to be perpetually blocked by artifical 'walls' like these? I suppse to a lot of people this seems like a small thing, but I'd be much happier if the thing blocking my progress was something that I'd have trouble getting around in real life, like a cave-in, or a barred door.

Most of the uncrossable barriers are located in places where more of the age exists, but is currently closed because its not ready (or kept closed to not spoil future surprises). In the current beta more then half of the city is currently closed. So those should be removed in the future. The construction barriers were probably chosen because they are a simple design, and don't have to be customized to make each barrier fit in.

Also putting something larger in the way would probably block the great artwork.
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

geekmonger wrote:
Question 2: Will we ever get hands? I spent a long time arranging objects in-game with my feet. In real life, I would have picked the things up and plopped them where I wanted them. Once again, it introduced a silly, artifical factor into what was otherwise a deep, engrossing experience. It's exhausting when you know exactly how to solve a puzzle, but you have to try over and over before it works.

It's a design constraint established very early on in the history of Uru, and I doubt it's going to change. Hopefully, Cyan will restrain themselves in the future from implementing puzzles that draw attention to this constraint. If I never see another kick the wooden baskets puzzle again, it will be too soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:

Bingo. I've mentioned this many times in the past, with the slogan "Any task that's simple in real life should also be simple in a simulation."

That was in relation to Myst IV, but the same certainly applies to Uru. Understand that I like Uru very, very much. But it's not perfect, and the avvie vs. objects issue is one of the few complaints I have with it. As you stated above, it is highly frustrating to make all the mental connections necessary to solve a puzzle, only to be completely stymied by the interface. I finally quit Myst IV and uninstalled it for this very reason.

Mowog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Where did you have interface issues in myst 4?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Any task that's simple in real life should also be simple in a simulation.

Oh Boy, I second this fully.
For me, the charm of adventure gaming is that i can use my brains, instead of my reflexes.
I have seen many First Person Shooters, some of them placed in a really stunning and attractive enviroment.
Unfortunately i am not in my "fourty 's" anylonger, and I am not grown up with computers, and I will never have the skills to complete even the simpliest levels in such games.
Thats why i don't like RPG's either.
They seem to be related to adventures so close, but I don't make any progress in them, because i have to fight against monsters and I don't have quick fingers.
Not that I dislike the fighting, and i am not principely against it in every aspect. But when you get older, you not only loose your strenght, you also loose precision, time of reaction and the will to struggle.
The only reason i try to play an RPG is because my patience has grown with the years.
Adventure gaming seems to me the only gametype with real "future" for the elder, as long as developers aime them to be played by all ages. That market is growing because everybody will get older and still want to be among younger players.
In less than teen years time, millions of people will loose their ability to play FPS games, they will loose their "triggy finger",..... but this group still wants to play computergames.

So i agree fully with the statement things must not be more difficult than in real live.
In that perspective i don't want private ages in URU live at all, its not "normal"
In case I do not have the skills doing something, but know how to solve it, i want to be able to ask somebody else, to do it for me!
That is not possible in privat ages !
In my opinion the only ages that might be acceptable as privat ages are:
.....My own Relto.
(Would be great to be able to customise my Relto, like cu8stomising my clothing. Then it makes sense to invite someone else.)
Only from Relto's you should be able to visit (link to) "homemade ages", to be guided there by the builder himself.
In that way, it will stay attractive to visit the agebuilders, even when that selfmade age is not perfect. It would be unfair to compare selfmade ages to those made by professionals.
Of course I hope to under-estimate the homebrewers.

denDwaler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is perhaps a tad off-topic, but I'm a computer science student and I was curious about the work environment in the Cyan Secret Underground HQ.

What sort of development system/cycles do you folks a cyan use? The initial idea of releases every two weeks makes it sound like you might be using XP or some sort of Agile development system. Or maybe you just wing it? :D Do you have some people working on content and others digging out the bugs for launch? I understand you probably aren't at liberty to talk about everything that's going on, but a glimpse into cyanland would be nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:17 pm 

geekmonger wrote:
What sort of development system/cycles do you folks a cyan use?

There has been talk of a "pipeline" for ages and content, which suggests a more traditional waterfall model, but one where everyone is occupied due to each piece of major content being in a different stage: planning, rough modelling, art creation, logic hookups, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:51 am 

:oops: Okay <deep breath here> I'll finally ask it.

Nobody laugh, please.

When we type /dumplogs, will the resulting action effect what we've done in the game up to that point... or from that point forward?

<ducks> :oops:

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy... and good with catsup. (P. Rice)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:13 am 
Obduction Backer

The /dumplog command has no effect on your gameplay at all. It is there as a pointer for Cyan to find errors.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next