It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:52 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:41 am 

Shorah explorers!

For this chapter, I think I am up to page 12 on the questions. Note: If I dont directly answer a question of your, please dont get offended. We probably just arent prepared to answer those questions at this time. Additionally I have of course left out the individual game questions that most of our helpful community veterans were able to answer. So here ya go

What new content is going to be in the game. What are you planning for post launch.

We absolutely appreciate everyone's natural curiosity about the content details of Uru Live, but we would much rather have you discover the adventure as it happens than tell you about it ahead of time. This is true not only for new places, but for new features and new stories in old places as well. Hang in there! The adventure will begin soon enough, and we'll take that wonderful journey together.

------

So far we are testing the existing ages and 2 small community ages. I understand the reasons for that with a new game engine etc. however, there are no "puzzles" of any kind in either of the new ages, will there be puzzles and new journeys in live and if so, are they something that will need testing before release?"

"We'll be rolling out new content for Uru Live for as long as we can, as fast as we can, and we will need a trusted group of skilled Beta Testers to continue helping us test this content before it goes public, even after launch. If you think you have what it takes to be on that team, please let us know you are interested when we start gathering that information. We’ll let you know when the time comes."

----

On the DRC age list Eder Tsogal and Eder Delin are shown TBD, as far as I can tell Delin is ready and Tsogal has one small problem (the hood book). Can we assume the Hood Game Room, Katha Island and Rahtevnee are in similar states?

No, it is definitely not safe to assume that. It would be safer to assume that the DRC were working on the Ages/Areas marked "TBD" but had not yet determined when those Ages/areas would be ready for explorers when they last updated the Age list.

----

If the client viewer crashes and XP wants to submit crash data to Microsoft, should we?

No. Mircosoft is not particularly interested in crash data from beta software.

----

Will there be more things like Adult Swim and can our avatars select such a shirt, I've never seen adult swim but I like the shirt

Yes, more shirts are planned to be made available over time.

----

When do we get our Cautious Optimism T shirt?

We are cautiously optimistic that you will have them at some point in the future.

----

specially appreciated the explanation of the Network Error 6 problems, but I am now getting the "Cli2Game" version of this (getting consistently disconnected while still in Relto, so unable to test at all right now), and this version doesn't seem to be included in your "answers" thread. I gather it's a game problem as opposed to password/authorization etc., but do we know what's causing it?

The game client maintains network connections to three servers: file server, auth server, and game server. Whenever one of them unexpectedly disconnects, the client will report a network error code of “kNetErrDisconnected”. The other bit of information reports the connection that experienced the error. “kNetProtocolCli2Auth” refers to the auth server connection, and “kNetProtocolCli2Game” refers to the game server connection

-----------
Question - If none of your tickets have had a 'tech' reply, does this mean they haven't even been looked at yet?

Not necessarily. We only respond if we have an appropriate answer to that ticket. We may be in the process of duplicating the bug ourselves or comparing notes.

----
I don't expect an answer, but I was looking at the dat folder and I gotta ask: Who's Cate?

It's fortunate that you don't expect an answer.

----

Why do you invite new beta testers when no update is available yet? Doesn't this mean you will get a load of bug reports of bugs that are already known? This means even more work for the support people. I was actually expecting new beta testers after a new update.

We invite the new testers separate from the updates for a couple reason.
1. we want to make sure to separate account/ login issues with game issues. When we do an invite on a known working version of the game, we can rule out immediately that cause of the problem.
2. Additionally, we also want to be able to have a verifiable test for when the update does occur. When the update does arrive, we are assured that within the next 2 days will be our greatest load on the servers.

So although it might mean a bit more work on our support team, we would be able to narrow all issue down quicker and provide a better metric for our server load capacity.

----

Since the Ticket system allows us to set Mac OS as our platform, can we expect a Mac build anytime soon? Linux would be corollary...

Cross your fingers, Like we say in the faqs "While we always hope for Mac compatibility, this is yet to be determined"

----

Are there plans to clean up the multiple duplicate neighborhoods in the Nexus?

Yes, though no specific date will be given. Once we have gathered all the information we need we will make some modifications.

----

When can we test the new visitor feature? I bet a lot of beta testers want to try hacking it to make sure it is bullet proof.

