It is currently Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:40 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 27  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:01 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm one of those who will be left out due to broadband unavailability; no matter what some people think, lack of broadband was not a "choice".

I can understand why this is happening, and though I very seldom visit UU now, just once or twice a month, I am still sad over it. However, I'm not upset or mad, and I do rejoice for the coming of Myst Online and those who will be able to enjoy it. I just pray that I will get to join you all sometime in March when the satellite internet provider that is more affordable will get another satellite in service and start accepting subscribers again.

After today's news, I went to D'mala, and turned off all my Relto pages except for the rain. It somehow feels right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:07 am 

I think some guy at Cyan once said “We have the best fans in the world!”

With the closing of UU, I see Cyan disappointing a portion, albeit small, of that same fan base, and, in particular, casting away those shard owners and admins that kept the dream alive the past few years with their blood sweat and tears (and money).

While I see many here already dancing on UU’s grave, I can’t help but wonder what purpose its death will serve. If Uru Live is now Cyan’s livelihood, I honestly don’t see how UU will impact that. I believe the two can be mutually complimentary.

I don’t believe there are many who currently visit UU that are not or will not soon be subscription members of GameTap. For those that cannot subscribe for various reasons (and there are valid reasons), eliminating UU will not alter that fact. They will still not be paying subscribers. They will drift away from the Myst Universe, apparently forgotten. And the hard work of the shard owners will evaporate in the flip of the authentication server switch much as it did that night long ago when Prologue was “put to bed.” The pain will be felt now as it was then.

Ultimately, Cyan, it’s your decision to end UU’s existence. In my opinion though, it is a mistake. It will drop your credibility a notch in my eyes. You will forsake a small but loyal number of your fan base.

I ask that you consider allowing UU in some form to remain available to those that have no other means of visiting the wonderful world you have created and for those of us that will spend most of our time exploring new worlds in Myst Online, but want to return to visit with old friends in UU.

Thanks,

Rutland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:09 am 

Hello:

Standing firmly on Soap Box. I have a family and it does not have an until or a mo:ul in front of it. It is URU.
When I have had a problem and no where to turn, do you know who comes to my rescue? An UU Shard admin. I would not be able to be in live open beta today without support and kindness from the Explorers and the knowledge gleaned from being in UU. I see no reason to close the uu shards.
I am happy that Live is coming. I do not want to lose contact with those who cannot come to live.
I Liked what June_uru_tmp said.
Thank you Cyan. Getting down from Soap Box.
Cecile (URU_Plum)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:13 am 
Creative Kingdoms

D'Lanor posted the link to Cyan's promise, and I posted a response there. I'm am going to quote it here, but with the caution that what I suggest is a compromise. My suggestion, which relieves Cyan of the burdens of supporting D'mala and Until Uru, leaves the community only with Kagi Keys - No D'mala and no invites. This would be only for existing members with Kagi Keys. It is simply to acknowledge the massive contributions from shard owners and members. It's not a solution for problems with Uru Live access.

Cyan wants to concentrate on Uru Live and they would probably have to continue support of Until Uru if it were seen as an alternative to Uru Live access. That's exactly what it appears they don't want. Best to go for what you can get rather than be denied what Cyan is unwilling to give.

Despite the kind link from D'Lanor, I repeat the entire quote and my post here because of its relevance. This is probably the last I'll have to say on the issue. Emphasis in bold is my own.

Quote:
Originally posted by JWPlatt:
Quote:
Originally posted by Grey_Dragon:
Now that we've announced Uru Live's renewal, we've been asked to clarify our position on Until Uru. After careful consideration, here it is.

Cyan is committed to and dependent on Uru Live's success, so we are putting everything we have into it. Since our resources are limited, we cannot actively support Until Uru as well. With that said, we have no intention of taking back what we've made available - we intend to maintain the auth server so existing users of Until Uru can continue to access their Until Uru shards. However, because we're moving on to Uru Live, we've decided not to issue any new Kagi keys. We encourage any new users who want a taste (albeit an imperfect one) of Uru prior to Uru Live to visit the D'mala shard.

