It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:41 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

What is your prefrence on accessing Uru?
I would like a stand alone client 47%  47%  [ 53 ]
I would like to use the GameTap client 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
I don't care, I just want in 44%  44%  [ 50 ]
If there is no stand alone client I might not play as much or not at all. 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 113
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:26 am 

What is your preference on how to access Uru? I'm asking here and in general because I'd like to see the difference in answers.

I presume almost everyone in the beta section is probably a Myst fan and in the game's main demographic. The general section is open to anyone with a game tap account and encompasses their main demographic (or it does now since the preview started. I see a lot of questions that show a lack of general Myst knowledge). Perhaps if the numbers speak loud enough someone from above might notice :D

After all, we all pay the same price so there is no loss of revenue. In fact if most of us use a stand alone client there would be less traffic on GameTap's servers (while still getting paid for their service)

Oh, by stand alone client I mean one available in conjunction with the GameTap client (we will always be able to get in through GameTap)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:56 am 
Obduction Backer

Well, for now this is a non-issue, because if you use the Gametap client to do the install it just installs Uru in a directory under the Gametap install directory. If you do a search for UruLauncher.exe under your Gametap directory you will find it. You can run it directly without having to go through the Gametap client, and it behaves the same (because it is the same) as the current stand alone client we've used in the beta. So for now it looks like we will have the option of using a stand alone client. Whether or not that will change is anyones guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Going through gametap is really just a 30 second inconvenience. If they want to make it work that way, I'm fine with it (and it does sort of make sense what with all their other games working that way). They're putting down the money for all this, so I have no problem letting them call the shots, especially on little things like this.

That said, if I were in charge, I'd go with the stand-alone client.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:17 pm 

I'm using the GT client now. It just seems to be another way to login. Then it just runs the patcher. I don't see any difference. It doesn't seem like the GT client interferes. I don't really care either way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:08 pm 

Wow, both results are about the same: overall favor goes to stand alone access.

Now, I wonder if any powers above have actually seen this. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

53 total votes is hardly enough to make Cyan or GameTap change anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:13 pm 

I don't see a point in this discussing. The GT client makes live either for you.

Someone made a test a few days ago. The GameTap client consumes less than 1 MB of memory and virtual no CPU power after URU is started. It has some benefits, too. The GT client is showing a nice 101 intro video to URU while downloading the software.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:11 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm one of the people who voted that I won't be playing if I can't get in via the stand-alone client. I didn't vote this way out of a dislike for GameTap or their interface. I've got two systems, an older one running Win2K that is on it's last legs, and a nice shiny new top of the line system with a dual-core 64 bit processor. Not knowing that GameTap won't run on WinXP 64, that's what I loaded on it. So at this point, for me, it's the stand-alone client or nothing. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:12 am 
Obduction Backer

I would prefer to have a standalone client for a few reasons.

First, it's often more than a 30 second delay to get into GameTap. At least once a week when I log into GameTap, there's a new update to the GameTap client. Often there are new games they've added to their roster. I am forced to wait while the client updates to support these new games... when I really just want to play a game I've already downloaded from them. I'm much rather have the option to apply the update immediately *or* continue on into GameTap, and have the update be applied when I am done gaming for the night. Even better, include an option to shut the computer off when done applying the update.

Second, GameTap might complicate things a bit with alt-tabbing in and out of Uru. I'm not sure why but it doesn't seem too stable with alt-tab (I alt-tabbed out of Railroad Tycoon II Platinum and it dragged my laptop system to its knees). I alt-tab in and out of games quite a bit. The standalone Uru client doesn't seem to have any significant problems with alt-tabbing, but by adding GameTap to the mix, it just adds another opportunity for something to break.

Third, I find that the whole startup to GameTap is loud and obnoxious. There is no option to disable GameTap TV from blaring at me the moment the interface comes up. I'll live with it if I have to... and I do, when I want to play one of GameTap's other games. But I would like some more interface options in GameTap in general before I'm forced to use it to play Uru.

If I had assurance and/or a way to solve all three of the above issues, I wouldn't mind nearly as much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:13 am 
Obduction Backer

alt-tabbing varies between games - some are ok - and other's will mess up your system - Uru seems to be ok though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:39 am 

Tiran wrote:
I don't see a point in this discussing. The GT client makes live either for you.

ces wrote:
53 total votes is hardly enough to make Cyan or GameTap change anything.

There is always point in discussion.

53 votes is a good number for the ratio of people visiting this board. And the ratio of the poll results have stayed about the same since it opened up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:03 pm 

greypiffle wrote:
alt-tabbing varies between games - some are ok - and other's will mess up your system - Uru seems to be ok though.

Whether or not a game does well Alt-tabbing depends on when it was built. RRT II is slightly before multitasking became common so it's a resource hog no matter how good your specs are. I could say the same thing about alot of games in the GT catalogue because they're older games. The amount this is GT's fault is pretty minimal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:33 am 
Obduction Backer

I would agree with that tsrblke. When I playe3d Zork Grand Inquisitor from GT, it would restructure my whole desktop. When I got out of the game, it would have completly rearrange my desktop icons. Other games do not cause that to happen. It's not GameTap so much as it is access to various games on GameTap. in the case of Uru, alt-tabbing works just fine, so there should be no problem in that area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:23 am 
Obduction Backer

I have GT and don't see any major problems with it. In fact, I love the ability to get all those other games for free :) My system isn't SOTA (it is 3 years old) but it is a good one and my connection is cable so perhaps that makes a difference. But I would play UL no matter what interface I had to use :)

So far I haven't had the problems with my desktop changing after playing a GT game except for Uru Live. Uru Live has a major affect on my default gamma setting :( Otherwise I have not had a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:37 pm 

Oh great. Now I have Stand Alone Client, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex mixed together in my head. I'm seeing The Major and Batou running around Uru in my head. :shock:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]