It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Age Uran...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:07 pm 

What is this?

Quote:
Uran Open Approved for release 6.25.07

I got it off the DRC site. What age is Uran? Open allready? Must be anticipating something. The 25 is later this month!

Papa G's twin KI:
Papa G's Triplet KI:
About me: I specialize in the ages and music, but I know NOTHING about the storyline. I am just here for fun.
(I will put in a pic of all my stuff later.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:08 pm 

It's the
[spoiler]ErcanaCitySilo, also known as Ashem'en. It's official title was Uran until about 4,300 years ago when its name was changed to honor Ashem.

So yeah, it's already released. :)[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:09 pm 

Ahhh, so sorry. Thanks!

Papa G's twin KI:
Papa G's Triplet KI:
About me: I specialize in the ages and music, but I know NOTHING about the storyline. I am just here for fun.
(I will put in a pic of all my stuff later.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:07 am 

While I know some of the longer-term experts aren't fooled by this, is anyone else bothered by the fact that there are areas like Uran that sound like full ages, but are just a single "area" of an existing one?

Would be nice if the DRC Site called them something like "D'ni: Uran" so the relative newcomers aren't expecting too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Not all small areas are parts of other Ages. Some *large* areas *are* parts of other Ages. And some areas, like the pods, may turn out to be parts of other Ages, but the DRC wouldn't know that right away.

I'd rather keep the current system, and simply realize that not everything listed is an Official Age-Sized Age. (Which is an OOC concept anyway.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:42 am 

belford wrote:
Not all small areas are parts of other Ages. Some *large* areas *are* parts of other Ages. And some areas, like the pods, may turn out to be parts of other Ages, but the DRC wouldn't know that right away.

I'd rather keep the current system, and simply realize that not everything listed is an Official Age-Sized Age. (Which is an OOC concept anyway.)

Hmm, I hadn't really considered that there might be some areas that they don't know are part of the same "Age" or not. In that case, your argument definitely makes sense.

Sort of calls to question the definition of an "Age" at all - it is supposed to be an entire universe, right? So, Earth and Mars are in the same Age, but linking to either wouldn't make you think such. However, looking at the description book should tell you that, in fact, they are in the same universe, wouldn't it? But I suppose the DRC doesn't have access to those, nor would they likely be able to decipher which share universes or not.

However, I think the places we DO know are in the same age should be grouped together somehow. Uran in particular makes sense to me because it's in the cavern, and the DRC and everyone else know that.

Now, I've got a question about Uran...

Has what appears to be a door at the top of the ladder ever been opened, or is that something that'll be new to even the vets?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

That would be something entirely new. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:14 pm 

I've always wondered what would be in that door....probably just an interior view of a silo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ravidrath wrote:
Sort of calls to question the definition of an "Age" at all - it is supposed to be an entire universe, right? So, Earth and Mars are in the same Age, but linking to either wouldn't make you think such.

/scratchhead

If one age was the entire universe, there would be no other ages.

In other words, Earth and Mars are in one solar system (ours...well, for most of us). Our solar system is in a galaxy and this galaxy is part of a cluster of galaxies which is part of the larger Universe which contains everything.

I sure hope that makes sense. I don't wanna have to drag out the scale model for you. Just inflating it would take more time than we have.

And, by the way (from a long lost thread) a parsec is not a measure of distance, but of degree. That said, it is 19-trillion, two-hundred billion miles across. (Don't ask me at what point that measurement is taken or what happens when you snap the tape measure back into its holder.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Parsec is still a distance.

