It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:56 pm

All times are UTC




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:42 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:14 pm
Posts: 595
Location: DFW Texas
I supplemented my cleft quicksand ticket with a note that sometimes I avoid the fatal fall by jumping once the desert screen shows up, with the up key and space bar. This workaround worked for me in Build 7 and 8. I haven't gotten to that point yet in 9 yet.

I was in Prologue and remember how hard Dr FeelGoodWa took the shutdown of the first Uru Live, as did many of us. We'll get there. Hang in there everybody (oops, sorry if that sounds like a gallows reference Doc :lol: ). We are making great progress. An example of this is Cyan's revision of how to get to the Cleft, as many Beta testers suggested. Now we just have to wait for that way to be bug free.

I've seen improvement in the fish baskets on Gira, but they're still a bit spooky. The panic fall/links are less frequent now.

I personally think the cleft fall is an issue with the physics of falling itself. I've noticed dropping in the Cleft to cross the boards that the animation of dropping seems that gravity is a little heavier than usual. The fall is too fast. Just a thought.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:27 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 10:13 pm
Posts: 3426
Location: Lost in the void
Copied my post from the other thread in the Beta Game Discussion Forum.

D'Lanor wrote:
In a way it is a physics problem, but there is something else going on.

The main problem is that avatar movement in Uru is controlled by the animation. When an avatar is displaced during the animation the physics are ignored. Once the animation has finished the physics kick in again.

The falling avatar is nothing more than an animation with a large displacement. So I suspect this is more a timing issue than a physics issue.

_________________
D'Lanor (ɹǝʇunч puǝƃǝן uɐqɹn)
Image
KI# 33949


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:56 pm
Posts: 225
Location: San Francisco
D'Lanor wrote:
Copied my post from the other thread in the Beta Game Discussion Forum.

D'Lanor wrote:
In a way it is a physics problem, but there is something else going on.

The main problem is that avatar movement in Uru is controlled by the animation. When an avatar is displaced during the animation the physics are ignored. Once the animation has finished the physics kick in again.

The falling avatar is nothing more than an animation with a large displacement. So I suspect this is more a timing issue than a physics issue.


When "Fissure-diving" I seem to notice the relto book icon in the lower left corner will begin flashing the moment you jump- seeming to indicate a panic link in progress :o

Wondering if anyone else gets that and whether the successful jumps have also shown this, or could it be part of the cause of the failures?

_________________
Image
Zamboni Scrapmetalus Est
May The End never be written
"Things are not what they used to be -- and they never were." Will Rogers


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:18 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 4:33 pm
Posts: 878
Location: Jurupa Valley, CA USA
Alf Wiedersehn wrote:
D'Lanor wrote:
Copied my post from the other thread in the Beta Game Discussion Forum.

D'Lanor wrote:
In a way it is a physics problem, but there is something else going on.

The main problem is that avatar movement in Uru is controlled by the animation. When an avatar is displaced during the animation the physics are ignored. Once the animation has finished the physics kick in again.

The falling avatar is nothing more than an animation with a large displacement. So I suspect this is more a timing issue than a physics issue.


When "Fissure-diving" I seem to notice the relto book icon in the lower left corner will begin flashing the moment you jump- seeming to indicate a panic link in progress :o

Wondering if anyone else gets that and whether the successful jumps have also shown this, or could it be part of the cause of the failures?


What you're seeing is the avatar panic linking out after a long fall and failure to land. This is normal. People who successfully land would not panic link, as they are not falling into the void.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:56 pm
Posts: 225
Location: San Francisco
Deledrius wrote:
Alf Wiedersehn wrote:
D'Lanor wrote:
Copied my post from the other thread in the Beta Game Discussion Forum.

D'Lanor wrote:
In a way it is a physics problem, but there is something else going on.

The main problem is that avatar movement in Uru is controlled by the animation. When an avatar is displaced during the animation the physics are ignored. Once the animation has finished the physics kick in again.

The falling avatar is nothing more than an animation with a large displacement. So I suspect this is more a timing issue than a physics issue.


When "Fissure-diving" I seem to notice the relto book icon in the lower left corner will begin flashing the moment you jump- seeming to indicate a panic link in progress :o

Wondering if anyone else gets that and whether the successful jumps have also shown this, or could it be part of the cause of the failures?


What you're seeing is the avatar panic linking out after a long fall and failure to land. This is normal. People who successfully land would not panic link, as they are not falling into the void.


No, actually, I'm talking about the instant you enter the fissure-- before the actual fall.

It makes sense that you panic-link when your avvie's in the ground- but why would this occur at the moment of entering the fissure, before the fall.
Therein is my confusion... :?

_________________
Image
Zamboni Scrapmetalus Est
May The End never be written
"Things are not what they used to be -- and they never were." Will Rogers


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:58 pm
Posts: 209
Location: newport, oregon
well, it _is_ a link of some sort... and given the magic associated with the relto book in general, i wouldn't be surprised if yeesha has the relto book somehow doing the job.

_________________
Image
tomahnokh k'hunah
house of k'huunah
d'mala 00723949


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:46 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 12:55 pm
Posts: 9852
Location: Luton, UK
Maybe you're panicing because you can't see the bottom?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:56 pm
Posts: 225
Location: San Francisco
Rusty_Russell wrote:
Maybe you're panicing because you can't see the bottom?

Good one, Rusty :lol:

_________________
Image
Zamboni Scrapmetalus Est
May The End never be written
"Things are not what they used to be -- and they never were." Will Rogers


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:00 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 4:33 pm
Posts: 878
Location: Jurupa Valley, CA USA
Oh, I see. I haven't noticed that phenomenon. I'll pay attention to that next time I give it a try.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron