It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:01 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:36 am 

:idea: Anyone who is getting network errors just trying to connect to the game itself need to see if they have an NVidia Chipset on their Motherboard providing their network interface. If so, you may need to disable Checksum Offload in the advanced properties of the adapter (go into device mgr, expand the tree and right-click your network adapter. Click on the Advanced tab and see if one option is "Checksum Offload." If so, disable it.

I was having problems with corrupted downloads of the MystOnline Beta setup file so I started to investigate why I might be getting an invalid checksum value. I found this article at MS http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/network/taskoffload.mspx and it seemed to fit the case. I then searched these forums for "checksum offload" and found a thread where Rusty Russell mentioned that exact term and suggested disabling the "feature."

After disabling it, I was able to log in and play for the first time ever since Nov. 9 and the original invitation. And let me tell you, I didn't crash in more than 2 hours of solid play!

We need to get the word out to anyone who is having similar problems to at least check their adapter's settings. Since there are dozens of manufacturers of NICs, there may be a number that support this setting. Apparently it is not playing nice with Gametap's servers. Maybe there is a way to trap for this in the game's communication protocols.

Anyway, after FINALLY getting to play the game I must say I am pretty impressed. Seems like most of you folks already got the bugs out before I got in :D Most of the time was spent just running around and looking at all the scenery! Everything was pretty smooth and well-rendered. Movement was fluid and natural and download times for the different ages didn't take more than about 6 or 8 minutes. I would still prefer to download all the ages and resources up front and have less interruption.

All in all, good job so far. I hope I actually get to spend some time in before everything goes to "pay for play" and the masses start swarming in. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:21 am 
Obduction Backer

Hi jaburg,
good to see you made it in finally!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:42 am 
Obduction Backer

Well done, Jaburg! Credit is Mustard Jeep's. This came up again recently and I remembered his post from some months ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:38 pm 
Yay! Told you. ;) I'm so glad your patience was rewarded.

You're in, Shadowcats is in...guess that just leaves me...

*crickets*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

I have a netgear ga311 gigabit adapter. Would the same thing apply?

"If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Zander wrote:
Yay! Told you. ;) I'm so glad your patience was rewarded.

You're in, Shadowcats is in...guess that just leaves me...

*crickets*

Nope, me too. :(

*tumbleweed*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

painter1953, have you ever got to your relto?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes, Rusty, I have and completed the game a bunch of times with different avi's. Usually Vizcaya or Illumiana. I do get network errors though. I was reporting them as CTD's and the tech said a true CTD was when you get no notice.

Are you thinking this situation might not apply? Befroe I change anything I was just wondering if my adapter could cause the errors. I checked and the setting was not disabled.

"If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:18 pm 

Thanks for the Tip, JA. I am running the chipset you mentioned, with the feature enabled and have been able to get in since day one... however I am going to try disabling it to see if it helps with frequent CTD's I've had when linking. This one pops up without fail after a heavy voice session in-game, when in the Bahro caves or after visitng the Cavern. (And yes, as a side note, I have indeed posted to thread for it, as Cyan asked us to.) The reason I'm going to try this is that you mentioned playing for two hours with no problems.

Glad to see you got in. Most gratifying! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

I too have the nVidia chipset, but I turned this setting off early in Beta, and I don't have CTDs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Yes, Rusty, I have and completed the game a bunch of times with different avi's.
Then you don't need to worry about the setting. It's a must if you've never got past Preparing to Link after the avatar selection screen (and have an nvidia network card).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:11 am 

this wont be true for everyone, I think as I have the Nvida and have Had NO problems since I upgraded my DSL speed connection. just an fyi.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:24 am 
Obduction Backer

That's true, Chris. You got stuck at 0 seconds remaining. The setting only needs to be changed if someone gets stuck permanently at Preparing to Link.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:10 am 
Obduction Backer

jaburg wrote:
After disabling it, I was able to log in and play for the first time ever since Nov. 9 and the original invitation. And let me tell you, I didn't crash in more than 2 hours of solid play!

I've been trying to figure this out since I was accepted into beta. I've installed windows on 2 other hard drives, and 1 worked and the other didn't.

This fixed my issue on all installations.

I love you, man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:44 am 

Yeah, something akin to this was my problem way back when I first got invited. I have two NICs on my motherboard, though, so I just switched from the nVidia one to the Marvell one, and all was good. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next