It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:58 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How many people have yet to see the inside?
I can't even log in! 7%  7%  [ 12 ]
I can't create an avatar! 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
I get a network error! 4%  4%  [ 7 ]
Works for me! 87%  87%  [ 156 ]
Total votes : 180
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:17 pm 

Have to disagree with you James L, 1% is 1%. There will always be about the same percentage of ppl who will just not be able to get the game to run and it's probably higher than 1%. All the other programs ppl have running in the background just can't be accounted for. Each motherboard and how it handles the flow of information pooring into it can not be accounted for. Yep, even if you have the right video, audio, memory and net connection the chipset on your mother board could be a problem. Yes that is very rare but it happens. There are just too many parameters to take into consideration. 1% is 1%.

Also the other poster is right. If you close the ticket Cyan will assume your problem fixed itself because you found it was something on your side. It would be better if you resubmited the ticket so they know it is not fixed. Leave a comment at the end that you have been trying forever to get it to work and you are giving up. They might post an answer to your problem to the ticket when it is fixed. That will generate an e-mail to you. I know when I had a bug that I could only get to by doing something I normaly wouldn't, they place a comment on the ticket when they were ready for me to try it again. I recieved an automated e-mail from the ticket system. Closing the ticket just cut you out of ever being personaly informed the problem is fixed.

Also at some point, I would think, they are going to put up a list of supported hardware. Not just the minimum requirements. That will also help for trouble shooting. If ppl don't stick it out until the problem is resolved the particular hardware Cyan believes is causing the problem will just be taken off the supported hardware list until it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sudre wrote:
Have to disagree with you James L, 1% is 1%. There will always be about the same percentage of ppl who will just not be able to get the game to run and it's probably higher than 1%. All the other programs ppl have running in the background just can't be accounted for. Each motherboard and how it handles the flow of information pooring into it can not be accounted for. Yep, even if you have the right video, audio, memory and net connection the chipset on your mother board could be a problem. Yes that is very rare but it happens. There are just too many parameters to take into consideration. 1% is 1%.

I understand that there will always be a small group of people that will not be able to run any given program. In this particular case, however, the percentage is most assuredly higher than 1%. Not that the poll at the top of this thread is scientific by any means, but judging by its results, 14% of us are having problems that have prevented us from ever entering the game itself. I'm sure there is a margin of error there, but I wouldn't be surprised, based on what I've read on these boards, if that number wasn't somewhat close to accurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:38 pm 

Well there are plenty of people not getting in. Some of us for well over a month and a half and others for over 2-3 months. Yes the Cyan support is lacking but this maybe due to numerous issues they have to deal with as well as people power at their end. Patience does have its limits, yes.

I am sure Cyan is aware of issues such as yours and with me its the PhysX loop error, of which I have done numerous and I mean numerous variations of configurationa and install.

In the end there are other things to do than try to get in URU, BUT my only suggestion would be to go away for a while and come back and see if Cyan's next updates/patchers fix the problem. I have been disappointed in updates to get me back inside and it is frustration to hear other go on and on and on about their wonderful and not so wonderful experiences in URU to date. I do not envy them and envy them at the same time. For the moment I have only the one issue while other who can get in have many more.

Keep the faith and come back like I do once and a while to check.

If nothing happens and some of us cannot get in.....there are plenty of other things for us to do out there. URU after all....is just a chatroom and meeting place with some really nice scenery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:51 pm 

jaburg, I'm in pretty much the same situation and have been ever since I downloaded the beta. Cyan has not replied to ANY of my reports - if they don't get their act together and fix this mess, there's no way in fiery abyss I'm buying this broken game when it is released. Sad, really, I had very much looked forward to this...

Golg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:59 pm 

Ditto, but I have already paid for Game Tap and playing other games...be it not many...so I am stuck with a year membership. Ah well, at least my daughter can play Carmen Sandiego and Scooby Doo Mysteries and other kid games for her age. At least she is getting the benefit of it. :)

Its time to play Star Wars Lego :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:13 pm 

I think a lot of these problems are still here because of mis-placed priorities early in the Beta. Hundreds of people can't get in, but at one point, Cyan fixed a "bug" where the updater said "1 seconds" instead of "1 second" remaining.. removing the american flag from the cargo pants would be another misplaced priority.

Don't get me wrong, Cyan did and still is doing a great job with the bugs (a good many bad bugs both from early in the Beta and from UU have been fixed). However, I think Cyan should have specified they only wanted really urgent tickets FIRST and wait until after the largest of the bugs were dealt with that they moved on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Whilyam wrote:
I think a lot of these problems are still here because of mis-placed priorities early in the Beta. Hundreds of people can't get in, but at one point, Cyan fixed a "bug" where the updater said "1 seconds" instead of "1 second" remaining.. removing the american flag from the cargo pants would be another misplaced priority.

Don't get me wrong, Cyan did and still is doing a great job with the bugs (a good many bad bugs both from early in the Beta and from UU have been fixed). However, I think Cyan should have specified they only wanted really urgent tickets FIRST and wait until after the largest of the bugs were dealt with that they moved on.