Great! Glad your excited about testing out a new feature and uhmm .. hacking it.. We’ll get it to you as soon as we can. We don’t have a set date at this time.

----

Is Cyan going to let GameTap inflate the system requirements for Uru Live like they have for Myst, Riven, and ABM? They've literally *doubled* the CPU requirement over Cyan's own listed specs (which is annoying to me--Cyan's spec is 800mhz. GT's is 1600. I'm running Complete Chronicles, UU, *and* Beta-Live all just fine on my 1200Mhz system

It is unknown at this time how they derived those specs. But I will assume its so that its users may enjoy the full content of its game collections. For Uru Live we are still collecting data for the specs we want to eventually support. We still hope to make it as flexible as possible to allow as many users enjoy our game as possible.

Lbell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:17 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Thanks! We really appreciate this.

I think I can speak for most of us that we hope someone at Cyan will address the question of Ae'gura's multiple instances as soon as possible. Bug? Feature? Please be prepared for disagreement if the word "feature" is invoked. ;)

Personally, I hope you can answer the scaling questions of how the beta environment compares to what is intended for the Launch in terms of systems, network, and database architecture so that we may fairly judge performance as it stands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:13 am 
Obduction Backer

Aww man, I got owned by Lbell! :lol:

Quote:
I don't expect an answer, but I was looking at the dat folder and I gotta ask: Who's Cate?

It's fortunate that you don't expect an answer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:29 am 

lbell wrote:
----

If the client viewer crashes and XP wants to submit crash data to Microsoft, should we?

No. Mircosoft is not particularly interested in crash data from beta software.

----

It's good to note that MS doesn't really take any crash logs from non-MS software anymore, unless it's a 'known issue'. It sends the header of the log, and then the MS server sends a 'done' message, and the error is never uploaded. They started this sometime in 2003. Guess they were sick of all those logs. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:03 am 
Obduction Backer

I guess MS decided that XP was finally out of the open beta phase so they ignore the bug-tickets :lol:

Thank you very much for that humorous update lbell :-D

And (as always) I have the same concern as JWPlatt about the multiple city instances :-? What's up with that?

MO:ULagain KI# 657726

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:26 pm 

Maybe Cate is Catherine! :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:46 pm 

Thank you so much LBell for all the answers. Yes, you are uncommon in your candid replies. Thank you for the humour. Man, is obfusication a job requirement at Cyan? ;)

:thumbsup: and keep up the good work people! YAY! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:

I think I can speak for most of us that we hope someone at Cyan will address the question of Ae'gura's multiple instances as soon as possible. Bug? Feature? Please be prepared for disagreement if the word "feature" is invoked. ;)

Personally, I hope you can answer the scaling questions of how the beta environment compares to what is intended for the Launch in terms of systems, network, and database architecture so that we may fairly judge performance as it stands.

I think the answer is there JW: http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/28/joystiq-interviews-rand-miller-of-cyan-worlds/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:

I think the answer is there JW: http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/28/joystiq-interviews-rand-miller-of-cyan-worlds/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

TomahnaGuy wrote:
Maybe Cate is Catherine! :?:

cept catherines dead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:10 pm 

Catherine's ressurected or....

a GHOST! :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:34 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

zam wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:

Zam,

Unfortunately, that article contains a sly disclaimer from Rand. Yes, yes, I know - Rand? Make a vague disclaimer? Surely I jest! But I will italicize it:

Rand Miller wrote:
The City you can't control. It's only one instance, and everybody goes to the same instance, to the best of our ability that's what will happen.

I asked my question even after reading the article because we are still not privvy to what is "to the best of [Cyan's] ability," if it is even known to them. So multiple city instances can be a bug, or it can be that Cyan has implemented city instances to handle loads to the best of their ability. We just haven't heard yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:51 pm 

Hrm. Thanks for trying to answer my question about the system specs lbell, but...the reason I was asking in the first place is because the doubled specs I mentioned are *specifically* listed in the Uru:ABM entry on GameTap for being above and beyond normal GameTap requirements--it has nothing to do with the rest of their library.

