It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:09 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Should emotes/player interactions that allow characters to express themselves romantically be added to Myst Online?
Poll ended at Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:29 am
Yes 21%  21%  [ 26 ]
No 79%  79%  [ 95 ]
Total votes : 121
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:12 am 
Obduction Backer

Moleculor wrote:
America is somewhat backwards when it comes to romance and sexuality. We all exist because of it, but the most vocal Americans believe that it's somehow 'evil'.

What Country runs "THERE"? I did the trial thing with THERE. And saw how people can set up their boudoirs, or Pimp Pads, or where you can take someone to the "Love Garden". I think it takes virtuality a bit far. But like I said, "Get a Room" and then I don't care who you do.

I have seen two avatars before stay in the hug position in the middle of the hood pronouncing their love to one another for all who will listen. While everyone tried to chat over them. It's a little bit unsettling. Not because I'm American, or that I don't like sex. I just don't want to watch it if I ain't gettin any. Know wutt I mean? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:41 am 
Obduction Backer

D'Neile wrote:
It's a little bit unsettling. Not because I'm American, or that I don't like sex. I just don't want to watch it if I ain't gettin any. Know wutt I mean? :lol:

I know what you mean, big time! Being 17 and having just finished high school...

In short: Uru is my way of taking a vacation from...that part of...myself. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:39 pm 

Moleculor wrote:
If the company were European, you might have a better shot. Over there, they're comfortable with human nature. 'ell, they even have billboards with complete full frontal nudity over there, as well as commercials at 3PM on the TV with nudity as well. They don't cover up nudity in any way, and in general are a bit more comfortable with the parts of ourselves we all see every day.

Where is this amazing Europe place about which you speak? All we have in TV commercials at 3PM is companies selling loans and companies offering to help with debt problems because you've borrowed too much. They never do those commercials naked, although it might sell the products better I suppose.

I must go out naked to check out the billboards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

You've obviously not watched Tarrant on TV, Guy. :) France / Germany have more naked flesh than we do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:11 pm 

Not taking a stance per se but when was the last time anyone watched the Disney Channel... oops... please don't you might see a hug or two... God forbid, even a kiss.

Ki#00241353

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:27 pm 

Rusty_Russell wrote:
France / Germany have more naked flesh than we do.
I agree. I was really commenting on Europe not being the same everywhere. Trust the British to collect together TV adverts and get people to watch them as an actual programme.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:11 pm 

You guys just lack imagination. :P

Oh, we should do an emote lesson tomrrow. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:18 pm 

Location: In the dark, behind you. With the glowsticks in my nose.
Remind me not to be there. Not to be prude, but IMO people who are stimulated ... that way.... by a relationship online need to go out and meet real people.

Give me a break. Just because "they do it in Europe" doesn't mean we have to too. Just because certain places are more liberal/tollerant towards certain behaviors doesn't mean that I will or have to be.

If that kind of thing is appealing to you, and you can't find another more appropriate game to go... satisfy yourself ... in. Get a room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Just because "they do it in Europe" doesn't mean we have to too.
I agree with that. I wouldn't want it in URU Live. We're meant to be on some sort of archaeological dig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:14 pm 

moodyblues4me wrote:
Not taking a stance per se but when was the last time anyone watched the Disney Channel... oops... please don't you might see a hug or two... God forbid, even a kiss.

Straw man! Straw man! TV is something different entirely. :roll:

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I'd like to say that I think this game looks great. Just think this would be a great addition for the adult section of the community, who I'm guessing would dominate over many of the children playing given that in order to play this game one must be over the age of majority in most countries as I am certain that most people will choose to pay by a credit card.

While it is probably true that more adults than children will play Uru, you must remember that GameTap allows sub-accounts especially for family use. Additionaly, two people can play Uru at the same time on the same account. Thus the credit card issue being a limitation for underage players is moot. There will be lots of kids playing this game, espcially since the 'maturity filter' parents can set will allow nearly all ages to see and play Uru.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:00 pm 

After Te'ana's post I got to thinking... a dangerous thing when your a wizard like me :(

But seriously what if we were able, as parents, to apply age based filters to the game wherein you could let your children see only others of their own age group and your own family (since they might be older). This might eliminate the need to worry about older people who might try to abuse their role in the game.

