It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:38 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:33 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah,

I am posting here to help everyone remember what is was like when we first played this game. Everyone was running around discovering stuff and trying to figure out what was going on. Some people were better at figuring out things, others were better at discovering things, some of us need some hints and some needed a walkthrough.

The common thread of enjoyment came from discovering and/or solving things on our own or in a group.

We are about to have a HUGH influx of new explorers that have never been in URU. I think we all want them to experience what we experienced. They have the right to the joy of discovery.

There are several areas where we need to very careful, least we diminish the enjoyment of these new players and risk losing the very thing we are hoping to revive.

The first area is in-game spoiling. We need to be very careful that we don’t reveal all we know or discover in the clear in the game. Recently people have been text chatting to Neighbors or Buddies and telling everything the know, see or find. I realize that the Beta has some text chat problems, but we need to be careful that we don’t ruin the experience for old and new players alike.

When Myst Online: URU Live launches, ALL OF THE CONTENT WILL BE NEW from the perspective of a new explorer.

So, simple statements like, “The Relto page is here today”, will be spoiling because they don’t even know what a Relto page is.

Be careful what you say and remember how long it took you to learn what we now consider as common knowledge.

The second area is in-game bragging. We need to be careful that we don’t treat the new explorers badly because they were not in beta, prologue, Until URU, or URU Live Beta or whatever. We know lots of stuff and we have been around the block a few times. We want to help the new explorers feel welcome and want to come back.

Know-it-all-statements like, “That’s nothing, wait until you see…”, or “It was better in Beta, you really missed out….”, will not make people feel welcome. Forcing IC on new explorers can also look like bragging, “If you knew what you were doing, you would stay in character…”.

The third area is in-game hints: We need to be careful how we help people. If someone asks for help or hints, we need to PM them with our help so we don’t spoil for others in the same age. Also, many times people want hints, not answers, so we need to try to help them discover what they are looking for, not give them a mini-walkthrough.

The final area is in-forum spoiling. We need to be careful what we post in the forums, especially in the URU Live forum, where all the new explorers will look first. I really think the URU Live forum should implement spoiler tags, but if they don’t then we will need to not spoil in those forums. There are plenty of other URU forums that do support spoiler tags, so post your spoilers there and include a link.

If you insist on spoiling in the URU Live forum, please clearly mark your thread or post so that others will have a choice to view it or not.

Some of you will understand what I am saying and will understand that we need to be careful. Others of you will understand what I am saying and will defend your right to behave however you wish without any consideration for others. Finally there will be those that just do not understand.

We have a choice as a community to do our best to help URU Live succeed. My point is that there are lots of game/community choices out there. We are competing to get a large enough share to keep URU Live going.

If we think about it, we can make a big difference the success of this venture. Personally, I would like to keep the folks at GameTap out of breath, adding servers, just trying to keep up with us.

I am sure I will catch some flack for posting this, but I think it is important, so bring it on.

Thanks for reading, comments welcome,

Golden Wedge
"Best, guarantees different"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:40 am 
Obduction Backer

perfect 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:42 am 
Obduction Backer

Good reminders there!!! Thanks for posting them to remind us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:47 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

* ....flings 'flack' at Golden Wedge...* :twisted:

OK, now that that is taken care of...

Thanks! You just saved more than one of us a whole bunch of typing and you did it very well, too. :D

Good reminders. It never hurts to remind folks to just be aware of and to respect their fellow explorers.

BTW, we're discusssing a 'spoilers only' thread. Hang in there. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:12 am 
Obduction Backer

If somebody asks a question, PM them back and ask "do you want a nudge, a hint or a spoiler?" That way they can control how far the help goes.

Thanks for the well thought out, well presented reminder GW. We were all beginners at one time or another. Let's keep this in mind.

"Laugh it up, Chuckles" -- Space Ghost to Rand Miller; MOUL KI #38615, Mulligan KI #37069, MOULa2.0 #130257

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:13 am 

Yes, this thread is a great reminder thread. We should all be this kind to the newcomers. :) I appreciate it, being a newcomer myself. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:15 am 

Excellent post GW! :D

Whitch2 wrote:
BTW, we're discusssing a 'spoilers only' thread.

That would help... but we could really use spoiler tags as well. If the mods could influence GD in that regard, it'd be great! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:20 am 

I'm not sure if that's doable, but I'll definately check. :)

Oh, and BTW, I took the liberty of making this a 'Please Read' sticky. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:36 am 
Creative Kingdoms

It's doable. There are spoiler mods for phpBB. The question is whether GD has the time to implement and support the mod if something goes wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:39 am 

OK, thanks. I don't know a thing about this technical stuff, but I did send a message, so we'll see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:52 am 
Obduction Backer

thanks for the great reminders GW. Very well thought out and well written. Sometimes in our enthusiasm for the game, we can forget and shout stuff out in public or neighbors chat and it is always important to try to remember what is was like to come into the game for the first time. Also, as new stuff (new stuff!!!!!) gets added we will all be in the same boat and none of us wants our discoveries spoiled, new explorer or old hand!

nerf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:07 am 
Obduction Backer

Will there be a vault vipe till tonight? How stupid must a new UL Preview player be to not recognize the low KI# and then draw the conclusion that another player was in closed beta?

MO:ULagain KI# 657726

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:10 am 

Hamsta wrote:
How stupid must a new UL Preview player be to not recognize the low KI# and then draw the conclusion that another player was in closed beta?

IIRC there was a thread a while back that said KI numbers are generated randomly -- that lower numbers don't mean earlier arrivals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:40 am 
Obduction Backer

Actually, numbers aren't really andom, though they do seem to be... since everything player-related in the Vault basically seems to exist in one table, your avatar/KI number is simply the next available number in the table's index. There's other data for other avatars (Ages collected, KI photos/notes, etc.) in-between each actual avatar, so the numbers are never sequential, but they do get progressively larger. That said, I don't think the KI numbers are going to be a dead give-away... even with a vault wipe, someone is going to end up with a really low KI number anyway... if you have one, just pretend you got in quickly tonight ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:24 pm 

Alahmnat wrote:
Actually, numbers aren't really andom, though they do seem to be... since everything player-related in the Vault basically seems to exist in one table, your avatar/KI number is simply the next available number in the table's index. There's other data for other avatars (Ages collected, KI photos/notes, etc.) in-between each actual avatar, so the numbers are never sequential, but they do get progressively larger. That said, I don't think the KI numbers are going to be a dead give-away... even with a vault wipe, someone is going to end up with a really low KI number anyway... if you have one, just pretend you got in quickly tonight ;).

So the KI number is just an object ID?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next