To explain--on the right side of the 'infocard' for games, there's a set of icons--normally there is the option to make the game a 'favorite pick' and the 'parental lockout' option, but certain games have additional ones, such as a PDF manual, or in some cases a listing of additional system requirements 'more demanding than most GameTap games'. Uru has just such an entry, listing the following requirements:

CPU speed greater than or equal to 1600 MHz
A video card with at least 64Mb memory
Video card drivers that support DirectX 4.09
At least 512 MB of physical memory
Network drives labeled X: and Y: must not be mapped to a device

(the last has to do with how GameTap handles CD-checking, I think, but not sure.)

The first requirement is red on my listing...though I *did* see that GT *will* allow the game to be run now (though with an additional warning about problems), unlike Riven and Myst, both of which it lists requiring WinXP for (I'm running Win2k)--*those* it flat-out says 'This game will not work.' and won't let me download it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:41 pm 

On my laptop I got warnings when I went to play any of the Myst games on GameTap. About processor speeds and things not working properly, and then I was asked if I wanted to proceed anyway.

I knew all those games worked fine even on my laptop, so I said yes, and although it takes several lifetimes to download all the game data from GameTap, the games do work just fine.

I did wonder at the time why it was telling me I didn't meet the requirements when I'd played all the Myst games (even Myst 5) on the laptop with no real issues (except a bit of lag in M5 and slightly lower graphics quality than on my desktop).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:17 pm 

ChrisForsyth wrote:
To explain--on the right side of the 'infocard' for games, there's a set of icons--normally there is the option to make the game a 'favorite pick' and the 'parental lockout' option, but certain games have additional ones, such as a PDF manual, or in some cases a listing of additional system requirements 'more demanding than most GameTap games'. Uru has just such an entry, listing the following requirements:

CPU speed greater than or equal to 1600 MHz
A video card with at least 64Mb memory
Video card drivers that support DirectX 4.09
At least 512 MB of physical memory
Network drives labeled X: and Y: must not be mapped to a device

(the last has to do with how GameTap handles CD-checking, I think, but not sure.)

I think (based only on my own general knowledge) much of the inflation of system requirements for GameTap compared to original is to support a virtualizer that allows your system to run a game originally written for a completely different OS. For instance, my original Myst disks are collector's items now -- not because they're rare (the biggest selling PC game in history, until Doom, isn't rare by any reasonable standard) but because that version of the game flatly won't run under WinXP (in fact, I bought RealMyst when it was still on shelves because Myst wouldn't install on Win95). The same is true, it seems, for Riven -- it installs on my XP system, and then crashes every time I try to open the game, but installs and runs fine on my Win98SE machine.

So, rather than try to get a complete rewrite of the game code from each maker (especially necessary for games originally written for completely other hardware, like Atari 2600 or arcade systems), the GameTap system runs an emulator -- but the only emulator that can run a Windows game is a virtualizer, a "box" inside which is a "virtual machine" undetectable as not being a stand-alone system by any software inside. In some cases, the virtual machine then runs an emulator (for instance, to run Commodore 64 software, in 6502 Assembler, on an X86 processor) which includes emulation of the video and sound hardware and input devices via Windows compatible systems like the 101-key keyboard, mouse, modern video and sound, and so forth.

Now, it takes some system resources and CPU cycles to run the virtualizer, so it takes more machine to run a game within the virtualizer than it would to run it on the naked OS, in the case of a game that *could* run on the naked OS; hence the need for a faster CPU and more memory than you'd need for the same game outside of GameTap. Beyond that, there are OS dependencies in virtualizers -- specifically, Win98 never supported virtualization as it's currently used on Intel Macs and in WinXP, so you have to have XP installed to virtualize a game that expects a 32-bit environment which could, in theory, include additional virtual machines within it. Windows 2000 had only limited virtualizer support -- virtual machines were still pretty new 6 years ago, even though the capability goes back to the first 386 systems, around 1990; Windows 3.0 didn't use virtual machines in at all the same way as modern virtualizers do.

I'd bet the folks at GameTap won't talk about this to anyone without an NDA gag -- after all, it's their bread and butter to be able to present these games in a fashion that you can't just copy off and keep, but instead requires you to keep paying month after month. But I'd also bet I'm close enough to the way it works to be confident in predicting that you won't see anything on GameTap that was originally for PC/Windows that runs in the same system requirements it had originally. It's just part of being able to get a game you can't find in the catalogs any more, or that was never updated for 32-bit windows (much less XP), and run it on your current system.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next