It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Measuring the algae glow
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:24 am 

What happened to the device that supposedly measures the glow from the algae in the lake? The last few times I went to the ferry terminal, it was gone.

Thanks in advance. :D

Aussie Bloke KI# 07745901
aka Little Johnny KI# 07686058

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:14 am 
Obduction Backer

That device was taken down by Victor Laxman at the beginning of last week. He said that the display attached to it did not work correctly and that he has to repair it. See also Laxman in the City 07-30-07.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Wait, that thing actually measured something??

:roll: :roll:

No, seriously folks, due to massive negative response to the lack of any kind of measurement or progress, a DRC member came in and removed "Dalak Laik" because "it wasn't working."

It will return once Cyan comes up with a (better) way to display progress on it.

KI#01165421
Hey! Visit The Jalak Registry, the source for all things Jalak. Yes, it's still open!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:18 am 
Obduction Backer

Poor Cyan. We want a way to feel we're actually making a difference dropping pellets. They give us a dalek-vac. We start dropping pellets, see it doesn't change, and complain. Cyan can't admit that our pellet dropping actually doesn't do anything and the lighting of the cavern will happen on schedule no matter what we do or not (see "sudden spike of recalibrations") and can't admit unlike the GZ recalibration that it's arbitrarily changed.. so they remove it, because it's depressing people when it doesn't change.

Then we complain we want to feel a difference, and we start all over again. :roll:

Ah well. Too bad Cyan didn't go with the other idea.. where the algae-counter would vroom around the city chasing explorers with the hoses shouting "EX-TER-MI-NATE! EX-TER-MI-NATE! GLOW AT 1 PER-CENT! EX-TER-MI-NATE!" :lol:

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:46 am 

Gondar wrote:
Cyan can't admit that our pellet dropping actually doesn't do anything and the lighting of the cavern will happen on schedule no matter what we do or not

They certainly can't "admit" that after Greydragon told us plainly that the brightness of the lake and the progress towards a day-night cycle is directly linked to the sum of all avatars' pellet scores.

Quote:
(see "sudden spike of recalibrations") and can't admit unlike the GZ recalibration that it's arbitrarily changed..

It turned out that there was a group of explorers doing large numbers of CGZM missions in the week before the GZ was turned on, and the GZ progress image was not updating because of a bug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:16 am 

Are we sure that machine wasn't an releck-dalek-vac. Also it was located in the most stagnet area it could be as inbetween the boat docks, I think it needed to be located at the end of a dock where there is at least some trace of water current.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:24 am 

Tesseract wrote:
Gondar wrote:
Cyan can't admit that our pellet dropping actually doesn't do anything and the lighting of the cavern will happen on schedule no matter what we do or not

They certainly can't "admit" that after Greydragon told us plainly that the brightness of the lake and the progress towards a day-night cycle is directly linked to the sum of all avatars' pellet scores.

Quote:
(see "sudden spike of recalibrations") and can't admit unlike the GZ recalibration that it's arbitrarily changed..

It turned out that there was a group of explorers doing large numbers of CGZM missions in the week before the GZ was turned on, and the GZ progress image was not updating because of a bug.

As for the first, that's really a meaningless reassurance because Cyan can just channge the target number. Whether they are tracking the numbers or not does not change the principle opf the objection

As for the second- frankly I doubt that was the cause. The vast majority of people think it happened because they decided it was a good time to happen and with good cause. And even if what you say was true... it still effectively happened when Cyan wanted because, again, they control the target number.

Cyan controls it all, just the way it is. There's no other practical way for them to do it. And aside from anything else they still have to experiment with and test user response to this stuff.

