It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:21 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:14 am 

Zander wrote:
Well, thirty-nine files turn up in our temp folder each time. They all seem to be zero bytes, but the file names are there, all starting with CY. I don't know what we're downloading all the time the connection's actually working, because it doesn't seem to go into those files.

I hope you're wrong about the reason. It would not be hard, in those cases, to add a message saying "Sorry, your connection is not sufficiently fast/reliable/whatever to play Uru Live. Don't bother trying again till you've upgraded." It wouldn't be hard to increase the minimum system specs to include only those connections that can work all the time. It wouldn't be hard to do SOMETHING other than leaving us out in the cold, hammering on a door that will never ever open, and not even responding to our increasingly feeble cries for help.

So I really hope this is a problem and not a feature, and I hope Cyan are indeed working on it, and I hope someday they tell us what's happening.

My guess is the first is definitly the python.pak and the rest are sum files, that much I gather from the single player version of uru.

But the real problem is python.pak, I cannot see, if it cannot be continually download, stopo the timer and restart that file if resume is not possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:07 pm 

Actualy got in again today after trying for 4 hours straight :D
did the cleft did some ages again found some stuff
got to city seen a few i knew said hi then CTD and again back at
0 seconds for last 30 min
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
looks like i can only get in once every few days to me it doesn't seam to matter what time of day either .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:09 pm 

I've managed to get in about four times now over the past two hours (I was reconnecting a lot, to see how repeatable it was).

Things definitely seemed to improve when (based on advice from a different thread) I disabled the "Checksum Offload" option in the properties for my network card (in the Device Manager). I've got an nForce board, incidentally.

However even now it seems to poke along for about six and a half minutes (on average), and then the bar suddenly goes all the way to the end within about twenty seconds. I suspect at least some of this is the 5-minute-backoff's fault.

As an experiment I tried re-enabling that option and trying again; at around four minutes it tends to lose the plot and issue a network error 6. So switching that off does appear to have helped something somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:33 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Shadowcats wrote:
Very true Zander just a message would go a long long way IMO
at relieving why the heek we get stuck at 0 sec.
"Your speed is not worthy go away"

Well the Gametap requirements don't help much - just says you need "broadband" :?

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:55 am 
I have an nForce card, but it doesn't have that option. I've got Flow Control, IEEE802.1P Support, Low Power State Link Speed, Network Address, Optimise For (CPU or Throughput), Speed/Duplex Settings (currently on Force 10 Full Duplex), VLAN Id, VLAN Support, Wake On Magic Packet, Wake On Pattern, Wake On LAN from Power Off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:38 pm 

On my one the Checksum Offload option appears just above all those. I've got a bunch of ones starting with "ASF", then "Checksum Offload", "Flow Control", "IEEE802 IP Support", "Jumbo Frame Payload Size", and a few more.

Maybe it's something about the driver version? I'm using nVidia driver 4.8.2.0, dated 6 April 2005.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Has anybody had any luck with this problem by going through the GameTap client, now that the GameTap Beta Preview has launched? I've read that both versions are the same, so I wouldn't expect any change, but you never know. As for me, I'm not really wanting to wait through the download if nothing has changed. Just wondering if anybody else has had any luck with it...if so, I may be more inclined to download the GameTap version. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:00 am 

Zander wrote:
I have an nForce card, but it doesn't have that option.

If yours doesn't have that option, it is not capable of doing it so it is the same as being disabled.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:24 am 

Well I don't have the Gametap client ( Aussie) just using normal access and today have got in 3 times without any problems or waiting. :shock:
I haven't done anything my end so I don't know whats changed but something has.
Takes lass than 1 min 40 seconds for the bar to go accross now not 5 min or more then stops.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:47 am 
Obduction Backer

It's pretty much evident now, as far as I'm concerned, that Cyan simply has no intention of addressing this issue in any way before launch. Is it really that much to ask for just an update...even just an acknowledgment...something?? Sadly, I guess it is.

All it takes is 5 minutes to say "We're still working on it," or "Sorry, the minimum required connection speed is..." I would be happy either way, just so long as there was some kind of communication.

Oh well. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:52 am 
Obduction Backer

Hey folks, don't feel down :(. I've had tech replies to this issue (last one dated about a month ago) and I know they haven't forgotten us. You can see yourself that they've been working on it. Anyone remember that it wasn't that long ago that the download would just start at 3 minutes, and if your files weren't downloaded by the time 3 minutes were up, it would just restart. Things have changed a bit since then.

If we're not getting replies, I'm going take that as a sign that they're busy working on it! Don't forget that they want us to get in, so we can run around and break other stuff!

