It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:29 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Do you think well known or long time used avie names should be available for their long time owner only after the launch of Myst Online: Uru Live
Poll ended at Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:58 am
Yes, a name should be secured for like... ever 25%  25%  [ 39 ]
Yes, a name should be secured for a period of time. Say 6 months 23%  23%  [ 37 ]
Yes, but only if the person has specifically asked to do so 36%  36%  [ 58 ]
No, all names should be available for everyone 10%  10%  [ 16 ]
No, no need to... I like to come up with something fresh 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Either way I'm happy 6%  6%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 159
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rusty_Russell wrote:
Everything you buy online, be it software or hardware, is treated as an imported product in Europe and subject to the VAT of the importing country where the tax isn't added at source.

If I buy software from the US I pay 17.5% VAT (UK rate). If I buy software from the Netherlands (within the EU) I don't pay anything else but the purchase price already includes NL VAT at 19%.

How is that tax collected? Certainly not every little mom & pop online business in the U.S. knows about or cares about assessing VAT and then paying that to your country, right? Is it assessed by your credit card company (what if you paid by international money order)? Is it assessed as a customs fee (and if so, how do they know the value of what you bought? Do you have to prove the value?). Or are you responsible for paying it yourself? If so, how do they know you owe it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:58 am 

Oddly enough this can be an issue for someone who accidentally appropriates someone else's long term name as well. I am Alan out of cavern and in but I have had alot of people thinking I was another Alan who aparently ran a shard for some time. having come in after the time of kagiki's and other such things the only section of UU I ever made it onto was D'mala. Then I show up here and have people thinking I'm someone they know from before its somewhat disconcerting on this end too. I still want to be me but I do think certain people should be able to lock down there names under a fairly strict set of circumstances set down by Cyan. what happens if someone snakes Brian Fioca's name from under him or something like that... how much mischief could that end up with, having someone running around impersonating someone who has actually entered into permanent texts within the cavern?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:10 am 

I voted yes, but specifically chosen by the player.

Avie name: StarLion
Used since: 1996 on a web forum (I've used it for everything ever since)
UrU game:
- UrU Prologue
- Until UrU
- Myst Online beta
Uru related Forums:
- All Ubisoft Uru forums
- All Cyan Uru forums
- DRC Forum
- Guild of Greeters
- Uruobsession
- Clockwork Orange

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:35 am 
Obduction Backer

I have used my name KrystalPi since 2003 and would really be sad if someone took it.
Two days ago I saw someone in a log file that used a name that obviously was avienamestealing: krystal+something+pi

Maybe first time my name was officially used was in the photocontest at mystworlds, remember that one:) ?
http://www.mystworlds.com/us/contest_ph ... llery7.php

Why dont we have a new photoplay contest soon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'll throw my vote with keeping a name if requested....

I am in a dilema though...

I've been Twi-lite for what seems ages...

UrU prologue
Until Uru - every shard i was ever on
D'mala
Myst Online Beta

On all the forums, I've tried registering as Twi-lite, but some won't take the hyphen so, its Twilite....that is what happened on GameTap...I'm Twilite there,

so...my dilema, is should I be Twi-lite or Twilite?

I'd reallly like to keep both!

My way of dealing wiht that is logging into Myst Online early, and securing both names.

Twi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:53 pm 

Avtar name:The stranger
Used since:I don't know...
UrU game:
Prologue
Until uru(d'mala)
Myst online Uru live beta(just build 9)

And i hope myst online(the full game)

but i didn't like the singel player uru games(and real myst.it look fine,but not like myst,riven,exile and revelation).d'mala is ...good.but myst online going to be very good.I understand 3rd(or 1st)person is the only way to play online games.but the storyline is still wierd in all of the myst games.wierd and interasting...but uru storyline is wierd...and not intresting.

i write too much...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:16 pm 

Twi-lite wrote:
My way of dealing wiht that is logging into Myst Online early, and securing both names.

Twi

I think that is the best strategy. I don't think they can do much about preserving names after a wipe. Maybe, they'll be nice enough to give us testers a small head start. I think we can all be trusted here not to (intentionally) create name difficulties for each other.

Gathered Restorers Awaiting To Explore For URU Lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:19 am 
Obduction Backer

J'on wrote:
On the other issue of reserving Avatar names, perhaps people who will not be able to get in to Uru right away can work with other fans they trust to get their name reserved. Every account has 5 avatar slots. Most people don't need that many and could create an avatar to reserve the name for you until you can get in at a later date. At that point you could arrange to "transfer" the avatar name. That would basically mean that at a prearranged time the person reserving the name would delete the avatar that was holding the name, and the person wanting the name would log in as soon as possible afterwards and create an avatar with the name that was just released.

This is really to most do-able suggestion I've seen here so far. I don't think Cyan or GameTap has any way (or the time) to put some kind of name-reservation mechanism in place before Dec. 20th.

We know there will be a "run" to get online on the 20th. Is there potential for abuse? I suppose, yes. Most most of the folks here aren't like that. (Though, the Zardoz/Zard0z debacle does come to mind... :) ...for those of you in beta three years ago...)

Could someone take your name accidentally? Possibly... but honestly, unless your name is "common" or a variation of what some might consider a common name, you probably don't have a whole lot to worry about.

If you are worried about losing your preferred name since you aren't going to be able to get in right away, contact someone who will be logging in on day one and ask them to create an avvie with your preferred name. As J'on states above, when you're ready to log on, have them delete the avvie in question and you should be good to go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:36 am 
Obduction Backer

I respectfully disagree.

Having to rely on someone else to reserve your on-line name seems a bit wierd and definitely unreliable. Under such a system you will see the same kind of cyber squatting you see now with domain names. Let me give you an example:

Pretend I am Joe Clone the Cyber Squatter.
I read this thread and take down names that people are VERY attached to. If I am very clever I might take down the names of the people who post the most, Mods, etc. I then make darn sure that I am sitting at my compy and spamming the intro to make sure I am among the first to log on. Then I quickly "tag" the names of the people I know about. Shortly thereafter I send an e-mail saying that for "X" dollars I will release the "Name" you want.

Cyan did not reserve beta names in Prologue and several people were unhappily surprised to see their names usurped. I would hate to see that kind of grief happen again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:54 am 

mine has been lordedmond since 2003

used in the first beta and in uru live ect

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:07 am 

Does anyone know for sure what time it will be turned on on the 20th or 21st for me?
Would be good to know specially for us internationals we could be sleeping and many hours later wake up go to login and :(

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5