It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:25 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Do you think well known or long time used avie names should be available for their long time owner only after the launch of Myst Online: Uru Live
Poll ended at Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:58 am
Yes, a name should be secured for like... ever 25%  25%  [ 39 ]
Yes, a name should be secured for a period of time. Say 6 months 23%  23%  [ 37 ]
Yes, but only if the person has specifically asked to do so 36%  36%  [ 58 ]
No, all names should be available for everyone 10%  10%  [ 16 ]
No, no need to... I like to come up with something fresh 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Either way I'm happy 6%  6%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 159
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, even if we Dutch people will be able to get in there are still lots of people who can not, because their countries are not on the "approved" list.

I am rather upset about this whole thing. What are these legal issues anyway? If my credit card is good enough for any online store in the US why isn't it good enough for Gametap? And I can assure you that most of my transactions involve amounts larger than a petty $ 9.95!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

I totally agree with you D'Lanor. I hope we get good news soon. And not just us Dutchies, but all our other friends too. Ubisoft had it covered right? Then why not Gametap?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Thanks to Ubisoft’s solid presence on five continents, the group attracts the best talents from all over the world, increasing its global reach accordingly.

The company’s 15 in-house production studios are located in 11 countries. The choice of China, Canada and Romania as host countries for its major studios offers Ubisoft competent, trained people as well as tax benefits or a lower cost structure.

From San Francisco to Sydney, Ubisoft distributes games in 55 countries thanks to business offices based in 21 countries. The worldwide headquarters are located in Paris, France.
GameTap was only US until October.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'd really like to be THE Jared in Live as I have been through quite a few incarnations of URU. I honestly don't know what I'd do if it was taken and the name seems to be everywhere, even (gasp) a jewelry store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:20 pm 

I voted "Yes, at the player's request".

Although I am new to the Uru online community, having come in near the end of this closed beta, I have been "Braggi" online since 1995, from the waning days of local dial-up BBS and on through the internet explosion.

I have no idea just how many forums I have joined with that name or what volume of e-mail has come to me using it. (Good thing electrons recycle easily! :) ) I'm fortunate that not too many people consider it.

However, I do have alternates, both spelling variations and completely different names I can use, as fallbacks or second choices. Still it would be nice to keep using the original handle. After 12 years, it has gotten kind of comfortable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Braggi wrote:
However, I do have alternates, both spelling variations and completely different names I can use, as fallbacks or second choices. Still it would be nice to keep using the original handle. After 12 years, it has gotten kind of comfortable.

I'm not really worried about having to use a different name, more that, If I've become known by this one, and I can't use it, it means that someone else has taken it, and people might mistake someone else for me. (and yes, I know that I could just tell the people that I know, but if I don't remember someone, or they are using an alternate name, how would they find me?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:48 am 

[deleted]

somehow a PM which was sent got put here

Last edited by Stevecrox on Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:51 am 
Obduction Backer

D'Lanor wrote:
This is a tough one. I don't think it would be fair to reserve names forever. Personally I would be worried about the confusion among my friends if someone else took my name.

A grace period seems like a good idea but it should be for everyone, not just for people who are considered to be well-known.

I don't think it should be a request only feature for the same reason as stated previously: Name stealing is bound to be more annoying for friends of the persons leaving, than for those persons themselves.

i agree

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:45 am 

I'm actually visiting my parents and can't login until Sunday at best (flight left on the 12th and I've had a great time so far :) ). So already a bit late if I want to collect the avie name...

But, who's going to grab userids based of my RL name? The only reason my GT ID is not T_S_Kimball is that they did not allow underscores at the time (plus since that name was not going to be seen to the Uru players anyway, I used my ancient UNIX login ID from 1991).

As for avatars, again I'm not as concerned as most since it is, again, my RL name and I can fight it if needed. My alternate char (based off my SL name) as well as my much older internet moniker (sungak) I suspect are less protected.

--TSK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

D'Lanor wrote:
Well, even if we Dutch people will be able to get in there are still lots of people who can not, because their countries are not on the "approved" list.

I am rather upset about this whole thing. What are these legal issues anyway? If my credit card is good enough for any online store in the US why isn't it good enough for Gametap? And I can assure you that most of my transactions involve amounts larger than a petty $ 9.95!