It looks like we've just got one of the more difficult problems to solve, and the best thing we can do is cooperate by keeping our tickets up-to-date and useful. Mac_Fife and a'moaca' are the people here who are gathering and interpreting the information, and I presume they each have created detailed tickets containing this information. Everyone who has this issue should be mentioning their names in their tickets, and pointing to the valuable work that they've done as a possible cause of their own issues. Zander and Shadowcats, you folks seem to be special cases, in that your connections should be fast enough, yet you still have the same problems as us slow-pokes, so make sure you mention each other's names in your tickets. There should be no skerrick of useful information that is written in these forums, but not documented in a ticket that can't be found easily (I love that word, "skerrick" :))

Also, when new builds come out, we should all make a point of re-testing our problems, and documenting if there have or haven't been any changes. Just a quick note that says "Problem still occurring as of build ----" is enough to show that we're still out here testing and willing to help.

Until then, all we can do is sit tight and be patient. I know it's hard when all the new site designs are going up around us and everyone else seems to be having all the fun, but I reckon the worst case scenario is that we won't get in until launch, and that's a pretty good worst case scenario. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:02 am 
Obduction Backer

Nice summary and sentiments, Reekoo.

Dadguy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:21 am 
Obduction Backer

Reekoo wrote:
Hey folks, don't feel down :(. I've had tech replies to this issue (last one dated about a month ago) and I know they haven't forgotten us. You can see yourself that they've been working on it. Anyone remember that it wasn't that long ago that the download would just start at 3 minutes, and if your files weren't downloaded by the time 3 minutes were up, it would just restart. Things have changed a bit since then.

I'm not so sure that the changes we've seen in this bug are due to any specific attention to the bug itself. It seems to me like any changes have been more of a byproduct of other server-related updates. I think that if Cyan were actively trying to fix this specific problem, there would have been noticeable changes for the better by now, not the sort of lateral moves that have taken place so far. It's one thing to say things have changed, it's another to say they have changed for the better. :)

Quote:
If we're not getting replies, I'm going take that as a sign that they're busy working on it! Don't forget that they want us to get in, so we can run around and break other stuff!

I don't buy the argument that they couldn't take 5 minutes out of the day to keep us informed, because they're just sooo busy working on the problem. It would take virtually no time at all to write a quick message to keep us up to date.

Quote:
It looks like we've just got one of the more difficult problems to solve, and the best thing we can do is cooperate by keeping our tickets up-to-date and useful. Mac_Fife and a'moaca' are the people here who are gathering and interpreting the information, and I presume they each have created detailed tickets containing this information. Everyone who has this issue should be mentioning their names in their tickets, and pointing to the valuable work that they've done as a possible cause of their own issues. Zander and Shadowcats, you folks seem to be special cases, in that your connections should be fast enough, yet you still have the same problems as us slow-pokes, so make sure you mention each other's names in your tickets. There should be no skerrick of useful information that is written in these forums, but not documented in a ticket that can't be found easily (I love that word, "skerrick" :))

Also, when new builds come out, we should all make a point of re-testing our problems, and documenting if there have or haven't been any changes. Just a quick note that says "Problem still occurring as of build ----" is enough to show that we're still out here testing and willing to help.

I agree that we should all do our part as Beta testers to find the bugs and report them to Cyan. Unfortunately, it seems to have fallen on some of the more technically adept members to actually try and find the cause of the bugs as well, which should, instead, be Cyan's job. Not to say that folks shouldn't try and figure it out if they so choose, but it's not a Beta testers' responsibility to do so.

Quote:
Until then, all we can do is sit tight and be patient. I know it's hard when all the new site designs are going up around us and everyone else seems to be having all the fun, but I reckon the worst case scenario is that we won't get in until launch, and that's a pretty good worst case scenario. :)

I hope you're right. Sadly, though, I foresee an even worse case scenario in store for us. :( I hate to be that pessimistic, but based on the past 4 months, I can't help but feel that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:41 am 
Obduction Backer

Well, that's ok dude. If you choose to be pessimistic with a chance of happy surprise, as opposed to optimistic with a chance of disappointment, I can't fault that decision. There's a good chance I may be wrong, let us hope that is not the case, hey?

The main point of my post is to tell folks who have never received a response to their tickets that at least some people have, and that the problem is not being totally ignored. Hopefully that it may brighten the day ahead for those who have given up.

I do however, disagree that it has become our responsibility to find the cause of bugs. We've been conducting this level of investigation entirely by our own choice. We could leave all investigation to Cyan, and arguably they'd be better equipped to find the causes of these problems. However, we're doing this investigation as an offer of help, in order to hopefully solve the problem faster. We signed up as Beta Testers (I hope) to provide help to Cyan first. Until we are paying customers we have no rights to a level of technical support or contact. For us, the benefit of being an unpaid beta tester is that we can choose how much help we wish to give, and we can opt out of testing whenever we wish. And maybe we'll be lucky enough to see a bit of the game before launch :)

Here's hoping another update comes soon, maybe we'll get lucky this time. Until then, there's many more games to play

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:28 pm 
I've had a response *today* from Monarch on the support team. He was surprised that this bug was still happening. I directed him to this thread. It looks as though they are wading through a backlog of tickets and only just got to mine...

Anyway, we now have their attention. Hopefully something will happen.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next