It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:49 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:16 pm 

Shorah everybody!

This is the new version of my small beta guide. As I wasn't able to participate actively in the Uru Live beta for a while, the old version was not really up-to-date anymore. For this reason, I created this new version - and will try to keep it up-to-date. Promised. ;)

The beta guide has been "moved" to the preview forums. Therefore, this thread will not be continued anymore. For the latest version, see this thread from now on.

Here are the most important points you should take into account as a beta tester. Note: Most of them are just rules of thumb.

First of all here's a short index:
  • Current issues
  • Don't create another and another and another topic if there is already a topic concerning your problem
  • It's a beta after all - don't get annoyed by bugs or other problems
  • Read through the From the Developer section
  • Use the Uru Live Support System
  • Report major bugs/problems only
  • Create tickets (bug reports) about the bugs you find, even though someone else has reported it already
  • Make screenshots
  • Attach logs
  • Submit your found bugs as soon as possible
  • When problems/bugs were solved due to an update, close your submitted tickets yourself
  • List of common known bugs
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Connection test utility
For more information about one of the topics above, just scroll down.

Current issues below
Last section update: 2006-11-29, 9:31 UTC - concerning "live 1" (build 10)

There are no known current issues.
Current issues above

Don't create another and another and another topic if there is already a topic concerning your problem
In particular during server downtimes everybody asks him-/herself what exactly the problem is. But please take some time to look through the most recent topics, and particulary stickies. In most cases you'll find the information you need in those topics.

It's a beta after all - don't get annoyed by bugs or other problems
Uru Live is still in development and beta testing. So you should be prepared to encounter bugs or other problems while playing (or better: testing) the game. It doesn't help Cyan, you, or anyone else at all to become frustrated. Just take the Uru Live beta as it is: a test.
Remember, we have about a month or little more time to help Cyan to get the game ready for launch. Let's all focus on serious beta testing, so let's get those tickets submitted.

Read through the From the Developer section
This section contains really important information about how most things work. Please read the posts there carefully.

Use the Uru Live Support System
Create an account at the system and when you find a bug report it there. Note: You shouldn't use any other charaters besides the alphanumeric and standard punctuation chars as those characters might cause problems in the system.

Report major bugs/problems only
With beta build 8 Cyan has intoduced a new policy concerning the importance of bugs, announced in the build release notes:
Cyan wrote:
Additionally we are now moving our focus to only serious bug fixes. Please write up only urgent bugs / puzzle breakage bugs or serious game play issues from this point on.

Create tickets (bug reports) about the bugs you find, even though someone else has reported it already
Even if you're completely sure that someone else has already reported the bug in question, your additional information might help Cyan to find out how to solve the bug. Also make up a new single ticket for each new bug you find, i.e. don't submit a list of completely different bugs.

Make screenshots
Sometimes screenshots have more to say more than words. Good programs to make screenshots are ScreenHunter 4.0 FREE, Fraps or IrfanView.

Attach logs
When submitting tickets, you should use the new Uru Live beta KI command "/dumplogs", then zip the resulting log folder (it's in "My Documents\Uru Live\Log\{your log folder name}"). Finally you should attach the zip file to the ticket. Good programs to zip files and folders are 7-Zip or IZArc.
For more information about the new KI command "/dumplogs", see this topic.

Submit your found bugs as soon as possible
This will make the work of the support team much easier, especially when attaching logs.

When problems/bugs were solved due to an update, close your submitted tickets yourself
As lbell has stated here, we should close our tickets "with a note that says no longer occuring" when they "are absolutely 100% not happening any more". "This would apply for bugs like spelling errors or graphic fixes that are obviously there."
In case of bugs that are just intermittent and weren't seen since an update, just attach a note saying "Not seen in current version" but don't close the ticket.

