It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:02 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How many people have yet to see the inside?
I can't even log in! 7%  7%  [ 12 ]
I can't create an avatar! 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
I get a network error! 4%  4%  [ 7 ]
Works for me! 87%  87%  [ 156 ]
Total votes : 180
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:37 pm 

Unfortunately, it is to give up. :roll:

I have tried for more than 3 weeks just to play this game and have had nothing but failures at every turn. Cyan is absolutely no help and you forum dwellers, though very persistent, upbeat and well-intentioned, have not provided an answer either. I have closed my last support ticket (not much point in it anyway, as I never got a response to ANY of them!)

I have been "making PCs work" for more than 25 years professionally and am VP of Tech Services at a pioneering technology company so I think I know a few things about troubleshooting systems. The problem is NOT with my system or network - it is beyond my router (and apparently beyond my ISP) since there are quite a few others with the same problem in other geographical areas.

I want to thank Tomahna Guy for his video http://www.urulive.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3516 and the ONLY glimpse I have had of the actual game environment. It was very entertaining and I highly recommend it. Unfortunately, it really just made me more disappointed that I never got in.

Don't bother making suggestions to me to uninstall and reinstall something (done them all). Don't suggest disabling my firewall (it's not the issue.) And don't tell me to just be patient (I think 3 weeks is pretty darn patient after all!) In fact, there's not much point in responding to this post (unless you do the poll) as I am not going to waste my time on any more ineffective "fixes."

I will be back to see the results of this poll (morbid curiosity, I guess,) but unless an announcement is made BY CYAN that they have fixed the problem I will not be installing the game again. Unfortunately, this poll can't be completely indicative since a lot of people have already given up and gone away.

I am sure Myst Online or Uru Live or whatever they call it will be a huge success, number-wise, but apparently I won't be there to see it. darn shame really. :(

Last edited by jaburg on Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:45 pm 

I am really sorry for you. Though i do not understand why this game seems to work for one person and not for another.

As you kindly suggested, i won't try to suggest anything. And i am sure you know that during your 3 weeks there has been this server migration, which took much longer than anybody hoped.

Well, i will make a iny tiny suggestion at the end. Perhaps, in the near future, after having (built) another machine it could be worth it to try again.

Sorry not to be able to meet you in the cavern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

I couldn't get in - or do anything once I got there - for quite awhile but then it just started working. I am one step up from hostage on my system so I don't have a clue what happened (it certainly wasn't anything I did!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:15 pm 

working ok here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Katbird wrote:
I couldn't get in - or do anything once I got there - for quite awhile but then it just started working. I am one step up from hostage on my system so I don't have a clue what happened (it certainly wasn't anything I did!).

Good luck getting back in once you log out. I've been able to get in ONCE since the server migration and crashed out during the Gahreesen download. No luck since. Always the "0 seconds remaining" screen. This is clear indication that this problem is not on OUR end. It's on THEIR end and it would be nice to get some acknowledgement from Cyan on this - or if they have posted here about this could someone identify the link to that thread for me?

Seems very strange that they would continue to invite more people in to only stand in line. The queue is already too long here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:43 pm 

Works fine for me here, when I tried it a few days ago. I was able to move around through Relto, Gahreesan, Nexus, etc...and then it always crashes when I link to the Ferry Terminal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:50 pm 

Grehn wrote:
Seems very strange that they would continue to invite more people in to only stand in line. The queue is already too long here!

I haven't seen anyone standing in line to go anywhere in the game the last couple of days. Maybe I am just mis-understanding your statement or I am on at differrent times.

Never had any problems downloading, installing or playing the game. Even during the server limitations I was able to get on faily often. Not rubbing it in just reporting my statues.

I think the statement "many can't get on" is more like some can't get on. There are 7000 beta testers, I think. 1% of 7000 is 70. That's not bad to get 99% of the ppl playing if that's the case. It's sad to say but everyone wil not be able to get the game to work. That's just how games are. When I firsted tried to get on There (I think it was), I could not get it to work on my system so I just gave up and never went back to it again.

I do hope you try again in the future. Cyan is probably overwhelmed with bug reports and will get around to most of them sooner or later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:55 pm 

Still can't get passed 0 secs bar since the server move and i have done everything thats been suggested in all the posts I have read
including
installing on 2 separate computers and borrowing a DSL modem off a friend.
Maybe it's just a case of West Oz is too far away I don't know. :(
Have no other net problems web sites UU shards Guild Wars ect ect ect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Grehn wrote:
Katbird wrote:

Good luck getting back in once you log out. I've been able to get in ONCE since the server migration and crashed out during the Gahreesen download. No luck since. Always the "0 seconds remaining" screen. This is clear indication that this problem is not on OUR end. It's on THEIR end and it would be nice to get some acknowledgement from Cyan on this - or if they have posted here about this could someone identify the link to that thread for me?

