It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:14 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:34 pm 

Well we know what happened to the Wahrk. But where did the bowl of petunias go?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:55 am 

Julian Lapis wrote:
No idea, Chief. But I'll wager you my entire drinks cabinet as to what it was thinking at the time... :D
The Wahrk or the bowl of petunias?

"Oh no, not again".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:41 pm 

Isn't one of the basic premises of the entire myst universe that said universe is infinite? Ergo why it's called linking to ages and not creating them. The books simply provided passage to a place that always existed, they do not contain the actual age. The writer of the age imagens the world yes, but since the the universe is infinite; anything the writer can imagen already exists.

So, if we don't happen to see the rest of Riven anywhere that's simply because it's an infinite universe and as such the remains of riven could be in an infnite number of places. As what I understand of the starfisure is that it's the place in between all ages and as such also infinite.

Edit: In an infinite universe you do not nead multiple dimensions (other universes) in order to have multiple identical or slightly identical versions of the same thing. It's all encompassed in one universe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yojimbo wrote:
Isn't one of the basic premises of the entire Myst universe that said universe is infinite?

Nope. :P
There's a nice post from Dr. Watson on the DRC boards explaining that, while for practical purposes the Great Tree of Possibilities is so big that it's as if it were infinite, it's not infinite in the mathematical sense of the word.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ian Atrus wrote:
t's not infinite in the mathematical sense of the word.

And how could anyone possibly know this? :?:

Morningstar - KI#1053460
Please avoid drinking the lake water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Morningstar wrote:

Ask Dr. Watson. :P
To me, the most logical explanation is that infinite universes require infinite matter, and if there's a thing that nature abhors is infinity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:01 pm 

:mrgreen: I like the word 'infinite' - it covers a multitude of sins. Using the term simply gives one a license to visualize anything. And - just who are we to say that this is not the case.

There are countless scenarios that get 'knocked back' simply because they do not conform to modern man's logic. We cannot apply our laws of intelligence / physics - so the idea must be wrong. Yeah... right.

Post subject: debris
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:44 pm 

Space Junk! This stuff looks like good specimens for Black Mesa Research Facility to look at, as well as the D'ni cavern-wait, G-moron destroyed it. Is the Cleft/Volcano a good spot to stick the new Black Mesa?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think the golden dome plugged up the star fissure, preventing further Riven items from coming through. It also squashed the link-in hut near the fissure, hence the lack of a stable image in the Riven book in Atrus' Tomahna study (in Myst III).

So if anyone happens to stumble upon Age 233's linking book, I think you can still get into Riven.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:03 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Ian Atrus wrote:
Morningstar wrote:

Ask Dr. Watson. :P
To me, the most logical explanation is that infinite universes require infinite matter, and if there's a thing that nature abhors is infinity.

Actually, nature abhors a vacuum. Space and mathematics are fine with infinities. Zero is the troublemaker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Woah, talk about thread necromancy. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Thread necromancy just requires finite energy, not infinite, therefore it happens :wink:

As for infinite universes and infinite mass, well, each universe has finite mass. Unless they're discrete universes connected physically with a way to say fly from one instance of kadish to another to earth.. then we don't have a problem with infinity at all, since it's an infinity of finites.

I think Dr. Watson is making the stuff up as he goes though.. and finally is writing down the major critical stuff that needs to be consistent. Otherwise we wouldn't have the trap book controversy, would we? :P

(Admittedly, I'm impressed he's self-consistent in this universe. It's not easy to create a whole reality design and have it fit together with the timelines too... particularly not if it's actually had revisions and retconning)

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:27 am 

Well, here's the thing. There are billions upon billions of stars in this universe. Every one of those stars has the potential of having planets. We are begining to discover that many of them do have planets. So, given the D'ni writing restrictions, isn't it possible that what ever someone came up with as an idea for an age does exist somewhere? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:28 am 

if matter were infiinte then it would not be matter, it would be energy with unlimited form and potential. Dr Watson seems pretty well grounded in string theory IMHO and the D'ni applications thereof. Intriguning topic. But where did the Wahark go before it arrived where it went?

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:14 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
Actually, nature abhors a vacuum.
:shock: :shock: :shock: No it don't!! My mind is the living proof of it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3