Until Uru was carefully named to convey hope and set expectations. We're excited that the time has come for us to move on.

Le Roi est mort. Vive le Roi!

The Team at Cyan Worlds, Inc

Ok, the above post was pointed out in the thread at MystOnline.com announcing the shutdown of Until Uru. I must point out that as someone without a Kagi Key, the issue is moot in my case so I'll claim some level of objectivity.

I support Cyan's choice to shut down D'mala. Uru Live is superior and will allow free visitor access so there's little point to D'mala.

Until Uru is a different matter. The contributions of shard owners and members might even be beside the point, but there should be a monument placed in Uru Live to acknowledge that these people had a significant role in Uru Live's existence. The monument should be in plain view somewhere appropriate, like the hoods, and not be obscure or an easter egg. Such a thing could even be part of a design contest. Again, I was not involved in Until Uru until Cyan started D'mala so I'm going to claim objectivity in this matter as well.

All that said, the above quote has been obviously contradicted by the recent announcement on Mystonline.com that Until Uru will be completely shut down. Cyan said above, "we have no intention of taking back what we've made available" without putting conditions on it. It should be acknowledged as a contradiction and explained with more detail than a simple announcement. If there was a good reason to go back on a promise, the shard owners and members deserve a real explanation.

I agree Cyan should not have to worry about Until Uru any more. It served its purpose and they no longer need it. I believe Cyan, to relieve themselves of the burden of operating the auth and data server(s), should ask the Until Uru community for a plan to fund and operate these servers themselves under license with the understanding that no more Kagi Keys will ever be issued. Under license, limited to a static supply of Kagi Keys, no D'mala invites, and a membership which will eventually fade away, I can't see how there would possibly be any legal or business concerns obstructing such a solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:21 am 

Oddly, I find myself in agreement with Papa Smurf and Tomala. I won't go into why that's strange because it's ancient history now.

Cyan is ignoring both the people that have worked so hard on maintaining their shards, and those that are unable to log onto Uru Live. They are alienating me as well. Perhaps their association withTurner, et al, has made them less caring about a minority of the community simply because it is a minority.

In other online games, a well-known phenomena is pirate servers, servers operating without the permission or control of the parent company. It is known that the auth and data servers are not irreplaceable, so if Cyan continues with their intent to close Until Uru entirely, it is a good bet that pirate Until Uru servers *will* pop up. Finding them and getting them shut down will not be easy, and indeed will take many more precious resources that it would have taken to simply leave them up officially, not to mention the negative publicity that prosecuting such servers would bring.

I think that what is coming across from Cyan is "Thanks for keeping it alive, but we don't need it anymore, so we're trash-canning the whole thing and we don't care how *you* feel about it".

Cyan needs to rethink their policy on this, unless of course, with all the new players, they feel that they simply don't need the people that kept their dream alive.

BTW: Tapestry shard will be closing at the end of this next Saturday, having been brought up by Eric Large for just one last week. The reasons that it is closing have nothing to do with Cyan and everything to do with personal considerations. There will be a party (for those with a Kagi key) all day Saturday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:22 am 
Obduction Backer

D'Lanor wrote:
tkwiggins wrote:
Who at Cyan told you "there were no plans to shut down UU?"

What did they say, where did they say it, when did they say it, and to whom did they say it?

You're essentially charging Cyan with saying one thing and doing another.

Please provide proof, or retract your statement.

http://www.cyanworlds.com/cgi-bin/ubb-c ... 8;t=000800

Thank you D'lanor,
And some of us have held onto those words for so long now. And many of us who had nothing, still were able to give all we had in time, and Patience. Even knowing all the while we maybe helping develop something that financially we might not be able to participate in the future. It was the love of the game, the story, and all the years of wonder that Myst brought us that kept us occupying the Shards and giving our insight to Cyan. So that maybe one day they could develop a product to be proud of. The sad thing is, in the end. I know there are allot of people tonight who will be far better off than I ever will be. As a result of these peoples dedication to Cyan, and Myst.
Over the past few months. I have had to decide to move for financial reasons. And it seems now my only options in this area are Dial Up and Satellite. I didn't know I Might lose URU in the process. Although I'm sure that's very good news to some. I couldn't care less about the spoiled brats here who have had everything handed to them, including Uru and have no idea Wutt true dedication, Imagination, and sacrifice means. The only thing that has kept me in Uru the last couple years has been my Ingenuity. But I may have reached my Level of Incompetence with the new Game format requirements, and now the loss of the shards.
Like Merc said, It's been a fun ride. And I'm working on a way to stay around the cavern. It's terrible to have dreams and not be able to make them happen.
Thanks anyway Cyan,
Wutt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:00 am 

