It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:19 pm 

Hello all!

I need a few...*ah-hem* guinea pigs in order to test a new system that I have up and running. Basically, I need more idea's for what to do with it (I have a few all ready), as well as testing for how stable it is.

Now...as for what it really is:
As I'm sure we all know....keeping up with the DRC and other members is pretty hectic during the events. So...I came up with a fun little system that makes it possible to keep up with them, and your friends, even if you're no where NEAR the cavern! The FRS as I call it, makes it possible to actually see chat, in real time, relayed from the cavern to the Emurade website!
So during events, I just plonk a avie within a high profile area...then sit back, watch the Emurade log updated in real time, and enjoy. No having to jostle with lag, or people.

Now, as for the actual site itself, there's two links:
Emurade main website:
http://www.emurade.com

FRS Large Screen Version:
http://71.83.118.96:8080/FRSMain.htm

I'd be much obliged if I could get some feedback on this new little system. :)

Thanks!
-Anu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:29 pm 

This is awesome! Great job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:51 pm 

I can see this really working. I'm not sure how this works, but looking at it, I can really see how this system could be useful. Send me a PM and I'll send you some of my ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:37 pm 

Heya guys,

My computer had a temporary power outage, so the system is now in "Static" mode (meaning, it'll only show the chat up untill it had the power outage).

Just wanted to give a heads up on why it's not updating. :)
Thanks for your understanding (I'm away from my computer, hence why I can't take it out of static mode).

EDIT: There, back online!

Last edited by Anubislg on Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:48 pm 

Can you elaborate on your system? How does it work and what technologies are you using?

I've written a log forwarder a while ago that grabs log from the chatlog file and forwards it to IRC and possible other systems like ICQ and MSN. I decided against writing an end user version because people weren't really interested in it. I hope your approach has more success.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:38 am 

Hey there, Tiran!

It's indeed a log forwarder, of sorts though. The log is actually parsed through a custom PHP script (hence how the time is parsed off). As such, I've also been thinking of parsing a few more things into it (different chat colors for Hood VS Say chat, and even bold highlighting of key characters.)

I've also tested it on cell-phones (although the 10 second refresh tends to be a bit to much for slower data networks, so a special Cellular version will be made).

For the most part, the system flow-chart would look like this:
URU -> Chatlog -> Parsed through PHP Script to HTML on local machine -> URL Linked to by Emurade's site

Simple, but effective! The only downside is that you ~need~ to have an avie within an area still. And if multiple people were to try to contribute to blanket cover of the project, they would all have to install Apache with a PHP Module, as well as make the needed port forwards and static IP (bleh). Of course there's several other things going on (such as the flip-flop of the files in order to get constent refresh), but that's the jist of it!~

And thanks for the luck! :D I'm more or less just making this as a pet project...if it takes off...neat! If not...well....darn. But on a different note, how did you get output to different programs? That's another pet project I've been thinking of doing.

As far as key technologies used:
Apache
PHP Module for Apache
BAT File for automated backup process of the Chat.0.log file
My ever-handy and indisposable PHP Manual. :oops: