It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:51 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Do you think well known or long time used avie names should be available for their long time owner only after the launch of Myst Online: Uru Live
Poll ended at Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:58 am
Yes, a name should be secured for like... ever 25%  25%  [ 39 ]
Yes, a name should be secured for a period of time. Say 6 months 23%  23%  [ 37 ]
Yes, but only if the person has specifically asked to do so 36%  36%  [ 58 ]
No, all names should be available for everyone 10%  10%  [ 16 ]
No, no need to... I like to come up with something fresh 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Either way I'm happy 6%  6%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 159
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:57 pm 

I think that these should be reserved, but then, I've only seen 1 other instance of "Alhon" on the net...

Name: Alhon
UrU Experience:
Uru: CC
UU
Myst Online Beta

Forums:
DRCsite.org
The Cavern Today
Cavern Communications Network
Lakewater Storytelling
Myst Online: Uru Live
Uru Obsession
DPWR
probably more... i've forgotten...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

I also voted yes. I have used this name on all Uru Myst forums as well as Prologue -- Live. For those of us who have been around and are recognizable, it is an important issue and one that, IMO, should be taken into account by the developers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

I had this name since prologue
used in UU shards
dmala
uru beta sept 06
uru preview
gametap
gog
UO forums
slackers forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:36 pm 

Leonor wrote:
It should be like when you register for a forum or email adress. First come, first served and you get to keep it for ever.

It's not clear wether international player are able to join URU on the first day or not. Currently some people from countries like Austria (There are no kangaroos in Austria *g*) are unable to join beta because of legal issues.

First come first serve is only fair when everybody is equal. It's not fair if US/Canadian citizens are 'more equal' than the rest of the world.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think it depends on name recognition *within the Uru community* really.

If "Fred", the Uru player who's known on all the communities, can't make it into Uru right away, then it would be bleh if someone else came along and made a "Fred" avvie, and I could see the original "Fred" petitioning for his name.

If someone who'd never been in Uru before got made because they've always been "Greorge" in every other game, and someone else made a "George" in Uru first, I'd see less reason to grant them the name.

Right now, I think it would be a PITB for Cyan to try and keep track, or somehow program it in. But, if for some bizzare reason someone managed to make 'Eleri' before me, I'd hope something could be worked out.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

I voted a resounding YES to secure our avie names permanently....The SuperGram name has been with me in my family since the early 1990's and I think it's pretty well know in the Myst/Uru community.

I've used SuperGram on AOL, AIM, GoogleTalk, G-mail, MSN, TeamSpeak and Skype.....

The SuperGram name has been with me in Uru since I first entered the cavern in prologue Jan. 4, 2004. SuperGram has been with me in UntilUru, (including D'mala) since I entered Aug. 6, 2004 and remains there to date. SuperGram has been my name throughout beta and is registered on GameTap.

SuperGram is registered on many Myst/Uru forums...I've listed quite a few that come to mind but I'm sure there are more.

Myst/Uru Obsession
The Cavern Today
Slackers
TMP
GOG
German Uru-Reallife
The Great Tree
D’ni Guild
Cyan Chat
DRC
UCF
Myst Community
A Joy Forever
DPWR
Ubi
Dutch Myst Community
AlphaBlue
AgeBuilders
Tapestry
Lostkin
UruLive
Desert Shard
Lost City of Atlantis
Swiss Until Uru

So you can see...I'd be pretty upset if my name were taken by someone intentionally or unintentionally.....I also think no variation of the name should be allowed except by the owner creating alternate avies. For example upper or lower case or adding dots like I do for alternate avies.

SG

Last edited by SuperGram on Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:37 pm 

Since this name is only three letters, I'm at risk. It's a common initials, too. But if someone took JKC then I always have my backups, such as AnubisSL5. If I found out that someone took AnubisSL5, oh won't they be askin' for it.... ;D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:46 pm 

My screenname on most (or all) forums is ToxicMoon, but I plan to change that soon.

My Uru name has always been Bunny, and I know there is a high risk of that being taken before I get a chance to claim it.

I would like it if maybe the closed beta people could at least keep their avatar name as a "Thank you for helping us test the game" thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:47 pm 

Butch wrote:
And a question:
The game allows us to carry 5 avies per account. And there are some long standing people who do operate under multiple accounts in constructive ways. Should any reservation system, even by request, be available for all 5 slots or just one?

Yes per request. In other words, reservations shouldn't be automatically made for all avatars under a user account, but each request could be considered for each avatar.

Gathered Restorers Awaiting To Explore For URU Lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

ToxicMoon wrote:
I would like it if maybe the closed beta people could at least keep their avatar name as a "Thank you for helping us test the game" thing.

This is what I would like to see. I have been Mari' for all of the forums and also for all of the Uru shards. But, when I logged into the GT, guess what, someone had already taken my name. Oh well, my GT name happens to be Mari1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:59 pm 

Mari' wrote:
ToxicMoon wrote:

This is what I would like to see. I have been Mari' for all of the forums and also for all of the Uru shards. But, when I logged into the GT, guess what, someone had already taken my name. Oh well, my GT name happens to be Mari1.

Aww... that's awful. I hate it when that happens.

Hopefully when Live launches no one will take our names or we'll somehow get our names reserved.

::crosses fingers::

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:22 pm 

I voted yes also as long as you ask.
I have been using my avie name (Aussie) on the internet for as long as there has been an internet.
I have been using it on UrU since it's inception in all of the forms that it has appeared in.
But I also use a couple of other names on UrU as alternate avie names where I use an apostrophe somewhere in the name to make it less likely to be unintentionally used by someone else. Such as Aeus'sae which is similar to Aussie but pronounced Ow-Say. As such, I wear heavy glasses, therefore I am ow-say-can-u-c.
Every time there is a vault wipe, It would be nice to use my same name again. 8) 8) 8)

The Story tells it all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

I am not particularly fond of this, not sure why, I just am not.

But, that noted.

I have used Maztec since 1987. I have used erps since 1992. And it drives me up a wall if both of those are used when I go to something.

Yes, I used BBS's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:20 pm 

Having played with this avi since Prologue I would like to know that someone can't "impersonate" me. My reputation is probably sullied enough already. I don't need any help doing that.

Post subject: I voted yes
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:20 am 

I would like to be URU_Plum forever.
And others could choose their own colors..It is a unique signature..Yay!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next