It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:37 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

UPDATED 25 Feb 2013 (the new posts will begin from the end of the third page and beyond, you will see my update date there.But the first post is only here).
NEW UPDATE (more correct ) The Fissure on (in) the specific Age that appears, is a link back to the place where the descriptive book of that Age was first created

After some research i made at the past, here is what i found, what i believe, and what i want to propose :
In the book of Atrus i read:
Cathrine answer to Atrus question about where the fissure leads.
"If it is my dream correct we could fall into the night and be cradled by stars and shall return to the place where we began"
Kehn wrote the descriptive book of Riven when he was in the d'ni city( URU). (i think the exact point is Kveer but i am not sure about that).
Anna and Cathrine "wrote" (create) Riven"s fissure using the (descriptive?) book of Riven .

All the above i think, are explaining correct what is the fissure (not the starry expanse!).
It is a link back
to the place where the descriptive book (of the Age that fissure appears) was first created.
Thats why the stranger return to the place he (she) belongs (Earth) after Riven.
Thats why the Myst Book landed on Cleft (Earth),
As for relto book (which is created by Yeesha, I believe she wrote the descriptive book of Relto at the cleft or at d'ni at the same spot where Kehn wrote the descriptive book of Riven.
Thats why, after we are opening the Fissure on our Relto and we fell inside we return back to Cleft. (but that needs more thought because of the unlimited reltos)
Furthermore i believe that when we are returning the 4 pillars we are making an unnoticed change ,well prepared by Yeesha (we are writing, in a way , a fissure ,a link back to the cleft ) on our relto book which points towards cleft. [/b]
From here under is the old post which i think now that is outdated :)
"We all know about the existence of the fissure.What we dont know is almost eveything about it.
Well during my (ic) research i was curious about what would have happened if we walked into it ,not in the one on our relto but to a friends relto. 8)
Therefore i found my best buddie in cavern (Amberlee thank you ) and i ask her to do the expirement:)

First i tried to walk into using an avatar which had already finish the 4 primary ages and he got the cleft book from Yeesha.

Afterwards i did the same using and avatar that he hasn't finish the 4 primary ages yet.
(i dont have an avatar that has the 4 ages finished but never walked through the fissure ,if you have any please tell me the results) :wink:

Results: both times i manage to walk into the fissure and the fissure linked me back to my relto. :shock: (of course the fissure remained open)
For the records it wasn't my relto book which link me back because i appear near the imager and not in my hut.
What is happening ? Does the fissure has inteligence :shock: (correction done i am sorry for my english)?
I am waiting for your thoughts (ic) eagerly . :shock: :? :?: :!: :D

PS: i have also posted something http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13674 yesterday night (under the off topic forum named "the power of language" for which i have the hope that you will spend some of your time to read it (if you want) and to write any comments that possible have. I wil appreciated it very much :D

Shorah friends
Dimitrios

Last edited by Dimitrios on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:15 am 

You experienced what many call fissure diving. The only way to make it to the Cleft is if you are the only one in your Relto taking the plunge. Should more than one person be there, all you end up doing is returning to your Relto via panic link.

This was always grounds for an impromptu Relto party almost anytime. Invite all your friends in to sit near or on the fissure when you have just one more task to finish to open the fissure. Then go to first person, jump, and watch everyone tumble down until they link out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:54 am 

As for IC explination......

I think if you listen to the speech that Atrus gives at the end of Riven, you'll find your answer there. He fully expected the fissure to take the Stranger home, as that is where he belonged.

If you're leaping into someone else's fissure on their Relto, it seems that the fissure is placing you back where you belong, your own Relto.

I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up in the Cleft though. But it would be YOUR Cleft, not your friend's.

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:26 am 

andylegate wrote:
I think if you listen to the speech that Atrus gives at the end of Riven, you'll find your answer there. He fully expected the fissure to take the Stranger home, as that is where he belonged.

Atrus expected that because he himself leapt into that self-same fissure many years previously, linking to Myst as he did so. His Myst book continued to fall, until it finally landed where The Stranger happened to find it some 20 years later. (This is depicted in the intro sequence of Myst).

If you haven't already done so, read the Book of Atrus - it's well worth a read, and covers the events leading up to this moment - as well as a beautifully poetic description of a moment in the desert from which Atrus *should* have known fullwell that the Star Fissure would provide safe passage to The Cleft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Interesting stuff, this Fissure business....

<nitpick>The Stranger found the Myst book over 30 years after Atrus dropped it in the Fissure. 33 if I recall correctly....</nitpick>

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:47 pm 

The Star Fissure

What is it? Is it like the space between the branches which
hold the leaves (ages) on the Tree of Possibility? OR flipside;
The Innerspace inside the 'trunk' of the Tree of Possibility?