My sentiments EXACTLY, Whilyam. The focus should have been getting the servers working properly first, and then adding new t-shirt designs and the like...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:38 pm 
aallan wrote:
If nothing happens and some of us cannot get in.....there are plenty of other things for us to do out there. URU after all....is just a chatroom and meeting place with some really nice scenery.

No, that's Until Uru. Uru is an immersive story-driven game world with some really nice scenery. Uru is very likely the last chance we'll have to involve ourselves in the world of D'ni. Uru is the experience I've waited years for, and no, nothing else will quite do. That's why I'm still here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

James L. wrote:
Sudre wrote:

I understand that there will always be a small group of people that will not be able to run any given program. In this particular case, however, the percentage is most assuredly higher than 1%. Not that the poll at the top of this thread is scientific by any means, but judging by its results, 14% of us are having problems that have prevented us from ever entering the game itself. I'm sure there is a margin of error there, but I wouldn't be surprised, based on what I've read on these boards, if that number wasn't somewhat close to accurate.

Meh. I personally would take any poll on a forum with a pinch of salt. I know a fair few people that just never vote in such polls - go straight to the results.

You really cannot draw any conclusions from that poll at all.

And I'm affraid Sudre is quite right. 1% is 1% is 1%. There's no two ways about it. Yes, 7,000 players is a lot more than 70. However, 70 out of 7,000 is identical to 7,000 out of 700,000 - both are insignificant minorities.

However, my guess is also that the percentage is probably slightly above 1%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Islander wrote:
Meh. I personally would take any poll on a forum with a pinch of salt. I know a fair few people that just never vote in such polls - go straight to the results.

You really cannot draw any conclusions from that poll at all.

And I'm affraid Sudre is quite right. 1% is 1% is 1%. There's no two ways about it. Yes, 7,000 players is a lot more than 70. However, 70 out of 7,000 is identical to 7,000 out of 700,000 - both are insignificant minorities.

However, my guess is also that the percentage is probably slightly above 1%.

Yes, I know that polls on a public forum are not necessarily accurate. That's why I said "not scientific by any means" and "I'm sure there is a margin of error there."

And I also understand what 1% is. My point is that 7,000 people will be harder to ignore than 70, no matter how you slice it. And since the percentage is probably higher than 1% (with or without this poll), that makes the situation that much more pervasive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:12 pm 

Folks, I think you will just have to give them some more time.
In most online games there is a small percentage of people that can't get in the game.
At this point we don't know how packets are being handeled, what ports need to be opened and stuff like that.
It would probably be more helpful if you all posted your system specs, which service provider you use, if you use a router and which kind if so, are you using a firewall, and any other kind of software you might be using like adware and/or popup blocker.
You need to see if there is any common link that is causing your problems.
I'm sure Cyan will get around to working on these things eventually, but right now they are concentrating on fixing most of the major bugs that keep everyone from playing.
It may not seem fair, but you all are in the minority unfortunatly. I hope you all will hang in there and keep checking back for solutions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

James L. wrote:
My sentiments EXACTLY, Whilyam. The focus should have been getting the servers working properly first, and then adding new t-shirt designs and the like...

The people who are adding new designs would not be very helpful at fixing servers. Different people, different jobs. Have your cake and eat it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

D'Lanor wrote:
James L. wrote:

The people who are adding new designs would not be very helpful at fixing servers. Different people, different jobs. Have your cake and eat it.

It was a generalized example to make a point. I still agree with the idea that the priorities of Beta were not focused in the most effective ways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

I just now saw this thread... so there may be many people who are able to get in who have not bothered to vote. I dont' usually, but I wanted to post the following:

When I could not get into the first beta build, I did the following:

disabled my firewalls
disabled my virus.
Connected my cable modem directly to the PC.
Did not get in.
Updated my audio drivers.
Got a bit further
Updated my Video drivers.
Got in.
Connected my cable modem to my router and then to my PC.
Got in.
enabled my virus scanning
Got in.
Enabled my firewall for windows:
did not get in.
Adjusted my windows firewall to allow whichever ports was sugested in another thread (forgot which one or which ones)
Got in.
Enabled my Zone Alarm Firewall.
Did not get in.
Went through and set each instance of Uru in Zone Alarm to ask.
Answered allways allow when each came up.
Got in.

At various times,
I was getting network errors - it was not allowing me past the login, or I was able to create an avatar, but then got punched out.

Updated my ticket with all that I did and closed it. I have not had any single-player issue since then. Only the ones that multiple people were having at the same time.

Try it. See if it works. If updating the drivers does not help, roll them back again. Just in case they cause other problems with other programs.

I did have problems with another program after updating the drivers, but that program's website had a fix for it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:15 am 

I have been unable to get past clicking on the Explore Uru button and the "Preparing to Link..." It does hang momentarily at zero seconds like others are experiencing, but then after selecting the explorer (yes, I did create new explorers) get the same NetErrTimeout after a "there was a network eeror...."

I'll wait for a new "boxed" game before I spend 9.95 a month to experience this again.[/img]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next