It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:21 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Zander wrote:
I've had a response *today* from Monarch on the support team. He was surprised that this bug was still happening. I directed him to this thread. It looks as though they are wading through a backlog of tickets and only just got to mine...

Anyway, we now have their attention. Hopefully something will happen.

/me prepares the giant "HELP! S.O.S." sign made out of fallen palm trees, and gets ready to light the signal fire in hopes that Monarch's plane will see us!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, the ticket I've had open about this problem since August was just closed by someone named Indig0. Hopefully that's a good thing...? I'm honestly just happy to see ANY kind of official activity regarding this. I hope it means that they ARE actually working on it, and not that they're just closing tickets to clear up space or something...

/me keeps his fingers crossed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

The bug is back for me right now. After the server upgrade, I am stuck at "0 seconds" on the black updater screen.

Dadguy

EDIT: OK, on the 5th try, and after the Updater got to "13 minutes remaining", the update suddenly finished and I am online now. Strange how it comes and goes for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:28 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Dadguy - you were going to get the transceiver info from your Modem/Router the next time you had the problem - The Wireshark file you sent me a while back showed loads of retransmissions suggesting a line problem.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:02 am 
Obduction Backer

Yes, I checked them and they were actually pretty good at the time of the failure. Here's what I captured:

And... when it finally "worked" again, it took almost 15 minutes to finish the Updater part.

Here's the speed test result:

Haven't tried it tonight again yet.

What do you think?

Dadguy[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:22 pm 

Yeah, 15 minutes squares with what I often saw - it amounts to two failed downloads (two minutes each plus a 5 minute back-off each time) followed by a good download (~45-60 seconds).

As you say, the line figures look indicative of a decent connection and your speed test result show you can get solid throughput that lines up pretty well with your DSL spec. Assuming that these are all under similar conditions, then it looks like you don't have big issues with high contention ratios creating competition for available bandwidth, so I'd be inclined to think that you may have the same problem I had until a couple of weeks ago - the ISP capping/deprioritising gaming traffic. Maybe worth ticketing the issue with them.

In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:02 am 
I'm still exactly where I was. Tried leaving it on zero seconds all night (just in case) and woke up to a network error. I tried that speedtest thing but I couldn't get it to do a download at all--I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:59 pm 

It's worrying if you can't get the speedtest.net test to do anything - I assume you're trying the London or Derby test servers initially, before trying anything exotic, like Spokane?

You could always try this one: http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ - see if that works any better

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes, what happens when you click the "Run Test" button?

By the way, they closed out my ticket on the "zero seconds" bug. The response was:

"They should be getting this one cleared up here soon, as there is an update and a wipe tomorrow.
I'm going to close this guy out, but definitely feel free to open it back up once the update is in."

So, if it's still there I will start a new ticket for sure.

Cheers,

Dadguy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Don't start a new one - re-open that one. they know which one to look for just in case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:36 pm 

My ticket hasn't been responded to yet, but in itself that doesn't matter as long a Cyan have the info, are aware of the issue and are actively addressing it against other (probably older) tickets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:37 am 

To throw my $0.02 into the ring

I've been having major problems getting into the Beta, including the '0 seconds remaining' problem. It turns out there is an intermittent problem on my line that has been tracked down, by elimination, to the wiring in the house. The effect is so intermittent, it will occur randomly even when all (yes, all!) electrical devices in the house have been unplugged (there's a lot of these things these days).

I'm guessing that somewhere in the wiring there is a dodgy connection that randomly introduces noise on the line.

Symptoms include random ADSL drop outs and reconnections, and intermittent drops in the ADSL signal-noise ratio (the 'margin' in Dadguy's transceiver printout).

(A note about tranceiver info: Recent experience has shown that some modems are much more accurate at reporting this info than others - one modem would report variations in SNR margins within seconds; while another would not report any change in SNR margin even when increasing noise led to connection drop outs. As a guide greater than 12db is reasonable, less than 10db is getting into risky country - Amazingly, my modem could occassionally hold a connection with a SNR of only 3db and loss of synch)

Further diagnosis has shown a correlation between SNR deterioration and problems with URU during loading/patching/updating/linking/etc. It seems these are not good times to have your link go flaky, even for very short periods.

I recommend getting your Internet provider to monitor your link for 24 hours and get some info on the amount of errors, packet loss and drop-out/reconnections. Then, if there are problems, they can start tracking down where the problem is coming from. In my case, there's a tech coming in Wednesday to bypass the house wiring and run a dedicated ADSL cable from my PC to the external telco wiring - fingers crossed it works.

Hope this helps someone
- Zen

[edit] p.s. The noise problems sometimes lasted only a few seconds: long enough to disrupt URU, but not long enough for two of the three modems I tried to report any change in the SNR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:11 am 
Obduction Backer

Zenguy wrote:
In my case, there's a tech coming in Wednesday to bypass the house wiring and run a dedicated ADSL cable from my PC to the external telco wiring - fingers crossed it works.

Hope this helps someone
- Zen

[edit] p.s. The noise problems sometimes lasted only a few seconds: long enough to disrupt URU, but not long enough for two of the three modems I tried to report any change in the SNR.

I mentioned this in another thread, but SNR and margin are only part of the story. They don't say much about transient errors like you are experiencing. For that you need to look at your CRC and FEC error counts.

Having a home run installed (the term for a direct line to your DSL modem, with a whole house DSL filter for everything else) is a great idea, and may very well fix your problem, especially if you are sure it is the INTERNAL wiring that is causing the problem. How was the 24 hour monitoring done? One way to determine for sure that it is an internal problem is to hook your modem up directly to the outside network interface and see how things work.

The problem could also be in your "drop", i.e. the wire that connects your house to the service pedestal. Another problem is "bridge taps", i.e. splices in your phone line where another pair goes off to another pedestal that is not connected to anything. That extra pair does not cause any problems in the voice frequency range, but it does cause problems in the frequency range that is used by DSL. Sometimes this is weather dependent, so if your problems can be correlated with weather changes (especially rain) then it is probably an outside wiring problem, not an inside problem.

I am assuming the tech who is coming to install your home run is from the phone company (although it doesn't have to be). If so, take advantage of that fact. While he is there, ask him to inspect any non buried portions of your outside connection. Also see if he can at least examine the pedestal that your line is connected to to see if there is a bridge tap there (there can be bridge taps at multiple places between your house and the DSLAM, but it is probably unreasonable at this point to expect them to search and destroy all bridge taps unless you continue to have problems). Even if the home run solves your problem, your connection will benefit from the removal of each bridge tap that exists on your line.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8