I am another who will be left out in the cold.I havent been a member of UU but about 4 months,But i have tried to keep up with all the new's which is a job in itself.I have read on many forums that the private shard's would be left open and running for members who don't have access to high speed internet.That would be me for one,and for members who cant get gametap.I now read that all that will be taken away from us.It stands to reason that if we cant get access to gametap now,then taking away from us what we have still wont add to gametap or Cyan.Cyan asked for support from private shards to keep Uru or live alive,and assured the shard owners they could continue after Live was on line .Now it seems someone is going back on their word,after all it was the private shard owners who kept it alive for the fans,no one else can take credit for this.I hope you will reconsider and let the private shards stay up not only for me and and who knows how many others,but for the owners who supported you and upkept their shards at their expence.Thank you for this space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:27 am 
Obduction Backer

I am willing to pay towards keeping the auth server up for those who would otherwise lose their only access to URU and their friends.

I know I probably can not afford the whole price of cost because I am on SS Disability income but if others come forward too, maybe we can help our long time, loyal to Cyan, UU friends out until Cyan can come up with a way to get them in.

How much will it cost us per month to keep the server up, Cyan?

"I don't want to be a part of the problem, I want to be part of the solution."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:27 am 
Obduction Backer

I found that this past week Eric reopened Tapestry Shard to give everyone an opportunity to say goodbye before he stepped aside for UruLive and shut it down permanently. On returning to Tapestry, which had been my home for two years, I found myself with very mixed emotions....On one hand I was so sad so see a shard which was so historic and filled with so many memories go down forever. On the other hand knowing why it was going down and knowing that something we had hoped for and dreamed of...now for three years has come to pass.....gives off different and more happy emotions.

When Live was put to bed the sadness was overwhelming to everyone who experienced it. Nothing for months and all hope seemed to be gone. Six months later Cyan gave us a gift....A wonderful gift.....A server which would allow us to return to the cavern and once again meet up with friends and the rest of the community. I was one of the first to sign up....

I remember back then, that the server was only to be supported by Cyan for one month...That one month grew into two years.....I understood back then the "Until" in UU and it always meant to me that someday UruLive would return. In the two years I spent in UU I never gave up the hope that Live would return.

Initially the cavern throughout all the servers was full and thriving.....Slowly I watched people disappear one by one until there were hardly 10 people in the cavern on all shards. Some returned for a visit or maybe to just check out what was going on....but the cavern at times appeared to be among the dead. I can remember sitting in the UO hood on Tapestry for hours and not a soul came in. Some of those complaining now...should have been there and maybe we would have been on this threshold sooner.

Valant attempts by many diehards to create activities and events to lure people back many time succeeded. Hours of time consuming planning and service was given by those who tried to provide entertainment and keep people coming back....

Slackers shard with their wonderful imagination and humor.....the initial Pub Nights and the subsequent Up on the Roof parties...The Christmas parties, Parades, Pizza parties and UU anniversary....TAG activities...The City Tours...Glyph Tours....Ladies Garden Club....D'Olympics and Marker Games.....All these activities and more were done...Why????? To keep Uru alive "Until".....

YES!!!!! We owe deep and sincere gratitude to all of the shard owners...without who...these activities could not have been possible......Yes....... we owe deep and sincere gratitude to all those diehards who would not let Uru die.....But now like UU Tapestry...it's time to step aside...because the "Until" is now here.....

I'm sure that the AgeBuilders projects will continue and Cyan will find a way.......So with all the hope and dream we put in UU....Now draw on that for the AB projects...

