It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:34 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

D'Lanor,

Of course you are correct, although I would be more inclined to say "I can hardly wait to take those journeys" than I would be to say "the darn things don't work , what good are they anyway". Assuming that I would be inclined to break the NDA at all, which I would not.

Nor am I inclined to view myself as a keeper of the SECRET KNOWLEDGE, ever ready to call down the wrath of the great and mighty CYAN apon all strayers from the way of the NDA. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:49 pm 

Arnium wrote:
Nor am I inclined to view myself as a keeper of the SECRET KNOWLEDGE, ever ready to call down the wrath of the great and mighty CYAN apon all strayers from the way of the NDA. :wink:

Arnium, that is exactly what you are, and mighty CYAN can smote thee for irresponsibility to that responsibility. You are keeper of the secret knowledge as a beta tester, if you need to put it in that way...which worries me, but nevertheless....

URU Live is a different product than the other Myst games, regardless if the content overlaps. This is business, as well as fun.

We've been asked to spot bugs and help test the game, and as a reward we also get to play it. If we were beta testing lawnmowers, I don't think we'd be having so much fun, but we'd still have to obey the NDA before the product is perfected and launched.

Whoever said that the attitude of the person bothered him even more than the incident is right-on. Normally people with the right attitude and perspective end up doing the right things, and if they accidentally do the wrong thing it is less harmful.

Sorry to ramble. I've been in product-launches similar to this in other industries, but have not had to rely upon the integrity and loyalty of so many of the public (us) or young people (not me, but many of the beta testers), which can get hairy.

All in all, though, I think we're going great!

'enough said. Happy Holidays, everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Arnium wrote:

Walking around with a ramrod up your back and your knickers all atwist will do far more damage. A simple reminder to the offender is all that is necessary, unless you get off on the whole "keep a chatlog and burn the perp" thing.

Ramrods come in all shapes and sizes, as do knickers, and I am sure we all have a few of the former that fit and a few of the latter that do not.

Simple reminders were repeatedly and politely directed to this individual who persisted despite being given clear indications that no one in the room wanted to engage in the conversation. For the record, I do not habitually log chat, nor do I "get off" on such things, but I happened to be already logging the chat for completely unrelated purposes. I am more than tolerant of diverse attitudes and opinions, as well as the ways of expressing them, and am very reluctant to report anyone for anything. In the many games I have played, including some where the norm is distinctly "M" rated, I have never reported anyone and have only ever placed one single, very nasty and persistent person on "ignore".

However, now that I have been identified as the person who logged the chat, and now that a mod has reminded us of our obligation to report breaches of the NDA, I will send in the chatlog as requested.

nerf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tim wrote:
Arnium wrote:

Arnium, that is exactly what you are, and mighty CYAN can smote thee for irresponsibility to that responsibility. You are keeper of the secret knowledge as a beta tester, if you need to put it in that way...which worries me, but nevertheless....

Tim,

Puhleeze come down off your high horse. I am in no way making light of any individual intentionally violatiing the sacred NDA agreement. This incident was by all accounts not intentional. If anything Cyan itself is largely to blame for incidences like this with the rather confusing way in which the betas have been melded.

I for one will be glad when this game finally launches and this superfluous nonsense will no longer be an issue. Though I'm sure that certain types will still find ways in which to display their moral superiority and lord it over the commoners. Beware, or I will smite thee with my chatlog!

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I for one will be glad when this game finally launches and this superfluous nonsense will no longer be an issue.
You'll have to be disappointed for three years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Arnium wrote:
Tim wrote:
Arnium wrote:

Tim,

Puhleeze come down off your high horse. I am in no way making light of any individual intentionally violatiing the sacred NDA agreement. This incident was by all accounts not intentional. If anything Cyan itself is largely to blame for incidences like this with the rather confusing way in which the betas have been melded.

I for one will be glad when this game finally launches and this superfluous nonsense will no longer be an issue. Though I'm sure that certain types will still find ways in which to display their moral superiority and lord it over the commoners. Beware, or I will smite thee with my chatlog!

Ron

Without precision triangulation equipment it is proving impossible to determine whose horse is actually higher. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

:lol: I sense another picture coming on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rusty_Russell wrote:
Quote:
I for one will be glad when this game finally launches and this superfluous nonsense will no longer be an issue.
You'll have to be disappointed for three years.

NO! Say it ain't so! And all because this criminal fellow violated the NDA? Off with his head then!

[quote="Nyrphame"][quote="Arnium"][quote="Tim"][quote="Arnium"]

Without precision triangulation equipment it is proving impossible to determine whose horse is actually higher. ;)[/

Nyrf,

Being somewhat indifferent to others gross violations of the NDA puts me among the lowest of the low. 'Tis fortunate that Truth, Justice and the NDA Way are in far more capable hands than mine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

I was pointing out that the NDA you signed up to expires three years after URU Live goes live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

A poem...

*cough*

A wise man once remarked of motes
In others eyes and how we note
And point out these and don't remove
The beam within our own; to "prove"

The charge "superiority!",
Thus, logically is fallacy
Since claiming that we are inferior
Is merely covertly superior.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rusty_Russell wrote:
I was pointing out that the NDA you signed up to expires three years after URU Live goes live.

True, or until the NDA is lifted.

I meant that once the game starts in earnest there will be things happening that are much more interesting than possible NDA violations. And since the Beta Forums will probably then be closed there will be no place to discuss any violations without risking violating the NDA. Then good for nothin's like me can continue to go along enjoying the Cavern blithely assuming that no blatant NDA violations are occuring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nyrphame wrote:
A poem...

*cough*

A wise man once remarked of motes
In others eyes and how we note
And point out these and don't remove
The beam within our own; to "prove"

The charge "superiority!",
Thus, logically is fallacy
Since claiming that we are inferior
Is merely covertly superior.

I like that!
And I stand guilty as charged.

An ambassador for that same man talks about trying to restore an offender, first personally and then in a group, before turning him in for judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:10 pm 

It's always amazing how some folks happily give their word on a contract -- then later, having gotten what they want from the bargain, finely parse it to decide what parts of it do not apply to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:35 pm 

True, TK. It's a virus of selfishness.

I wish more people would follow the wisdom of Marx. Groucho, that is:
"I would not join any club that would have me as a member."

Groucho was one enlightened dude.

Last edited by Tim on Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

tkwiggins wrote:
It's always amazing how some folks happily give their word on a contract -- then later, having gotten what they want from the bargain, finely parse it to decide what parts of it do not apply to them.

Well, if parsing it means that I refuse to log and report violations, then you have me. I would remind the offender of their obligation and walk away. Fortunately for me I have not witnessed such behaviour so thus far I am technically not guilty of any violation.

Is there a copy of the NDA available online?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next