It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:46 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:59 am 
Obduction Backer

I haven't been in beta for a while (been busy lately). But I got Gametap working tonight (needed to update it, and the previous install was broken). So I go and eagerly start Gametap and go to get Uru Live, and it gives the little screen with the game requirements and it won't let me download!

Of course my system ran beta perfectly fine before it went into Gametap's system. The main issue is because I have windows 2000 instead of XP. Not like Uru can't run on it, and I know that Brice Tebbs said that Uru was really made to work for 2000/xp (which was a concern for me back then because I had ME). That seemed to me the reason why EoA didn't work on lower than 2000/xp (which is why I switched). And now Uru works on XP exclusively! Or so Gametap would have you believe.

I can't *stand* how Gametap does this. There have been several other games (read Myst and Riven) I couldn't download because of the same issues. Is there some option I'm missing that would allow me to disable this apparent 'safety' feature? Or is it just that they want to endorse M$ and make everyone buy the latest and 'most advanced' (which is inferior to win2k) OS??

Sorry if I seem a tad frustrated.. It's just that like everyone else I very much was looking forward to Uru, NOT a switch in OS's (and I like win2k). It's bothers me that the thing I have Gametap for is the thing I can't get from it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:07 am 

This has been discussed thoroughly.

http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewto ... ndows+2000

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Reframing my initial post, is it right now still possible to play Uru Live with just the standalone beta client? I had reinstalled my system not long ago, and I no longer have the Uru Beta client installed. Unfortunately my installer (the 300mb one) is corrupted (dunno why). But is it absolutely imperative to run it through the gametap client? (which everyone outside the USA is not going to be doing). You need to have a valid gametap account to login with the beta client anyways, as far as I know. I don't see why those of us with 2000 can't just play the game using the standalone version, at our own risk (ie maybe it will / won't work right). Another recent thread touches on the standalone client idea.

Beta worked fine before (as far as I could tell) on my system with 2000. The obstacle is really just the lack of an option within the GT client to allow me to download the game anyways, despite whether the game works or not. I'd bet that if this option did exist, I could download Myst and Riven, and they'd work fine on my machine too. Unfortunately I can't test that theory.

Maybe in time they'd update the clients and eventually Uru wouldn't work at all on 2000, but it doesn't make sense to completely block us off from even trying to see if it could work.

*sigh* This would be the 3rd time I've upgraded OS's for Cyan. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if I didn't hate XP so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:58 am 

It seems to be possible but only with some hacking.

URU is using the Ageia PhysX engine 2.6.0. Recent versions of PhysX don't support Windows 2k. Someone has created a patched installer of PhysX which allows the installation.

Don't blame it on GT, blame it on Ageia!

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:03 pm 

I thought someone else posted later on that Ageia themselves released a patched installer that'd work on 2K as well, making the hacked one redundant? Could be wrong though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:33 pm 

Windows 2000 was never a gaming OS it has been slated to lose support for some time, its an ageing corporate OS, which is perfect for your workstation but not your home. I'll admit kudos from upgrading from The "OS that shan't be named" but if you upgraded last year for Myst V then you were either mis-sold the OS or didn't research. Take it as a learning expearence.

Bad analogy time

I own a trials/Scrambler I use it on the road only been off road once, when I needed to buy a new back tyre I discussed at length with a motorcycle shop (that didn't sell tryes) what sort would be best and then went to a shop famous for their customer service. Discussed it with the guy and then choose a £44 back trye designed for roads and which was designed for commuting use rather than tarmac racing (its in the trye wall.)

People will obviously understand and relate to the above, you should be applying the same logic to your PC. more expensive may not be better, that dell off the shelf might suck when compared to the lesser known Medion. Do I need Office xp, 2003 Student, 2003 pro or should I get 2007.

I'm not trying to be cruel but computers are no different from anything else and in three/four years time I'll say the same thing to Windows XP buyers, as they complain that their Direct X 10 game won't run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

uecasm wrote:
I thought someone else posted later on that Ageia themselves released a patched installer that'd work on 2K as well, making the hacked one redundant? Could be wrong though.

Yes, the latest version of PhysX downloadable from their site does install on Win2K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:21 am 
Obduction Backer

If PhysX has resolved the problem, it would be nice if we could encourage GameTap to clear the "XP required" item on the entry in the GameTap client, even if it still isn't "supported." Don't know if they'd be willing to do that or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:12 am 

Marten wrote:
If PhysX has resolved the problem, it would be nice if we could encourage GameTap to clear the "XP required" item on the entry in the GameTap client, even if it still isn't "supported." Don't know if they'd be willing to do that or not.

That would be nice. As it stands now, I have no idea how I'm going to get UruLive if GameTap won't even let me try to play "at my own risk".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:24 am 
Obduction Backer

My suggestion: Take this discussion to randomos. You can PM him with questions about fixing the XP issue on GameTap, and how to get the standalone client, and whether the standalone client will work for people who are joining now and weren't in the opening of "Preview" before the game went onto GameTap.

PS: To the original poster (JulyForToday), in the cases of Myst and Riven on GameTap requiring XP only: Assuming that GameTap is using the latest versions which were ported to be compatible with XP (and released on the 10th Anniversary set), those versions (according to the listing on Amazon.com) ought to work on Windows 98 and Windows XP. But they are not listed as working on Windows 2000! I'm not even sure if GameTap will run in Windows 98, so from GameTap's perspective, "XP-only" may indeed be a limitation of the game and not an arbitrary decision by GameTap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

ToxicMoon wrote:
Marten wrote:

That would be nice. As it stands now, I have no idea how I'm going to get UruLive if GameTap won't even let me try to play "at my own risk".

The PhysX installer currently included with MOUL is the version that is broken for Win2K. So technically it still requires XP.

Many games do not upgrade their physics engines anymore once they go live. I am hoping that MOUL will be the exception to that because we still have the problem with PhysX not working on older AMD Athlons as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Because PhysX installs itself in a way that includes backwards compatibility for all prior versions, as long as Cyan throws the new PhysX installer into their packaging there should be no problem. They could continue using the older PhysX driver, but it's the installer that has to be fixed for XP. So fixing this issue doesn't seem too risky to me.

Although I suppose that wouldn't address the "older Athlon" problem. From that perspective, hopefully they'll continue to incorporate fixes along the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:31 pm 

D'Lanor wrote:
Many games do not upgrade their physics engines anymore once they go live. I am hoping that MOUL will be the exception to that because we still have the problem with PhysX not working on older AMD Athlons as well.

The fact that they added a way to update the PhysX installer itself in a later build (rather than having to re-download the Uru Live installer manually) suggests that they indeed plan on updating this every now and then.

(Or something.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]