Am I sad....you betya.....There's an entire history in UU and I sure hope it's archived and saved....But I would not trade the return of UruLive for anything...even UU......

SG

Last edited by SuperGram on Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:09 am 
Obduction Backer

Jahuti wrote:
Cyan is ignoring both the people that have worked so hard on maintaining their shards, and those that are unable to log onto Uru Live. They are alienating me as well. Perhaps their association with Turner, et al, has made them less caring about a minority of the community simply because it is a minority.

Jahuti, you have wrangled with me for years. Something I never understand is how Myst Fans can not accept the fact that Cyan needs financial support in order to bring them the products the people desire.. They choose to do this through distributors and large commercial entities.. Large entities, no matter how cool of a business they are, are still interested in the bottom line. If something appears to be bleeding, they suture it.

But, I would like to say this is not an issue with them not being caring about a minority of the community nor not recognizing the individuals behind the shards. In fact, I would like to implore you to take a step to make sure these people do not get forgotten (as I myself am).

Please, take the time to compile a list of ALL of the shard owners who have ever existed, the name of their shard, and the "theme/purpose" of their shard if ther ewas one. If you know approximately the period of times those shards were open (started/ended) all the better. Once that list is acquired, lets have a community-contest and have someone model something that includes all of those names (and possibly the information, but not necessarily). Or compile it into a book. Or make some form of monument (plus book if necessary) to the community. Lets get it put together and then see if we can talk Cyan into using it as an example of the future and possibly of user-created content. I foresee much possibility with this idea. If people get the information together then hold a contest inside the community - then pick the best options and send them to Cyan.. there is a lot of possibility.

Think we can handle that? :)

-M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:27 am 

Something else that shouldn't be forgotten is the enormous amount of work the COBBS guys and others accomplished in the months following the shutdown of Prologue. It was their passion, perseverance and sweat in working with Cyan that made UU possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:31 am 

Speaking as one who never had a kagi key, I really can't know where many are coming from. D'mala was all I have ever known, and I made my fairwells there some time ago. My "Until" was rather short, and now I am focused like many on live.

But

I have always felt however D'mala and the shards had earned their continued place, even if it means a new purpose. Closed but not Recalled there are still possabilities

Anyway I'll raise a glass on the last day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:33 am 
Obduction Backer

tkwiggins wrote:
Something else that shouldn't be forgotten is the enormous amount of work the COBBS guys and others accomplished in the months following the shutdown of Prologue. It was their passion, perseverance and sweat in working with Cyan that made UU possible.

Yes that too tk.....COBBS should not be forgotten for their contribution. I like the idea of maybe a history book plus some kind of a plaque for those wonderful contributers.......

SG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:35 am 
Creative Kingdoms

When I suggested a monument and contest, I was wondering how the designers would include all the shards, themes, logos, admins, and members by name. A book to include with the monument solves the problem and is a great idea.

The admins should dump the member names and consolidate a list while you have the chance.

And, just to be clear, I suggested this for inclusion into Uru Live itself for everyone to see forever - not on a shelf or desk or courtyard somewhere in Real Life where few will see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:51 am 

*heavy sigh*
well, here we are. facing the demise of Until Uru. Yes, i know what UNTIL means. UNTIL i got to UU, i had no idea what great people i would meet. UNTIL i was introduced to the Slackers private shard by a wonderful friend, i had no idea that i would meet my online FAMILY. UNTIL today, i thought my dialup internet wasn't going to be so bad, cuz i still had the private shards. Yes, i chose to live in a rural area. but that was BEFORE i found UNTIL Uru!

my friend, mig says:
Quote:
It stands to reason that if we cant get access to gametap now,then taking away from us what we have still wont add to gametap or Cyan.Cyan asked for support from private shards to keep Uru or live alive,and assured the shard owners they could continue after Live was on line .Now it seems someone is going back on their word,after all it was the private shard owners who kept it alive for the fans,no one else can take credit for this.I hope you will reconsider and let the private shards stay up not only for me and and who knows how many others,but for the owners who supported you and upkept their shards at their expence.

and they're my sentiments too.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 27  Next