It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tailored Bevin Contest
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Yes, I stole the contest idea from Simon_Bitdiddle (that brilliant, handsome, charming, witty guy) who recently held a Relto Page design “contest” here which produced great results. (The Explorers’ imagination and creativity never ceases to amaze me!) And, I’m hoping for similar results here. So….

Assuming that advertising is coming to the cavern, wouldn’t the best kind be that which directly pays for something Explorers want? My idea is for the advertiser to sponsor the “restoration” of a neighborhood or other public area, and then those areas would be tailored to provide additional content to attract explorers to visit. For example:

:) A popular athletic shoe company could sponsor a place full of “kickables” (and extra space to create the “art”), and maybe even give our avies a new pair of shoes.

:) The Barnes & Noble or Amazon.com shop or hood could be loaded with informative books & journals to read, all of which are related to Myst/URU, and most of which can already be found somewhere online, but this place brings them all together, including:
· How to Info – from the Basics for Beginners (How to use the KI; Emotes List, etc.) to Hints, Spoilers, and Walkthroughs.
· Historical Info: D’ni History, DRC History, MOUL Episode Synopsis
· Archived Info: Chatlogs

:) The Starbucks Bevin or shop in the city might have tables and chairs with hotspots for sitting and each table area would be like the eggrooms where the conversation would become private (but without a time limit). This might be a good place for Greeters to hang out, and they could use these private table areas for providing puzzle tips. (Heh, this could also be where the ResEngs hang out between orientations – and if we buy them a cup of coffee, Paypal sends the money straight to Cyan.)

:) And, what kind of neighborhood, city shop, or other public area would you design for explorers to be able to purchase Cyan & Myst-related merchandise? Or, other merchandise online?

So, what kind of space would you design and what items would you include in it? (Keep in mind that it doesn’t have to fit the Bevins as they are now.) Thanks and have fun! :D Oh, and see Simon for your prizes. http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewto ... 011#172011

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:57 pm 

I think this is a great idea and I love your ideas, especially if it means many more ages to explore. Here's mine:

:D vertical islands, much like our relto island, that are interconnected w/ bridges, swinging ropes, trollies, etc. as sponsored by engineers from around the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:18 pm 

I would love a Borders/Starbucks Bevin!(two in one)

My three favorite things together! reading, uru, and Starbucks!

I'm so ecstatic right now.

I wouldn't be able to create this because I don't have photoshop:(

But I cant wait to see the results :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:14 am 

If Starbucks turns up in cavern, i'm off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:05 pm 

Okay then, not a Starbucks :roll: , just a cafe? with coffee, and pastries? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Ged_UK wrote:
If Starbucks turns up in cavern, i'm off!

The debate about advertising is over in the General Discussion section http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11016 where you are more than welcome to express your opinion on the topic. This thread was placed in the Creativity section specifically to allow for imaginative ideas to flow freely without fear of criticism. Please respect the intent of this thread. Thank you. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:17 am 
Creative Kingdoms

I would like to be able to buy a gift for someone I know In Cavern at a sponsor's area, such as a Bevin or a storefront along the Canyon, and yet maintain our respective privacy if we wish. Or maybe people could run In Cavern contests with real gifts for the winners. The possibilities, like real life, are limitless. Advertisers don't have to limit themselves just to advertising. It might also be attractive for them to handle commerce with, and between, explorers. Here's one possibility:

1. I browse for a gift. Maybe it's a shirt on a table at The Gap's Bevin, a book at Barnes & Noble's Bevin, or some other D'ni collectable at Mystwear's Bevin.

2. I'd like to buy it for the person I'm with, or maybe even as a surprise for someone who doesn't expect it. Maybe it's a birthday gift or a wedding present. Maybe it's a friendship bracelet. Or maybe it could even be a Pizza ordered for delivery to Cyan at the Papa John's Bevin.

3. I click on a hotspot to purchase. Maybe my information is requested right then, or maybe a central account has already been established to make it easy. The account could be a Paypal account, or maybe Wachovia Bank has a Bevin branch where I can set up these things.

4. I can either have it shipped to myself, or transfer the prepaid gift to another explorer via the KI.

5. I am shown the transaction for confirmation to purchase.

6. If it is for myself, I'm done with a click and a confirmation with all my saved information.

7. If I transferred my purchase as a gift to another explorer via my KI, they might receive a notice in their KI alerting them that a gift is waiting.

8. They click on the gift to accept delivery and either enter their shipping information or use an existing account they have already set up for themselves.

9. The gift is sent and, most importantly, received and appreciated.

What we have here is a way to make the virtual world of Uru Live touch our lives in a real way. It furthers the sense of immersion and allows explorers to really do things of substance and consequence for each other. It should also be noted that the purchaser and the recipient can completely maintain their own privacy throughout the process. Neither the buyer nor the recipient need reveal any personal information whatsoever to each other during the entire transaction.