It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

I noticed that tendency also, Cats. However, I posted recently that perhaps Cyan had put some software in that made the "Updating" process a little more forgiving, because now it was recovering from the 'stuck' and 'stuttering' progress bar. See here:

http://www.urulive.com/forums/viewtopic ... 5911#65911

Based upon that experience, I have stopped using ALT-F4 when it starts to "stutter' and it recovers now (..for me. Granted, sometime it takes 10 minutes or more).

Hang in there,

Dadguy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

dadguy wrote:
James L, the "0 seconds" error wouldn't be considered a CTD. A Crash To Desktop is when you are playing and suddenly the game disappears and you are at your bright desktop, and most players are having those from time to time (I believe).

Thanks, all!

Dadguy

I actually already know that, dadguy, thanks. Was just trying to make a little joke...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:02 pm 
Shadowcats wrote:
Have noticed if the bar stops downloading for a certain time 1/2 or 3/4 of the way across
then starts downloading again it never fully finishes after 0 seconds

That's exactly what happens with me, every time. Maybe they think I'm in Australia... :? My only hope now is what Dadguy said, that maybe at some point it will just happen. It would still have been nice to know what was causing it, but I guess they took Semplerfi at his word and decided that fixing the game was more important than telling us stuff. (Except that as far as we're concerned the game isn't...oh well.)

Deep sigh. Try again before bedtime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

That is a feature request for Cyan... if I understand correctly, the download is not 'resumable'. If you have a break in transmission the download is attempted from the beginning, not from where you got to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

One thing I do is keep an eye on my hard drive light. Usually during the zero second thing, my hard drive is pretty busy. Also when starting new ages, I'll get a black screen before anything happens but my hard drive is doing something. You have to give it time to complete it's download.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

since I work URU in windowed mode, I do the same thing, but I use the task manager. I sort the processes by CPU, and as long as the game is up there, I don't worry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:59 pm 
Ah. Is there any way to make it be windowed if you've never got as far as getting in? A .INI file we can edit or something? If I could see Task Manager without alt-tabbing out that might help...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sort of. The ini file is encrypted. Ask D'Lanor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:48 pm 

There is an internal timer that seems to cause problems.
I can get in but at a ridiculous time in the morning, suggesting latency.

I tried this morning at 6:30 and I had no problem, now its 12:30pm here in NZ and I get the great zero.

If you guys try the same, and post your experience, login at some ridiculous time in the morning and see if it helps, when local web traffic is at its lowest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:43 am 
Obduction Backer

Zander wrote:
Ah. Is there any way to make it be windowed if you've never got as far as getting in? A .INI file we can edit or something? If I could see Task Manager without alt-tabbing out that might help...

I have saved a windowed mode graphics.ini file on the Cyan FTP. You have to put this into your init folder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:17 am 

Sigh I just about ready to chuck my hands up in the air at this point.
I'll will keep trying just not as much anymore :(
I have only gotten in 2 times since the server move and always ended in a CTD after a few minutes
NEVER had this problem running the Beta since I was accepted many many months ago right up to the point of the server switch.
Sorry but Cats is depressed right now. :( :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:32 am 
Thanks, D'Lanor. I was able to watch the process this time. Not that it told me anything useful...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:02 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Rusty_Russell wrote:
That is a feature request for Cyan... if I understand correctly, the download is not 'resumable'. If you have a break in transmission the download is attempted from the beginning, not from where you got to.

Yeah, I think that's how I understand it.

In your logs there's a line that says something like "38 files added to the secure download queue". The obvious question is "So if I get part of the way through the download, why don't I skip the files I've already got?". I'm guessing here, but I think the answer is "because if you don't complete the download then you haven't got any of the files" - I think that the set of files is "compressed" on the fly to make the download size smaller and then decompressed at your PC. You get more gain by compressing all the files together rather than individually, but the penalty is you need the whole download before you can recover any of the files.

There are ways that an interrupted download can be resumed, but they may be tricky to implement, particularly if there's a reasonable risk that the content of the download could change between attempts.

I'm also of the opinion (for what it's worth) that Cyan have done this deliberately as a means of locking out people who can't achieve a throughput that would support a "comfortable multiplayer experience", or possibly in the hope that resuming the connection after a delay will hit a time when a faster download is obtainable. With some marginal connections (say 384kbs-512kbs) this might well be what happens, hence if you wait long enough you'll eventually get lucky.

However none of this helps explain why someone with a 1.5 or 2Mbps connection can never get past "0 seconds". There has to be something else going on in these cases.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:15 pm 
Well, thirty-nine files turn up in our temp folder each time. They all seem to be zero bytes, but the file names are there, all starting with CY. I don't know what we're downloading all the time the connection's actually working, because it doesn't seem to go into those files.

I hope you're wrong about the reason. It would not be hard, in those cases, to add a message saying "Sorry, your connection is not sufficiently fast/reliable/whatever to play Uru Live. Don't bother trying again till you've upgraded." It wouldn't be hard to increase the minimum system specs to include only those connections that can work all the time. It wouldn't be hard to do SOMETHING other than leaving us out in the cold, hammering on a door that will never ever open, and not even responding to our increasingly feeble cries for help.

So I really hope this is a problem and not a feature, and I hope Cyan are indeed working on it, and I hope someday they tell us what's happening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:48 am 

Very true Zander just a message would go a long long way IMO
at relieving why the heek we get stuck at 0 sec.
"Your speed is not worthy go away"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next