List of common known bugs
Here's a really small list of common bugs that might confuse especially new users.
  • Link to The Black Age: When linking somewhere your screen just stays black sometimes. You'll have to quit the game by hitting ALT+F4 then. [last seen in build 9]
  • Killer Cones (or other moveable objects): Be careful with all those types of objects. You suddenly might start to panik link out of the current age when you touch such an object. (In some cases your avatar might do a very high jump instead.) [last seen in build 9]
  • There seems to be two different city instances (so far). It may happen, that you are in Ae'gura and a buddy is also in the same place but you can't see each other and you also can't chat over the "Age Player" with each other (only via PM). This doesn't mean that one of you is invisible, it's just that you are in a different instance of that age.
    There still is no official word from Cyan about this bug, but it seems that an instance of Ae'gura is assigned directly to an new avatar. Please also consult the city instances and Ae'gura bug list threads in the Beta Game Discussion forum for more information about this bug.
  • (more to come - any suggestions concerning this list are really appreciated)

Frequently Asked Questions
  • What do I put into the text box "Invitation code"?
    Answer: Nothing. Just leave it empty.
  • What is the FTP access data?
    Answer: Host: ftp.cyan.com Username: wheely Password: willow (or as a link: ftp://wheely:[email protected]/)
  • How to use the FTP server?
    Answer here
  • Is there a TeamSpeak sever?
    Answer: Yes. (For details see this thread.)
  • How to zip logs?
    Answer here
  • What are the forum rules?
    See this topic.

Connection test utility
Tehl Nava has created a small utility to test the connection to the Uru servers. You can find it in this thread.

Suggestions? Comments?

Hope that helps!
Modi

Thanks to the following persons for their efforts to enhance this post: Tweek, Hamsta, weldergeek, BladeLakem, Shadowcats, ToxicMoon (Bunny), ireenquench, Tiran, HannaGertie, Indy, Tehl Nava, Rusty_Russell

Last edited by The.Modificator on Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:59 pm, edited 44 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Be sure to check out the Ages & Area's Bugs Topic Links thread for links to the threads on known bugs in certain ages, this thread will be updated when new area's/ages are released (depending if any are released).

Just to save on multiple threads on the same location ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:43 pm 

Beta Explorer Tip #1:
LOG EVERYTHING! As soon as you link in, every time you link in, use the /startlog command. If things go buggy with the chat you'll have proof of it.

Also, your log can act like a journal. If you run across bugs that don't crash Uru for you, make a comment about it will be saved to your log.

You may not have the ability to remember every little thing or how you did it and writing on slips of miscellaneous paper gets cluttered and messy. And I'm not suggesting we have a community of explorers talking aloud to themselves. PM the notes to yourself.

Try PM'ing yourself with things like 'what happens if i press this button'. If you crash repeatedly with that action, guess what, you've now logged the trigger event. Write a happy little bug report with data from your logs. This will make troubleshooting and problem-solving far easier.

Beta Explorer Tip #2:
BACKUP YOUR LOGS! Create a subdirectory in your Beta installs log directory called 'archive' or something like that. Uru only saves the last three chatlogs so archiving your logs will give you, and therefore Cyan, a wealth of information to draw from and refer to.

You'll have to rename the files of course so that no archived logs get overwritten. Then just drag them into your archive directory for safe-keeping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Without trying to promote specific (free) software, these two did it for me:
ScreenHunter 4.0 FREE to take screenshots in game (even from The Black Ages which can still look quite interesting ;) )

IZArc freeware for ziping the log folder.

It also says so in the "From the Developer" section but I personaly find it important/much easier for myself to keep organized to zip/archive the complete log folder every time the game crashes/you log out to report a bug and delete it before you try to recreate the bug.

Post subject: Bug logs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Would someone point me in the direction [is this has been already discussed] of the post for properly handling my logs. Do the logs need to be deleted when they are sent off, so they have a fresh start point? Does the entire log file need to be zipped and attached? I want to do this by the book, a little help would be great.
Cheers,
Knottyboy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:50 pm 

I wouldn't worry about the logs. Submit the needed logs as an attachment to the ticket for the bug you're reporting.

Don't load them down with too much information of course. If you can, you can try and give a brief summary of what is needed.

Give all the info you feel concerns the problem you're addressing. Log files, observations, actions.

Think of it like going to your doctor, the problem can't be diagnosed without knowing all the symptoms you're experiencing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:54 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

We have to worry about the logs because they have been requested and we have been told they are important. Further, the folder gets quite large. If I can delete the entire set before starting each session, it would really help the transmission time and significantly reduce the amount of noise they have to go through to find the problem.

