It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:00 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:47 pm 

schismer,

The problem's not you, it's the servers. They've been overloaded with the number of new beta testers. It sounds like Cyan might be upgrading hardware when they take Uru Live down on Monday. I can typically play without issue during off-peak hours. Being, weekdays when people are typically working or at school.

Have patience, and good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:03 pm 

Cyan is going to be doing a lot of work on the servers this week. Sometimes, it takes a load test to find what breaks, what needs work, etc.

I've been having some very good conversations and feedback when talking with Cyan, so do expect some good things soon. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:16 am 

Ahh, I guess that is also my problem. So it is their side that is having the probs. Or something. *sigh* I guess I'll wait til Tuesday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:41 pm 

ok............i had no clue what a ping was........so i googled it.......

if cyan and gameyap...............er gametap......... do a sever swap......upgrade thingy...........
will "pingme" still be pinging in the right places :?: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

yes, pinging simply finds the average time it takes for a signal to be sent from your location to the server's location, and the server's phsyical location will still be the same because IP's are geographically set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:58 pm 

kami wrote:

Have you seen any movies about submarines, for example the hunt for Red October? The sound made by the sonar in order to locate a sub is called "ping".

Computers can ping each other over the internet like a submarine can ping another submarine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:04 pm 

Tiran wrote:
kami wrote:

Have you seen any movies about submarines, for example the hunt for Red October? The sound made by the sonar in order to locate a sub is called "ping".

Computers can ping each other over the internet like a submarine can ping another submarine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping

thank you.......i thought it was like a telephone number ........if you got a new server it had a new number......ooppss :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:14 pm 

kami wrote:
thank you.......i thought it was like a telephone number ........if you got a new server it had a new number......ooppss :oops:

In order to ping a computer one must know its ip address. An ip address is a unique number which identifies a computer. It's like the computer's phone number - simplified speaking.

A new server can replace an old server and gain its number. You don't get a new phone number when you buy a new phone set, do you? :)

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:11 am 
Obduction Backer

No, but if you move to another town you do. (Continuing with the phone analogy.) beta-file.urulive.com and beta-auth.urulive.com do indeed have new IPs. beta-game.urulive.com, however, is in a rather strange state right now as far as I can tell. On www.dnsstuff.com, it appears that there is no record for it, however ping comes up with a cluster of 6 IPs. (The same 6 that handle D'mala, and used to handle beta-auth and beta-file)

Either way, even though the servers themselves seem to still be up, apparently there are no game services running on them. (Cyan uses their own protocols and services even for file updates.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:12 pm 

dang ....you guys have been so kind and patient with this ditzy blond...thank you djlumberjack, tiran, and tahgtahv :D

so....everything is green again....that's good??....right :?:

and i have another blond question..i have connected from dublin, nashville, albany, vancouver, and santa barbara.....both on a laptop and my home puters...it is so smart it recognizes when i travel?? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:52 pm 

Think about it this way kami. While you've been moving all about, the servers themselves have stayed still.

Think of it like navigation. Sailors used the North tar to guide their ships at night because it was such a fixed point in the heavens. All they needed was that one fixed point to know where they were going.

And yes, all green is very good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:27 am 

Tahgtahv wrote:
No, but if you move to another town you do. (Continuing with the phone analogy.) beta-file.urulive.com and beta-auth.urulive.com do indeed have new IPs. beta-game.urulive.com, however, is in a rather strange state right now as far as I can tell. On www.dnsstuff.com, it appears that there is no record for it, however ping comes up with a cluster of 6 IPs. (The same 6 that handle D'mala, and used to handle beta-auth and beta-file)

Either way, even though the servers themselves seem to still be up, apparently there are no game services running on them. (Cyan uses their own protocols and services even for file updates.)

kami wrote:

if cyan and gameyap...............er gametap......... do a sever swap......upgrade thingy...........
will "pingme" still be pinging in the right places?

This is the reason why whole Internet use symbolic names (the domains) :)
If they will change the IP Addresses, the domains will remains the same, so no worrie about that, as the software will translate the domains with the new IP Addresses automatically. :D

The only people that need to know the real IP Address are those that need to reconfigure a firewall that doesn't accept domain names into their rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:22 am 

Ugh...my firewalls have firewalls!!!
And, considering I had to wipe my hard drive due to a really nasty virus, I dont know if I want to close them.

Im guessing this may be why my laptop is running like a slug though. So far, I have a firewall on the virus protection program, another on XP? and one on the router? What about the wireless thingy?? does it have a firewall too?

I think I will name it...the GREAT WALL OF MYSTY...or deb...hmm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:48 pm 

Tehl Nava wrote:
Think of it like navigation. Sailors used the North tar to guide their ships at night because it was such a fixed point in the heavens. All they needed was that one fixed point to know where they were going.

And yes, all green is very good.

Gilgameesh wrote:
If they will change the IP Addresses, the domains will remains the same, so no worrie about that, as the software will translate the domains with the new IP Addresses automatically. Very Happy

thank you so much....i really am beginning to understand now.............and i really do like the colour scheme.......sort of blond proof

Tehl Nava....you must be really smart to have created such a tool for us.....thank you.......and the blonds thank your colour savvey intuitiveness

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Forgive me if it has been asked here, but I wonder if we will have a new tool for diagnosing the new server connections? Seems like it'd be helpful to the developers, eh?

We can hope. :lol:

Dadguy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next