It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:28 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:17 pm 

95 pellets produced with all four ovens set to 30/30/30 and with water only in the tank corresponding to oven 3 have yielded a cumulative average pellet score of 972.3. The highest 5 pellet score was 4945. The lowest 5 pellet score was 4783. All of these pellets, of course, produced a lovely golden spread of waves when dropped from the scanning machine.

Are there ANY other oven settings which produce a score as high as this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

In terms of score versus time, yes. InghisKhan's 19.5 recipe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:11 pm 

I noticed something today. I created a second avie this morning, I was bored, and proceeded to go through the ages again. Now I took this new avie through Er'Cana but never did any pellets with it. Mind you I did not do any pellets at all with avie #2. Yet avie #2 has a pellet score. The score corresponds to what I have with avie #1's pellet bake-off.

This leads to me to wondering if both avies started baking pellets if both batches would add to the score or is it just a bug that inadvertantly struck me and I shouldn't be seeing avie #1 pellet score.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

It's a bug. If you switch from one avatar to another, you sometimes keep seeing the old avatar's cumulative pellet score.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:07 am 

Raniass'i wrote:
I noticed something today. I created a second avie this morning, I was bored, and proceeded to go through the ages again. Now I took this new avie through Er'Cana but never did any pellets with it. Mind you I did not do any pellets at all with avie #2. Yet avie #2 has a pellet score. The score corresponds to what I have with avie #1's pellet bake-off.

This leads to me to wondering if both avies started baking pellets if both batches would add to the score or is it just a bug that inadvertantly struck me and I shouldn't be seeing avie #1 pellet score.

This is a KI bug. If you have your second avatar make a batch of pellets, the true pellet score for that avatar will be shown instead of your first avatar's score. Once your second avatar makes a batch of pellets, you should NEVER see anything but the true score for the second avatar's pellets in the second avatar's KI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

You can also avoid the bug by quitting the Uru client completely between avatars. (As opposed to using the "Log Out" option.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:26 am 

BrettM wrote:
Ever consider applying for a position as an FPI Research Associate? :) Seriously, that is the kind of thing I live to do in the D'niverse, and I just invented FPI some time ago as a way to put an in-character gloss on my normal activities, though this is the first time I've used it to support actual story. I have been thinking about expanding operations to bring in other people of like mind. Perhaps someday FPI will be the equivalent of the D'ni Guild of Analysts. For some projects it would be much easier to have a team collecting the data so that it doesn't take 30 years to gather enough to be worth analyzing.

If this comes to fruition, BrettM, Dot would be interested in joining. KI number in signature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:18 am 

Exactly what kind of information would FPI be looking for, and is there anything more you could say about them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:32 pm 

Kitsune wrote:
Exactly what kind of information would FPI be looking for, and is there anything more you could say about them?

Well, my first project several years ago was to figure out the conversion between D'ni time and surface time, which resulted in an article for DPWR.net and eventually resulted in the CCConverter program.

I spent much time observing day/night cycles in Gira and Payiferen, and now I maintain a kind of almanac of predicted times for Gira sunsets and Payiferen sunrises and sunsets.

Some of the work others did on gathering sky-color data in Negilahn and charting the changes would have made a good FPI project. Watching the weather in Delin for signs of a pattern to the changes is a good project, though very long term (and it may turn out that it isn't on a cycle at all, but just on a switch that Cyan throws when they feel like it).

Gathering data on the behavior of the ovens is a good example of the kind of thing FPI would do, and I'm sure the future will bring us more Ages with day/night cycles or other events or equipment that needs similar study. One of my current projects is taking daily snapshots of the lake from a couple of good locations so that we have a record of the changes over the course of the lighting effort.

What it comes down to is that I look for anything that can be measured in some way in the game, then work on collecting those measurements and finding useful ways to summarize them.

FPI could also assist other groups in large data-collection efforts for their projects. Someday, for example, it might be possible to assist the Guild of Cartographers by gathering KI coordinates in various locations for their mapping efforts, following their instructions on where they need such data collected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:25 pm 

This sounds like a very good idea.

One of the things I tried with buddies and neighbours a few months back was to check (very roughly) how the acceleration due to gravity varied in different ages. One of the challenges can be to work out ways of estimating measurements when we don't have tools in-game -- back to ancient Greek science almost.

Oops. Totally off topic really. But I would like to be involved in this sort of work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:05 pm 

We are putting together a news report this weekend at CCN. Is there anyone here who has pretty much baked, dropped and counted pellets every day, since this project began? If you have - - could you admit so here or send that confidential information to [email protected]?

We will need to use your name in the report of course, and would like some documentation to support your contention. :) usually a good story about it with no loopholes will do, not too long :wink: A (1) nice photo works as well.

Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:10 am 

Okay, so I've really only started dwelling into the whole pellet creation process.... and thought I'd pop by here to get an idea of what it's all about. Gotta say, I got completely lost with which oven is which in relations to peoples recipes. As I'm a visual-orientated person, I made a little Oven Map which might be a little more helpful for anyone new coming into this.

[spoiler]Image
For clarification, this is how they relate. V=Vat, O=Oven
V | O
1 | 4
2 | 3
3 | 1
4 | 2
[/spoiler]
Hope this clarifies things for anyone coming fresh into this... like me. Lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:55 pm 

Sorry, I must have missed something; do the vats actually affect the pellet "scores"?

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:10 pm 

Frisky Badger wrote:
Sorry, I must have missed something; do the vats actually affect the pellet "scores"?

Indirectly. Oven 4 is connected to the undrainable vat, and is known as the "super oven" because of its larger contribution to the overall response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

However, draining a vat or stopping the impeller does not affect the pellet outcomes. I checked. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next