I know from experience that applying global filters is something that can be set up on the basic layer of an applications security, and is done all the time in other types of programing, so I don't see any issue in this being done with minimal coding; that is, if they have already set up groups and categories to deliver content based on age, style of play, etc...

It really depends on one's POV as to what is acceptable or not in a free society. Even on the surface, all over the globe, there is no one authority of hidden group guiding the mores of the citizenry, unless you're a conspiracy theorist ... :lol:

Yet, parents should feel comfortable about their childrens presence in the public sphere since they are the innocents and we all know how many "predators" exist in the fabric of this open society. So it would behoove Cyan to add in some better qualifiers and filters for control.

I know GameTap has certain age restrictions that can be applied on what games are available for children, but once a game has been downloaded what filters apply then? None that I know of at the moment.... if you know of any please feel free to inform us...

So as a concerned parent what can be done? Should this be a feature request? Has it already been made a feature request? It's hard to search the support system and get anything useful back.... i tried... :(

What next.... do we just watch over our children's shoulders to make sure that the adults in the cavern are behaving? Do we hope that a group of hidden moderators are spying on us to make sure the world is safe for the citizens? Do we do it ourselves?

I know that the Guild of Illusionists in the society of the D'ni was such a secret organization set up like the Lord of the Rings rangers, to police and watch over the realms and help out where needed... but all this is speculation and probably belongs elsewhere; yet, it is part of gameplay and must be addressed, if not redressed by the folks at Cyan and GameTap to make the game safer for children, and less worrisome for parents....

What do you say GameTap and Cyan? What is your word on this issue? Are you listening.... just a wizard's daily thoughts .... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:21 pm 

The most basic level of protection is that there is no "kid" avatar, I know it seems silly but if a child is on Uru all they have to do is keep quiet and they can go without notice. The next level that I have seen in action is the chat systems filters. Some words just arn't passed on by the KI.

But the best protection is the ignore feature, with a simple command the offender is erased from your existance.

All of these things however put the ball into the parents court where it belongs. The basic tools are in place the rest of it is up to the parents. The most I can see Cyan doing is a parental setting that auto enables the ignore feature when someone says something the KI blocks.

As for animation's well snow has a better chance of falling in the tropics then Cyan spending time on even a slightly questionable animation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:08 pm 

earthwizard wrote:
What next.... do we just watch over our children's shoulders to make sure that the adults in the cavern are behaving? Do we hope that a group of hidden moderators are spying on us to make sure the world is safe for the citizens? Do we do it ourselves?

Umm... yes? I hope you aren't seriously expecting Cyan to do your babysitting for you. It's nothing new; children have been preyed upon since the dawn of instant messaging. In America you might be able to sue anyone and everything for corrupting your child, but that doesn't make you any less negligent as a parent.

As for the word filter, it's doing more harm than good at the moment. Care for a discussion on the assassin's guild, anyone? If the word filter was optional, most people would have less incentive to circumvent it. And the fact that so few have tried to circumvent it thus far, only goes to show that it's not really needed in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:13 pm 

earthwizard wrote:

This is not an Uru issue, this is a much larger internet issue. There have been many many such discussions over this with regard to MySpace.com, Runescape, and other sites that kids use.

Truly, the only way to know whether your child is using the internet safely (is there such a thing?) is to have the computer in a public part of the home where the parents can see it, to check in on them frequently, and to talk with them about their online activities and friends.

Even with all those precautions, kids can and will find other places outside their home to use the internet. (I've seen this happen a lot.)

Therefore, parents need to be absolutely sure that their children understand that there are child predators out there (in whatever age appropriate terms they can understand), and that they must never give out any personal information on the internet. Understanding is key.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next