It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:12 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

I would like some sort of spoiler thred of some sort. I played Uru before when it wasn't online and enjoyed beating it myself. Now that I'm in beta, and especially becuase I seem to suffer from lag issues, I like knowing something about the new things that I will find or what was added today or closed off today. With all my lag trouble I want to get as much play out of the time I actually get to spend moving. So I would support a spoiler thred of some varity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:36 pm 

This is the best thread I have followed on these forums. I came to Uru as a solo expolorer just a couple of weeks after the original 'live' went down. It took me many weeks of puzzlement, frustration, and finally exhileration as I figured it all out for myself. To have had all these weeks compressed into a few hours, because of spoilers leaking from the careless chat of other explorers would have ruined the experience for me. There are places in the current version of Uru where it is difficult not to be aware of other explorers' conversation, and while I accept that the whole point of an MMO is the ability to share the experience with others, there will always be a few hermits like myself who prefer to DIY.
In general I have found the Uru community to be singularly respectful, couteous and supportive. There are many places outside the game one can visit for information, hints and general discussion, not the least being these forums. I lurk here, and elsewhere regularly, though I seldom post. But I felt compelled to add to this thread because GW has articulated exactly a feeling I have had for some time. Well done GW, and thanks.
s :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:44 am 

Golden Wedge wrote:
Shorah,

I am sure I will catch some flack for posting this, but I think it is important, so bring it on.

what flack????

you are absolutely right on the mark!! thank you for a well thought out post that is extremely timely!!

Image ki #101936

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:08 am 

(((((Hugs))))) to GW

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:30 am 

Golden Wedge wrote:
The first area is in-game spoiling.

The second area is in-game bragging.

The third area is in-game hints:

GW, this is wonderfully stated and absolutely true. Except for one thing. We are not in-game. We are in-test. This will be a perfect guideline when the game is actually available to the world at large, which, unless I seriously misunderstand "Preview" won't occur for a few weeks. (Didn’t the Previewers sign up for Beta too?)

The point of testing is that you're not actually playing the game. You're testing it. There is no spoiling in a test. The only thing you should be discovering for the first time is new bugs. If you're looking for gameplay content and don't want it spoiled, you should seriously consider not testing and wait for the actual release.

However, having said that, I still don’t like gameplay or bug discussion in chat. I find that it makes me start looking for other people’s bugs instead of finding my own. (I think my 10-year-old has the right idea. He just blasts into a game and tries everything; he’s found glitches in every PC game we’ve ever owned!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:28 am 

So going back to how long this preview is going to last. Can someone please explain the dynamics of this "preview".

Were they only allowed in during those two days? Are they still in the game? Are they just here for a week? Are they here till the game goes open beta? I haven't really found much info on this preview.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Preview is on now, as a precursor to open beta. If you are here you are testing, if you are in preview (scroll for the forum), GW's post is appropriate.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah,

Valdera Swede wrote:
GW, this is wonderfully stated and absolutely true. Except for one thing. We are not in-game. We are in-test.

Thanks for your comment but my post has NOTHING to do with Beta, nor preview, nor..., it is only about the time after URU Live launches.

Thanks,

Golden Wedge
"Best, guarantees different"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:56 pm 

Open beta should be just days away; hopefully with the formal opening to follow soon thereafter. There are many in the cavern now who are previewing, not beta testing. When in cavern I think we should speak and behave as though we are Live.

It takes time to change established habits among which have become open discussion of solutions to puzzles and arrival of new features. Let's allow the newcomers the pleasure of discovery, giving them gentle and subtle hints where they need them.

I'd like to see GWs post repeated in the preview section as a refresher for long ago explorers who are returning in Preview and, with a little editing, repeated at the Guild of Greeters web site as a refresher for those of us who are greeters.

Lial
Guild of Greeters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:17 am 
Obduction Backer

Yes, good post, for when the game goes live! In the beta, obviously, there is no such thing as being spoiled.

People's playing styles will vary, like they always do. Some people will want to figure it all out themselves. Some people will want a hint. Some people will want the exact solution. All of those game playing styles are fine. People vary in how much they want to figure out themselves. Many of us are also working on time constraints - we don't get into the cavern for as often as we like.

This doesn't have to do with in-game behavior, but we are starting to think about how we handle "spoilers" in the forum. I know that they go in the game discussion section(s) of the forums, but aside from that, we are still looking at what to do - if we can make any recommendations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:05 pm 

I propose that even in beta when in cavern answers be given out in personal messages to the person who asked and not broadcast to the cavern at large.

Lial

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

I second that. :D This is preview now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

I have to disagree about the difference between in-game and in-test. We are not just testing for bugs but also for playability. That is part of any beta I've ever been in. It's how we got Cyan to change a few things before like the manual power in Gahreesen. When it was first coded, it was way to hard so they changed it. It was not a bug, it was a playability issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:12 am 
Obduction Backer

Oooh... so.. what was the manual power like before?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:12 am 
Obduction Backer

vidkid7 wrote:
Oooh... so.. what was the manual power like before?!

Terrible! I could only get it to work with help (another player sharing my Garri). The "timer" was set to about 5 secs...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next