I have had no problem getting in at all for the past week or so - everytime I try I am in within seconds and can go where I want to... As I said, I don't know what changed but something must have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sudre wrote:
Grehn wrote:

I haven't seen anyone standing in line to go anywhere in the game the last couple of days. Maybe I am just mis-understanding your statement or I am on at differrent times.

You misunderstood. By "standing in line, I was referring to those that are stuck at the various network errors and "updating" screens. For all intents, "waiting in line to link into the game".

Quote:
I think the statement "many can't get on" is more like some can't get on. There are 7000 beta testers, I think. 1% of 7000 is 70. That's not bad to get 99% of the ppl playing if that's the case.

I agree that this would be a reasonable amount but do you have factual evidence that only 1% are not getting in? My guess would be that of the "7000" testers that were invited only a small percentage of that actually replied and signed up. Some have left already - as have documented in other threads. And not everyone that is playing the game posts in these forums, so the user count here can't really be used as a reliable source for estimates.

I realize that this is beta. I was involved in Prologue as well as other game betas and NONE have been this problematic. Not to say that there isn't a first for everything!

My point is that with this many posts from people that can't get in, it would be nice to get SOMETHING from Cyan on the matter. And as I said before - if they HAVE indeed addressed this issue then please post the link so that I can come up to speed.

Afterall, they invited us. Kinda like telling your friends to come over and then leaving the house before they can get there without even leaving a note on the door.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:53 pm 
I'm still in the same boat as Shadowcats, but as I said a while back, I'm not giving up. I have a machine that can theoretically play this game, I'm on the right kind of connection to play it, and I don't believe there is anyone at Cyan or Gametap or anywhere who actively wants me not to be able to play it. Therefore there will be a way. I'll be here. Waiting. Patiently. Okay, maybe not too patiently, but I'll be here. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:24 pm 

Maybe after Live opens there will be a technical issues section where those people that still can't get in will be able to get some help.
I sure hope so any way. Since the game is hosted on GameTaps servers I would think if you can't connect at all it would be an issue with them and not Cyan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

For the Poll, you missed a very important choice.

o Works sometimes

That's my situation. Sometimes I get Shadowcats (and others') "stuck at 0 seconds" bug, and mysteriously sometimes I get on.

Dadguy

EDIT: And while we're on the subject, I have a very simple poll for the QA folks at Cyan.

o We are aware of the connection troubles many are having, and we have a handle on it: it is caused by ____________.

o We are aware of the connection troubles many are having, and we have not got a solid solution to the problem.

o We are aware of the connection troubles many are having, and we have no idea what is causing the problem.

With loyal fans abandoning ship, it would go a long way to easing the frustrations of the many that are not able to participate. The silence and lack of response or acknowledgement can be a source of the frustration.

Last edited by dadguy on Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

I am sorry that you cannot get in, and I am sorry that you feel Cyan isn't giving enough contact.

However, I disagree with that last point. I have seen much, much, much worse. Heck, until recently, we were getting daily updates on the situation of things from various Cyan staff.

There is just one thing I'd quesiton:

jaburg wrote:
I have closed my last support ticket (not much point in it anyway, as I never got a response to ANY of them!)

Why close it? Closing it suggests that the problem no longer exists, and as such the techs will skip it (obviously). However, the problems quite clearly aren't solved, so any useful information you put in your ticket, or contained in your log file which hopefully you attached, are lost, and the chances of solving the problem have dropped.

At least, before you leave good and proper, re-open the ticket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Grehn wrote:
Sudre wrote:
I think the statement "many can't get on" is more like some can't get on. There are 7000 beta testers, I think. 1% of 7000 is 70. That's not bad to get 99% of the ppl playing if that's the case.

I agree that this would be a reasonable amount but do you have factual evidence that only 1% are not getting in? My guess would be that of the "7000" testers that were invited only a small percentage of that actually replied and signed up. Some have left already - as have documented in other threads. And not everyone that is playing the game posts in these forums, so the user count here can't really be used as a reliable source for estimates.

For the sake of argument, let's say that 1% is correct (even though I'd bet money that's higher than that). With "7000" testers, 70 people having problems, sure, doesn't sound that bad. When Live goes live, however, and the numbers increase, and there are suddenly, say, 70,000 subscribers -- that gives us 700 people who potentially can't get in. 700,000 subscribers = 7,000. And so on... The numbers start to add up.

Grehn wrote:
Afterall, they invited us. Kinda like telling your friends to come over and then leaving the house before they can get there without even leaving a note on the door.

That's maybe the best analogy about this I've heard so far. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next