Parsec {pahr'-sek} (pc), a unit used in astronomy, is the distance at which a star's PARALLAX (apparent shift as measured from opposite points on a base line equivalent to the radius of the Earth's orbit) is 1 second of arc. The parsec equals 3.26 light-years; 206,265 astronomical units; 3.086 X (10 to the power of 13) kilometers; or 1.917 X (10 to the power of 13) miles. If parallax is given in seconds, the reciprocal is distance in parsecs. Astronomical unit, (AU), mean distance between the earth and the sun. One AU is c.92,960,000 mi (149,604,970 km).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sir Fred Hoyle would be proud of you, Rusty. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:48 pm 

Teknobubba wrote:
Ravidrath wrote:
Sort of calls to question the definition of an "Age" at all - it is supposed to be an entire universe, right? So, Earth and Mars are in the same Age, but linking to either wouldn't make you think such.

/scratchhead

In other words, Earth and Mars are in one solar system (ours...well, for most of us). Our solar system is in a galaxy and this galaxy is part of a cluster of galaxies which is part of the larger Universe which contains everything.

I sure hope that makes sense. I don't wanna have to drag out the scale model for you. Just inflating it would take more time than we have.

And, by the way (from a long lost thread) a parsec is not a measure of distance, but of degree. That said, it is 19-trillion, two-hundred billion miles across. (Don't ask me at what point that measurement is taken or what happens when you snap the tape measure back into its holder.)

I'm pretty sure they've clearly defined linking as requiring interdimenional transportation, and different dimensions are different universes. Notice I said "an" entire universe, implying multiples. And I'm talking about perspective of the traveler - to someone that blindly links about, Mars and Earth might seem like different Ages, even though they're in the same universe.

We can't directly link to Mars from Earth, because (unless we're Yeesha or Bahro, Relto, yada yada) they're in the same "Age". This brings up a few problems...

1. If all "Ages" are in our universe, as you seem to propose, then how can we link to them at all, since the process is supposed to require passing through a dimensional barrier? Once again, talking about book rules, as described... somewhere - some of the journals, 'cause I know I didn't make this up.

2. If they all are in our universe, then what's the definition of an Age? Is it an arbitrary barrier defined by some arbitrary distance? Say, uh, a Parsec? If I fly far enough away from Earth can I link back to Earth, or link to Mars, or Tau Ceti or an alien spaceship in the Transcend?

I think my question is why do you think the Great Tree of Possibilities automatically place all links in the same universe? Just because there's more to explore outside of "the hours of exploration in a large environment" we immediately see upon linking doesn't mean there can't be more if, say, we built a faster-than-light transport upon linking in. And I'm pretty certain that I can't fly back to Earth from Er'cana. Or at least the Earth we know.

Back to my original question, I suppose it's possible that the descriptor books don't have any explicit guides at to which universe the link leads to, even for experienced description readers and writers. Since the the writing process is supposedly just precisely writing descriptions and the Great Tree is just translating that into the most accurate linkable link, I suppose it follows that each age is probably each in its own universe. I suppose it could be possible to coincidentally have two or more Ages in the same universe, but then there'd be difficulties linking between some Ages and others.

For example, if I wrote a book that described a Silly-Putty planet (best planet ever, BTW) and took the link, and then rewrote the same description exactly, the Great Tree would find ANOTHER, nearly-identical Silly Putty planet for me, wouldn't it? I can't link from Putty Planet I to Putty Planet II, so it'd have to find a nearly identical world in another universe for the link to work, right?

And, hey, this is a big derail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Gotcha.

I thought of dimensions right after posting...but decided to see what turned up in other posts.

Put me down to beta test the Silly Putty planet, OK? Sounds like too much fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:08 pm 

Teknobubba wrote:
Ravidrath wrote:

/scratchhead

Linking theory is based on the concept of a multiverse, not a universe. Therefore, yes, each age is in essence its own universe. It doesn't have to be just an island, or just a planet.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:17 pm 

Teknobubba wrote:

Yeah, technically the word "universe" should mean "everything". But a popular usage has arisen where it is used to mean "everything that we could ever reach by travelling in space" (and possibly time, though that raises hairy questions). People who use "universe" with this meaning tend to use the word "multiverse" to denote absolutely everything.

It's a misnomer similar to "atom", which denotes indivisibility, which we now know is not a property of atoms.