It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:00 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:58 pm 

With all the talk of Gametap's problems, I'll try and see if I can't get a stand-alone version. I don't want to be forced to buy Gametap. Once Gametap gets rid of its problems, I'll gladly sign up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:42 pm 

Whilyam wrote:
With all the talk of Gametap's problems, I'll try and see if I can't get a stand-alone version. I don't want to be forced to buy Gametap. Once Gametap gets rid of its problems, I'll gladly sign up.

It's more like you get URU-Live and GameTAP comes as a bonus.... at least for me. Personally I have not had any problems with GT at all. I down load the games and play them. That's what I did for a little over a month waiting to get into Beta.

It would be nice if Live launch seperate from the entire GameTAP frontend just to make log on quicker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:36 am 

Quote:

:?: :roll: :?

GameTap problems? I've had it for several months... what problems?

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy... and good with catsup. (P. Rice)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:33 am 

Huh? 23 days?

Anyhow, I was talking about the problems people were having with Gametap. Like the thing with only one specific type of broadband worthy of their attention. I think there were several more things that made it less-than-an-all-inclusive, community-cracking, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:12 am 

Original Myst does run on at least one of our WinXP machines, and so does Riven. [Haven't tried Myst III in awhile.] Many older games are like that. One machine will run fine and another machine with the same OS won't even install the same ap!

Ran into that with my son's educational program this year. I thought the problem was winXP, but it just didn't like the original compy I was trying to use. Same thing was true of my hubby's beloved Earthsiege 2. One machine will run it and another won't. No idea why!

Dosbox does run most old games on most systems though.

I think Gametap has a good thing going, as long as they are working out the emulator issues for you. Biggest drawback to the users imho, is that you don't own any content at the end of the day. You can usually find an old copy around cheap if you really love one of these old treasures. I own a great many of them already
:lol:

Susan :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:10 pm 

Hi,

This is a message i posted as a ticket and ahve yet to recieve a reply and cannot continue with my testing.

Since my last ticket i have been able to log on okay, presume it was your servers not me?

Since my last email from you telling me of the next testing phase in server testing, logging as been fine and reliable and age load times accetable.

My problem is with the power supply in Teledahn and Gahreesen, each time i log back in (after having gone offline) the settings have been reset and i cannot access areas that require power, though i have marked them and can return to the cloth, so the game is remembering my achievements at least in respect to the last cloth i touched.

This is very frustrating as i cannot return to places i have been, to look for things i might have missed, or continue without returning to the power source, which is not too big a problem in Teledahn, but impossible in Gahreesen as the pillar cog that engages to provide power, blocks my way into the power room!

Thanks for the opportunity to test the game, but this is really frustrating as i cannot make progress.

Thanks again for the opportunity to be part of this and thanks again for Myst in all its forms which i have played since the first one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:39 pm 

Salar wrote:
Original Myst does run on at least one of our WinXP machines, and so does Riven. [Haven't tried Myst III in awhile.] Many older games are like that. One machine will run fine and another machine with the same OS won't even install the same ap!

Ran into that with my son's educational program this year. I thought the problem was winXP, but it just didn't like the original compy I was trying to use. Same thing was true of my hubby's beloved Earthsiege 2. One machine will run it and another won't. No idea why!

Dosbox does run most old games on most systems though.

I think Gametap has a good thing going, as long as they are working out the emulator issues for you. Biggest drawback to the users imho, is that you don't own any content at the end of the day. You can usually find an old copy around cheap if you really love one of these old treasures. I own a great many of them already
:lol:

Susan :)

Indeed..and this is one of the reasons I cited to the customer rep at GameTap when I cancled my account the other day--all of the games I have an interest in on there, I can either get via emulation (and worse, an emulator that takes a *lot* less system resources than the GameTap front-end), or can find for sale for at worst a couple of months of what GT costs--and in both cases, I don't have to worry about the status of the net between me and some site across the country to be able to play. Another reason was that one of their 'big names', Sam & Max, not only is also available in a separate version like the other games, but crashes not just the GameTap client but my entire system, even *after* upgrading my video card to something supported by the latest nVidia drivers. The final reason, of course, is that Uru's not going to run on 2k, which renders the primary reason I signed up with them in the first place completely and utterly useless. Admittedly, GameTap is a good service...but it's rather completely worthless to *me*, at this point. :-/

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3