It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:57 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:00 am 
Obduction Backer

OK...what's the deal?
i go to my puter this evening to log on to the closed Beta shortcut and it tells me that this is not a valid shortcut.
now the silly thing doesnt even do anything.
I cant go through GT cause i'm running W2K and cant play (even though i'm paying for it)
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:04 am 

momamia wrote:
I cant go through GT cause i'm running W2K and cant play (even though i'm paying for it)

I don't follow. You're subscribing to a service you could never even use to begin with?

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:09 am 
Obduction Backer

i wanted to support the Live verson of URU and wasnt aware that i had to have XP to play thru GT.
the main problem is that i logged onto Beta shortcut tonight and CTD and when i restarted my puter, the shortcut no longer worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:28 am 

What do you mean by "closed Beta shortcut"? Do you mean the shortcut icon that was placed on your desktop by the beta client you downloaded thru GameTap? If so, my shortcut still works and I have not changed anything since I downloaded the beta client.

Since your failure to launch immediately followed a crash requiring you to reboot, something probably went awry on your PC when you crashed; try cleaning up your PC (scan, defrag, etc.).

If all else fails, you might need to uninstall and reinstall the beta client.

Post subject: crash
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:15 am 
Obduction Backer

I think you're correct---i had to go into my folders and create a shortcut to that link. i will defrag tonight, cause i got to looking and some files are not where they're supposed to be.
Also, after i created the shortcut i was able to get back into the game.
NOW if someone can tell me if i am subscribing in vain to GT, i'd appreciate it. i'm sure GT wouldnt tell me to quit...LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:15 am 
Obduction Backer

I don't have an answer yet, but I submitted a ticket earlier this week on the W2K loading issue, spoke with a techrep at GameTap, and received feedback from Cyan that indicated that there was going to be some discussion between both parties.

Cross your fingers,
Cross your toes.
Hold your breath,
And hope it goes...

-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Post subject: W2K
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for letting me know...i'll wait to see what they both say before i unsubscribe to GT. No sence in paying for what i cant use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:13 am 

I am running XP, but when my Myst online GT Beta shortcut stopped working, I logged on to GT and downloaded an update to Ver. 1.7.0.70 (actual#)

Then I downloaded the GT Myst online Beta Preview from the GT Main page. Linking through that gave me back my Closed beta game with all my avatar's (3).

When back to desktop my Myst online closed Beta shortcut worked again. No Problems.

Been using that ever since. I don't have to go through GT's Preview log in.

The Preview is going to get wiped on the 22nd I believe. Whether or not my Closed Beta goes with it, remains to be seen.

But, like I said, I am WIN XP.

FYI

Traveler

Last edited by Traveler on Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

I believe Travelers is right. You have to keep GT updated. So maybe every so often log into GT and make sure it is up to date. As long it is updated, the shortcut should work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:51 am 

Some quick (and possibly unwarranted) thoughts/rant on URU's integration with GT

From this point on it gets harsh, but I feel it has to be said, and before anyone thinks I'm ungrateful to GT, I’m not, however they need to get this one point right.

Myst was successful because of passive marketing; I think the GT client is a form of active and in your face marketing, personally that is something I don't want on my computer!!

There are also technical issues I have...

If the integration is anything like what steam was like in the very early months. People are very quickly going to get hacked off with a lack of informative messages, crummy downloads, pants reliability, and frankly a frustrating user experience.

I can already start to see where the integration with the GT client is going to go, and this thread is almost on that border line of:

"I can't play URU because someone somewhere though it a good idea to FORCE a bloated GUI on to my computer so I can be bombarded with marketing I don’t want"

So if I’m interested in playing just URU, I certainly am not willing to fork out cash and have a jumble of C/C++ code tell me that "an error occurred, please try again later"

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ... allow the URU client to be detached from the bloat that is the GT client ... for the initial sign up and downloads ... yes I can handle that ... but afterwards, an icon the desktop and no dependency on the GT client to update URU.

Most folk here will only sign up to GT to get URU, myself included so this could be false foresight ... but I don't fancy going to play URU only to have a pointless "marketing" GUI crash out on me because of errors in it.

As I said above these are personal views that could be unwarranted, but I want to air them, and most importantly to be proved wrong :P

Posts in response to this will not be replied to! So have at it :wink:

Post subject: GT and Cyan discussion
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:04 am 
Obduction Backer

Well, Robin....
have you heard anything more about the W2K users being able to play UL through GT?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]