My poor father has been labouring to score a million pellet points, which he will achieve soon. He was doing it in the hope that there was some sort of return you would get for doing that work. But there seems very little prospect now of that being worth anything other than an entry on a neighbourhood high score chart. He's extremely disappointed with the whole thing- because really, do it or don't do it, it doesn't actually achieve anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:13 pm 

Dropping pellets and the scoring is a personal thing. I do it for my own scoring and hopefully the pellets count towards the lake algee, my score is no where near your fathers but since there is realitively few things to do in the game that you can actually pick up and score, I do it for my own satisfaction, I do not go near the bevin pellet scorer as I do not want wiped out to zero again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:19 pm 

The situation does raise some interesting IC questions, though.

Laxman pretty much admitted that the project is going by trial-and-error. The DRC undoubtedly has theories and projections based on their studies and historical researches. But, even the D'ni never had to revive the lake from near dormancy as far as we know. So, all the DRC has is an untested hypothesis, and Laxman said that they don't even know what numbers they are looking for yet.

But, the dockside dalek has never worked. The DRC can measure our pellet production through the KI, but they can't measure the effect this is actually having on the lake! They don't know if our efforts are on track with their projections, fallen behind, gotten ahead, or taken a left turn at Albequerque. We're all blundering ahead blindly, just as if we know what we're doing. But there are always some surprises when a theory is put to the test, and the DRC is letting us proceed without any way of seeing if disaster is in the making in time to stop it. Does that sound to you like a responsible way of conducting an environmental intervention?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
and the GZ progress image was not updating because of a bug.
That's wrong. The image is a manual jpg update. The image didn't update because someone forgot to change it, even during the episode.

Keywords: D'Lanor GZ Until URU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:48 pm 

A "manual" jpg update can be done by a script. It can even be done in response to an automated periodic database query.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:19 pm 

Gondar wrote:
Ah well. Too bad Cyan didn't go with the other idea.. where the algae-counter would vroom around the city chasing explorers with the hoses shouting "EX-TER-MI-NATE! EX-TER-MI-NATE! GLOW AT 1 PER-CENT! EX-TER-MI-NATE!" :lol:

LOL. "Drop you pellets, you have fifteen seconds to comply!"

She said, 'You don't need to understand what that means.'
It's odd—being talked down to someone who abhors pride."
—SteveDenton, journal excerpt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rusty_Russell wrote:
Quote:
and the GZ progress image was not updating because of a bug.
That's wrong. The image is a manual jpg update. The image didn't update because someone forgot to change it, even during the episode.

Keywords: D'Lanor GZ Until URU.

Yes, it is a manual update but it could still be a bug. Those imagers have been stubborn since the Until Uru days. The classroom and GZ imagers could be extremely picky about the size of the uploaded jpegs. And even correctly sized images often refused to display.

Then there was the problem of global propagation. Changing the classroom or GZ images in any instance "should" affect all instances. But I remember that at some point that link got borked on our shard.

Perhaps something like that happened in MOUL. I can imagine that manually updating all GZ instances one by one is not an option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tesseract wrote:
Greydragon told us plainly that the brightness of the lake and the progress towards a day-night cycle is directly linked to the sum of all avatars' pellet scores.
(emphasis mine)

You must be using some unknown permutation of the word "plain" which I was not previously aware of.

I'd say he obfuscatedly told us... so we'd shut up about it (kidding! :lol:).

KI#01165421
Hey! Visit The Jalak Registry, the source for all things Jalak. Yes, it's still open!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

nvr2old wrote:
Quote:
I do not go near the bevin pellet scorer as I do not want wiped out to zero again.

Don't be afraid of the Bevins scorer, nvr2old, they won't greedily suck up your points just by standing next to them. You have to hit a button on your KI to transfer your points. I've been visiting a few of the larger hoods to see who's posted what. So far the highest I've found is an explorer named eejay, (at least it THINK that was the name) who's posted close to 3 million points! In the UO hood, explorer Laura has posted 2.2 million. There may be higher ones out there. I've only stopped by half a dozen hoods. And I'm sure there are others out there with much higher scores who haven't posted yet so they can swoop in and be top dog at some later date.