One of the issues mentioned is taxes. I think the issue is similar to a problem in the United States with state sales taxes. Many businesses in other states will sell something over the internet and not charge you for your state sales tax. They can get away with this if they don't have a business presence in that state, since the state has no jurisdiction to enforce an out of state business to pay the tax.

The same goes for international sales. If you buy something from a company in the U.S. that company is not going to worry about the Netherlands trying to collect some type of tax from them if that company has no presence in the Netherlands, and doesn't plan to ever do so.

However, Gametap is part of a multinational company that almost certainly has some business interest in many countries in the world. Even if they don't currently have a presence in a particular country, they are a big enough company that they have to worry about the future. So, their lawyers are going to make sure that they comply with any tax and other business laws in each country so that they don't have to worry about that country coming back to them a couple of years from now and saying that they owe millions of dollars in taxes and penalties.

On the other issue of reserving Avatar names, perhaps people who will not be able to get in to Uru right away can work with other fans they trust to get their name reserved. Every account has 5 avatar slots. Most people don't need that many and could create an avatar to reserve the name for you until you can get in at a later date. At that point you could arrange to "transfer" the avatar name. That would basically mean that at a prearranged time the person reserving the name would delete the avatar that was holding the name, and the person wanting the name would log in as soon as possible afterwards and create an avatar with the name that was just released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
The same goes for international sales. If you buy something from a company in the U.S. that company is not going to worry about the Netherlands trying to collect some type of tax from them if that company has no presence in the Netherlands, and doesn't plan to ever do so.
Everything you buy online, be it software or hardware, is treated as an imported product in Europe and subject to the VAT of the importing country where the tax isn't added at source.

If I buy software from the US I pay 17.5% VAT (UK rate). If I buy software from the Netherlands (within the EU) I don't pay anything else but the purchase price already includes NL VAT at 19%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Avie name: Te'ana
Used since: April 2003
UrU game:
- 1st UrU Live beta
- UrU Prologue
- UrU Rehearsal
- Until UrU
- D'mala
- Myst Online beta
Uru related Forums:
- All Ubisoft Uru forums
- All Cyan Uru forums (also use Texana)
- DRC Forum (also use Texana)
- Guild of Greeters
- Uruobsession
- - Clockwork Orange
Other info: I'm a member of the Guild of Greeters

Other Games:
I use Te'ana if its available and La Teana if its not :)

Last edited by Texana on Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:38 pm 

I can't see this as an issue. But I do worry about identity crisis issues, personnally as long as a first come first served system is in place (thats open equally to GT and internationals) I don't mind.

I'll admit that if i was in the position of having my name taken i would spend much time requesting if the person would mind changing their name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:44 pm 

I have been Unicorn for over 20 years!...Everything I have done in Uru/Myst has been under that name. I have hundred's of statues, our wedding cake had a Unicorn and Kangaroo on it!

Unfortunately for GameTap I had to sign on as UruUnicorn as my name was taken :(
One question, how would we go about asking for our names before launch?

I agree with the sentiment that beta and UU players could keep their names...makes sense to me...identity is important...I am Me=U r U !

Unicorn :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

Oy!
DaDungeon has used sooooo many names through the years!
The Mental Mob be a good-sized bunch!

The consistently used names in game and on forum . . .
that I'd like to always have at my beck and call . . .
DaDungeon
Tink
Dr Tinkyl
Ms Hide
Heyoka

Especially Tink . . .
been using that one since 1997 . .
and she's still going strong!

Other names . . .
like Tank . . .
kimimela . . .
Dawn . . .
DBR . . .
Goofedy . . .
TeBOTiNK . . .
came and went with whims . . .

although who knows when a whim will re-surface . . .
like silly ole zombie-walkin' Tank.

If ya see him running around loose in the cavern . . .
with the pale hair and bright blue eyes . . .
zombie-dancin' . . .
appearing to be a male version of Tink . . .
ask him if he knows the name of the Mental Mobster . .
that's only one inch tall.

The answer will let ya know if it's DaDungeon or not
lol

DaDungeon -- where The Mental
Mob can be found blurring
the edges of real/surreal.
Tink KI#674545

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next