It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:26 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Bug reporting questions
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:44 am 
Obduction Backer

I have a couple questions about filling out a ticket for a bug.
1. Does anyone have any guidelines about what priority different types of bugs are?

2. I have gaming sessions of several hours, so I amass dozens of bugs in a single set of logs. Should I attach the set to every bug submission?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:36 am 

1. I think common sense applies here. If a bug happens every time and makes gameplay very hard/impossible then it's URGENT, if it's just a glitch but still common and annoying then it's HIGH, if the bug happens rarely then MEDIUM - dunno... that's how I do it at least lol...

2. Well technically if you encounter a bug you should quit the game save all the logs, clean the log folder, go back into the game and try to recreate the bug and if you're successful then you should send those clean logs instead of the massive ones. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:42 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm not a support guy but I would say:
1) Use common sense for the priority. Is the bug a show stopper or just a graphical mistake. When you are not able to continue than the bug is Urgent. When your avatar is sitting beside the bench instead of on it I would say that is a low priority bug

2)I think these log files will be huge if you have played for several hours. So it will also take a lot of time for the support guys to find it in the logs. Some bugs don't need log files. A screenshot will be enough. I think it would be great if you could reproduce the bug. I would save the huge log files. Clean the log directory and try to reproduce the bug. When that is successful you can supply that log with your ticket.

I know it is some work but nobody said beta testing was easy ;)

Like I said I'm not from support maybe Gregbert can give a better answer on this

[edit]Dan'ni was quicker :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks guys, I'll try to keep those things in mind. It's the first time I've really tested anything, so it's all new to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:22 pm 

What D'Lanor mentioned to me yesterday was the trouble the guys were having finding out why his avatar was turning away to link to Relto from my book. So, they wanted a clean log (ie empty). Then for him and myself to log on, then just test that link. Then log off, zip the log, send the log and pix to D'Lanor who'd then report it as a joint report. That way, it's a lot less material for them to search through. So, maybe try to think of it in that perspective. Short logs of exact problems, with no other events, may be easier for them to decipher the error in the code. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:37 pm 

What would be nice is a way to release the file locks and dump the log files while in the game, like a /dumplogs command. That way all the current information is dumped to the logs, you could zip up that group and still be in the game. Perhaps something like a /newlogs command would clear out all the previous logs and start with some fresh ones at that point. Hey, I'm just dreaming :)

Ashtar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:37 am 

Good dream, Ashtar, very nice dream :) 8)

Post subject: log question
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:19 am 

Since this is somewhat bug related I thought I'd put it here. was wondering if I should send the logs even if I don't get a accual bug. I've check my logs and noticed some things that seem buggish, but I really didnt notice anything in game. well with the exception of getting stuck loading an age.

Was just wondering. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:34 am 
Obduction Backer

Only send the logs for an actual bug you can describe. they know about the other errors. Like the pending state for the cloths, sdl errors, etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:46 pm 

What is meant by "log"? Is it a chat log or is there a different command to push when creating a log?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

The logs are all the files in the Log folder which is located in your Uru Live installation folder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:55 pm 

So it's not a Chat Log, and it's automatically on? The reason I'm asking is because I ran into a bug every 5 minutes it seemed the very first time I logged on. When I went to report them, I noticed a lot of talk about logs but no real explanation of what they were.

Last edited by ToxicMoon on Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:56 pm 

Highlight the log folder, and then right-click it and say "Zip to file". That copies the entire contents to the zip file. Then with log folder highlighted, click on edit, copy to another folder. Name it something useful (in case you need the information again), then after you've made a copy of it, then open the log folder and click on edit, select all, delete all. Then you've got an empty, clean Log folder for the next batch of testing. Yes, small frequent bug reporting is much better than huge, unwieldly ones. Ever hear of the saying "hunting for a needle in a haystack?" Except it's hunt for the error in the code. :D :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:58 pm 

Thanks everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:59 pm 

The logs are files that are in the Urulive folder.

Go to C:\Program Files\Uru Live\Log and look for the *.log files. Those are what they need when you report a problem.

LR

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next