It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:01 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:50 pm 

Thanks for those words of wisdom, GW. Unfortunately not everyone is as kind and thoughtful as you, though in general I have noticed most of the people in URU are a pretty tolerant group. I remember running into you in the cavern one of my first times in and you were very helpful when I asked for assistance without being condescending. A few nights later I asked someone a question and they told me I was stupid for not making a map and questioned whether I'd ever even played Myst or it's sequels before. I'm not above making maps or diagrams when needed, but I don't do it all the time. Anyway, thanks again for your reminders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:17 pm 

Thanks for the reminder, GW, and well said. I'll try and remember to double-check that those PM's are not going out to everyone! It's also a good reminder for everyone to exercise patience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well said, GW.

Does anyone know it the Greeters' Guild will be re-activated? That was helpful on Prolog, to have a recognizable logo for people that volunteered to help new explorers.

Walt

walt: KI #00193642
walt scRIVENs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:43 pm 

walt_scrivens wrote:
Well said, GW.

Does anyone know it the Greeters' Guild will be re-activated?

Yep. There's another thread here somewhere...

...there it is.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Walt, the Greeters have never been inactive but you might want to read This Post by Indy. GW, don't worry about the flack. I already headed it off a couple of weeks ago. Most of the responses I got to a similar request was "If you don't want spoilers, you shouldn't be in beta" but I have found that people are being more cautious about what they say. So it appears that even those who may have objected originally, did see some merit in the suggestion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:44 pm 

Hamsta wrote:
Will there be a vault vipe till tonight? How stupid must a new UL Preview player be to not recognize the low KI# and then draw the conclusion that another player was in closed beta?

Will a new UL Preview player even know what a KI# is?

This is an excellent thread. Helping to give new explorers a positive experience is one of the best things we can do individually to help ensure Uru Live's ongoing success.

RMC: Where the men are men. (And so are the women)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:50 pm 

Great Post GW, you said it so well, and it is so good to remind us all to be supportive in the very best way in the very best spirit of neighborlyness and welcome. Thanks indeed.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ja'de wrote:
Most of the responses I got to a similar request was "If you don't want spoilers, you shouldn't be in beta" but I have found that people are being more cautious about what they say.

There is an important side effect of this. Spoiled players often do just what they think they should do. That path has probably been tested to death.

When people aren't spoiled ahead of time, they tend to come up with their own ideas on what to try - often something that no one ever thought of. These sorts of situations uncover bugs that would not have come up otherwise.

I've found the best testing path is often to play with things first, then compare notes with other testers.

MOULagain KI#27460 - Second Life: Vax Sirnah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:54 am 

Perhaps we should make an FAQ to state all the things you'd need to know, but put a spoiler heading on it so people know it might say things they don't wanna know (like what a KI is and where to get it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:49 am 
Obduction Backer

Brilliant post, GW.

First day of this new build there was a lot of Neighbor chat going on and frankly there were spoilers, things I would rather have discovered for myself. As you say we need to remember that for brand-new players everything is new. There is a feeling of achievement in working out something for yourself, with or without a hint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks GW! Great reminders, especially since I myself was not so long ago a "newbie."

Chuckles58 wrote:
If somebody asks a question, PM them back and ask "do you want a nudge, a hint or a spoiler?" That way they can control how far the help goes.

This is a good idea, chuckles. Thanks!

Uh oh, telling someone about their KI is a spoiler? I think I need a list....

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:55 pm 

I know this is probably somewhere on this forum, but what is the deal with this "preview"? They are not new beta testers, then who or what are they? (I know they are here for stress tests) For instance how long will they be amongst us?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

From what I understand (and I have nothing to back it up with) the Open Beta is there for the express purpose of stress testting and allowing the developers to take care of such problems as lag and link-in delays. As well as that - a fresh perspective on any problems that may be happening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Uh oh, telling someone about their KI is a spoiler? I think I need a list....

I don't know that I'd consider helping someone with their KI a spoiler. Yes there is in game instructions in one of the journals but I think it's easier for a person to understand if helped along by an experienced person.

I can remember how bad it was for me back in prologue, not knowing how to use the KI. When I first came to prologue, it was with my grandsons and we used the telephone to communicate...so by the time they left me I had never learned how to use the KI. I can remember coming into a hood and just standing there and no one offering to help me. It was a bad experience and I have since never wanted anyone to go through that. To be honest...I never learned how to use the KI until I started in UU and others helped me. So until Cyan tells me that I shouldn't help people because it's considered a spoiler, I will continue to do just that.

SG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:13 pm 

greypiffle wrote:
From what I understand (and I have nothing to back it up with) the Open Beta is there for the express purpose of stress testting and allowing the developers to take care of such problems as lag and link-in delays. As well as that - a fresh perspective on any problems that may be happening.

That didn't really answer my question of how long they will be here.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next