Post subject: Re: Bug logs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:04 pm 

knottyboy wrote:
Would someone point me in the direction [is this has been already discussed] of the post for properly handling my logs. Do the logs need to be deleted when they are sent off, so they have a fresh start point? Does the entire log file need to be zipped and attached? I want to do this by the book, a little help would be great.
Cheers,
Knottyboy

Re: the logs, greypiffle posted this in the "Bug reporting questions" thread:

greypiffle wrote:
Here is a very quick tutorial:

you go to C:\Program Files\Uru Live and right-click on the "Log" directory
choose rename
rename it to something that has to do with your problem
EX: "relto full log"
right-click on it again.
tell your system to send it to a Compressed (zipped) folder
go to the web site support.urulive.com
click on the "Submit a Ticket" link at the top
fill out all of the fields
at the bottom, in the large box, describe your problem
in the "You may upload an attachment ", click on browse
browse to C:\Program Files\Uru Live\relto full log.zip and upload it
Once it is uploaded, cilck on the "submit ticket" button

If you rename/relocate/delete the Log directory prior to a new session, a fresh new directory will be created at the time of that next session.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:27 am 
Obduction Backer

Platt had some of the same thoughts I had about clearing out and starting afresh which I did see was a suggestion in one of the beta forum instructions.

Thank you so much for posting the guidelines for me. I really do appreciate the time in instruction.
Cheers you guys and happy beta,
kb :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:13 am 

Here it is, day two of Jahuti in Beta, and he is totally confused!

To start with, which log files are we talking about? There are several kinds of log files in the LOG folder and several copies of each. Then there are the "Minilogs" down in the Windows system directory that I saw mentioned.

And just what the heck constitutes a "multiplayer" bug? Is that just other people with you when a bug happens, or do they have to be intimately involved? I was in the city last night and tried to link to someone's Relto. I touched the offered book and his avvie spun around so his back was facing me. He started to link, then I linked. I don't know what happened to him, but I wound up in a Relto someplace all by myself, frozen solid. Is that a single-player bug or a multiplayer bug?

Reading this forum, I feel like a complete AOL'er among l335 haxors. I am thinking of giving up my place in Beta so somebody who knows what they are doing can have my place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:41 am 
Obduction Backer

Go to your Uru Live\Log folder right now and delete everything in it. Log onto Uru Live (beta), jump off your Relto cliff a few times, and then quit. Go back to your Uru Live\Log folder. Those files. In general, every time you start a Uru Live session with the intent of finding bugs, your Uru Live\Log folder should be (basically) empty. If you encounter a bug you feel is worthy of reporting, you quit, go to Uru Live\Log, select all files and zip them up. Submit a ticket and attach the zipped logs, or keep on playing, but rinse and repeat.

A multi-player bug is in the eye of beholder - or maybe, the hand of the linker. Just add all the remarks you feel are relevant, including who was where and what you all were doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:53 pm 

Yeah, what he said. You can get the other player, or player involved to send you their zipped log files to include with the bug submission.

So, for instance for my Teledahn bug with D'lanor looked like this.

Owner: D'Lanor
Guest: Toria

We were climbing up the ladder to the hidden room and I kept warping down to the bottom. Pictures are included, and my log file, along with D'lanor zipped Log.

Does that give a better sense of what you are supposed to be doing? :)

Gregbert did a Question and Answer in the FAQ section Multi Player Bug writeups that is what I base my writeups on.

:D

Post subject: Selection of Tools
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Re: ScreenHunter 4.0 FREE, IrfanView, and 7-Zip or IZArc.

I'm building my little test environment. I already have PK-Zip. Is there any advantage getting one of these others. Also, prntscrn and Paint work. Is there an advantage over these others?

Post subject: Re: Selection of Tools
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:45 pm 

Shorahmin wrote:
I already have PK-Zip. Is there any advantage getting one of these others.

If you already have a packer that creates zip files, there's no need to get another one.

Shorahmin wrote:
Also, prntscrn and Paint work. Is there an advantage over these others?

I think you mean the print screen key on your keyboard, don't you?

The great advantage of ScreenHunter is that it automatically creates a jpg file with the screen's content in a folder of your coise when hitting a key you have defined before. (So there's no need to do the Edit->Insert, File->Save as...->JPG thingy.)

Modi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

I use fraps. Not only will it take pics and stick them all into a folder for easy access but you can take video with it too. There is a free version. It leaves a watermark in the video but it isn't too bad. I think video clips in the free version are limited to like 30 seconds aswell.

~Weldergeek

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next