It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:01 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:57 pm 

weldergeek wrote:
I use fraps.

Yeah, I also use that for creating videos. It seems however that having Fraps running in background causes some graphical glitches sometimes. That's why I have Fraps running only when I really have to create videos.

Modi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:51 am 
Obduction Backer

Note about logging bugs - don't use special characters line < and > - the software stops reading the text of the bug at that point and you'll loose the rest of it.

MOULagain KI#27460 - Second Life: Vax Sirnah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:19 pm 

ToriaURU wrote:

We were climbing up the ladder to the hidden room and I kept warping down to the bottom.

I had that in single player, and got it every time...
then found that I could enter the room by stopping at the exact top of the climb, turning around, and backing into the room, continueing until well away from the door- (in fact I backed all the way to the journey, then out the other door and down the stairs.
Crazy, but it worked :lol:

"Things are not what they used to be -- and they never were." Will Rogers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:44 am 

In the begining I had before been making a big mistake in only zipping up the err text files
not the WHOLE LOG folder.
and a little while ago GregBert corrected me.
So as has been said in the first post make sure it's the whole folder
you zip and send.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Jahuti wrote:
Here it is, day two of Jahuti in Beta, and he is totally confused!

To start with, which log files are we talking about? There are several kinds of log files in the LOG folder and several copies of each. Then there are the "Minilogs" down in the Windows system directory that I saw mentioned.

And just what the heck constitutes a "multiplayer" bug? Is that just other people with you when a bug happens, or do they have to be intimately involved? I was in the city last night and tried to link to someone's Relto. I touched the offered book and his avvie spun around so his back was facing me. He started to link, then I linked. I don't know what happened to him, but I wound up in a Relto someplace all by myself, frozen solid. Is that a single-player bug or a multiplayer bug?

Reading this forum, I feel like a complete AOL'er among l335 haxors. I am thinking of giving up my place in Beta so somebody who knows what they are doing can have my place.

Wow, me too! So glad I found this forum and this thread in particular. I've been bumbling along in Beta for a couple days so far, but now, after reading so many posts, I think I have a handle on the log zipping thing:) Greypiffle's post was particularly helpful. greypiffle wrote:
Here is a very quick tutorial:

you go to C:\Program Files\Uru Live and right-click on the "Log" directory
choose rename
rename it to something that has to do with your problem
EX: "relto full log"
right-click on it again.
tell your system to send it to a Compressed (zipped) folder
go to the web site support.urulive.com
click on the "Submit a Ticket" link at the top
fill out all of the fields
at the bottom, in the large box, describe your problem
in the "You may upload an attachment ", click on browse
browse to C:\Program Files\Uru Live\relto full log.zip and upload it
Once it is uploaded, cilck on the "submit ticket" button

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Another thing to note is that a single-player bug is when you are all alone and there is a bug. Like you go to your own relto and get a black screen.

Mutli-player can have the same efect though. If you share your relto book with someone else, then link to your relto right after and get a black screen, then it is a multi-player bug.

They want us to put in tickets for both kinds, but want us to concentrate on multi-player.

If you are in Kemo with another person, and you see another player sitting on a bench backwards, then you need to quit out and zip your log directory after taking a KI shot. you will find the KI shot in your "KIimages" directory to upload allong with your zipped log folder.

If you were in Kemo with C'ris, then you would name the log folder something like "chris bench in kemo log" before zipping. You could rename the KI shot from "KIimage0004.jpg" to "chris kemo bench.jpg" as well to avoid confusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:15 pm 

One thread actually goes into detail about how to use the FTP, and I haven't found any other thread that actually tells you how to use it.

I would add this thread to guide:

http://www.urulive.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=859

(By going into detail I mean it actually lets you know that you need another program, or that you have to type a special address to actually use it with your browser. )

Also, I wanted to mention that you might want to add that you put absolutely nothing in the Invitation Code box when first logging in. I didn't know that when I first got here, and thought I was missing information until GreyDragon told me I didn't need anything in that box.

Last edited by ToxicMoon on Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:17 pm 

Another newbie question? :) The ticket submission form has a box for "Priority" (urgent, high, medium, low)--how do we decide that? The default appears to be "urgent" but I assume it's not urgent if it's a common known bug? Are there criteria for this--or are all bugs "urgent"?

Jane

P.S. Thank you, Jahuti, for saying you were confused! I was totally confused for a couple of days & your saying you were too made me feel less like a complete idiot. (I'm still a little confused, but things are getting gradually clearer.) It does seem like we have to read a lot of stuff in different places to figure out what to do when we first come in. Would it be possible to put a set of step-by-step instructions for newbies all in one place? This thread is a start, but we still have to click a lot of links to figure things out. (I think at one point I had 5 or 6 browser windows open, going back & forth.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

I usually guess. If I get a black screen, I consider that an urgent priority because it completely destroys the ability to play the game.
If I climb a ladder and have to repeat it only once, then it is high priority because it detracts from the realism.
A medium/low bug would be that a tree looks flat.
basically, it's subjective. the more irritating a bug is, the higher the priority to get it fixed. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:28 pm 

cyanfan wrote:
The ticket submission form has a box for "Priority" (urgent, high, medium, low)--how do we decide that? The default appears to be "urgent" but I assume it's not urgent if it's a common known bug? Are there criteria for this

I usually prioritize my bugs after the following criteria:
  • If it is not possible to continue playing normally (even after a restart of Uru Live) or it damages the computer system (didn't happen yet :) ), I mark the bug as "urgent".
  • If it is possible to continue playing the game, but something that definetly should work (puzzles etc.) doesn't, I set the bug priority to "high".
  • If it is possible to continue playing the game, but something that not necessarily should work (lights in the hood) doesn't, I set the bug priority to "medium".
  • If the bug is about something that doesn't interfere with the game play at all (like wrong textures etc.), I mark it as "low".

Hope that helps.

Modi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:36 pm 

Thank you, greypiffle & Modi. Yes that does help! :D

Jane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:41 pm 

irfanview also works great for screeshots. http://www.irfanview.com/

Another suggestion for people with HDD limitations or who are wondering where their space is going is to delete the streaming cache folder found in the sfx folder of your game folder. A new folder will be created each time you log in. These streaming cache folders can get well over 1GB with just one 30 min trip to Uru so it adds up! :?

EDIT: random trivia - I used the word FOLDER(s) 5 times in one paragraph! :D

Post subject: Can't submit ticket
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:10 pm 

:( Ok, what am I doing wrong.....I am logged in here...when I go the Support section and hit submit a ticket I get a screen that wants me to loggin and bugs me about my password. When I loggin (again) it doesn't work...Do I have to create another account..this is ridiculous...What step or part am I goofing up?

Post subject: Re: Can't submit ticket
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Budgie wrote:
:( Ok, what am I doing wrong.....I am logged in here...when I go the Support section and hit submit a ticket I get a screen that wants me to loggin and bugs me about my password. When I loggin (again) it doesn't work...Do I have to create another account..this is ridiculous...What step or part am I goofing up?

you have to register for support. your other login does not work in support. probably for better security.

Post subject: submit ticket stuff
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:35 pm 

:) OK, thanks....got it all sorted out...whew....and thanks for the prompt reply too! Exactly the answer I needed; I knew it was something right in front of my eyes...just didn't understand.... :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next