Why is it here? and in the location it is in, right over D'ni.?

Who first discovered and knoticed it?

How long has it been round?

Where did it orignate from?

When will we find out the true canon about the StarFissure?

URU - KI - Atrus 03668735, Katran 00982487,
URUb - KI - 00356281

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:20 am 
Obduction Backer

The D'ni Desk reference is a good place to find info like that:
http://www.dnidesk.com/pagef.html
Quote:
Fissure, The
Our first experience with the Fissure is in Myst, when we use the Myst Linking Book which fell through the Fissure to Earth. After we complete our tasks in Riven, we fall through the Fissure ourselves, returning to Earth. In Uru the Fissure opens in our Relto after we have returned all the Bahro Pillars we collected, and it leads us once again to Earth.

The exact nature of the Fissure is unknown to us, but our experience shows that it forms a life-supporting bridge between Ages. For more information please see Richard Watson's letter about the Fissure. Letter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:39 am 
Obduction Backer

I would like to share a very important discovery i found with you .
I follow the advise of Robinsonb5 and reread the Book of Atrus and indeed i found something that i beleive is of great importance.
"If it is my dream correct we could fall into the night and be cradled by stars and shall return to the place where we began"
Kehn wrote the descriptive book of Riven when he was in the d'ni city( URU). (i think the exact point is Kveer but i am not sure about that).
Anna and Cathrine "wrote" (create) Riven"s fissure using a book of Riven .

All the above are explaining what is the fissure. :D
It is a link back to the place where the descriptive book was first created. :shock: :roll: (in our case relto book created by Yeesha at the cleft or at d'ni at the same spot where Kehn wrote the descriptive book of Riven thats why we are landing near some remains of Riven)
Furthermore i believe that when we are returning the 4 pillars we are making an unnoticed change ,well prepared by Yeesha (we are writing, in a way , a fissure ,a link back to the cleft ) on our relto book which points towards cleft.

After that the question is again " why when we fall into the fissure on a friends relto we dont link back to the cleft and we link back to our relto instead?"
Which again made me thinking :does the fissure has inteligence? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:31 am 

Quote:

Well spotted - Catherine knew exactly what the fissure was, since she and Anna had written it into Riven themselves, to provide an escape route. She couldn't risk telling him explicity what it was and that it was safe to enter, in case it was overheard - so she told him far more subtly.

The Star Fissure was carefully designed to be something that would scare Gehn too much for him to risk jumping into it, but at the same time to be a comforting, reassuring image to Atrus - an echo of something he saw long ago, so he'd recognise it as an escape route.

Here are some words from the Book of Atrus:
“Below him, far below, it seemed - so far that it was almost as if he had been inverted and now hung out over space - lay the star-dusted sky. For a moment the illusion was perfect, so perfect that, had he let go of the rung, he was certain that he would have fallen forever.”

While these words describe the Star Fissure rather well, they actually apply to a moment from Atrus's childhood, shortly after a rare rainstorm in the desert. The bottom of the cleft was flooded, and that night Atrus looked down into it and saw it as a jagged fissure full of stars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:48 am 
Obduction Backer

That was so poetic Robinsonb5!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

ahhh those days

Greece Ki # 117119

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

andylegate wrote:
If you're leaping into someone else's fissure on their Relto, it seems that the fissure is placing you back where you belong, your own Relto.

I think the fissure always links to the Cleft. The fact that you link to your own Relto when you fall in someone else's fissure is, I think, because the game automatically makes the decision for you that you want to panic link. So you are OOCly forced to ICly voluntarily panic link to your own Relto before the fissure links you. Does that make sense? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is what i believe but i think that i agree with the panic link thing for that case(friends relto).And btw i like the OCCly versus ICly :D
fijidreamer wrote:
I would like to share a very important discovery i found with you .
I follow the advise of Robinsonb5 and reread the Book of Atrus and indeed i found something that i beleive is of great importance.
Anna and Cathrine "wrote" (create) Riven"s fissure using a book of Riven .

All the above are explaining what is the fissure. :D
It is a link back to the place where the descriptive book was first created. :shock: :roll: (in our case relto book created by Yeesha at the cleft or at d'ni at the same spot where Kehn wrote the descriptive book of Riven thats why we are landing near some remains of Riven)
Furthermore i believe that when we are returning the 4 pillars we are making an unnoticed change ,well prepared by Yeesha (we are writing, in a way , a fissure ,a link back to the cleft ) on our relto book which points towards cleft.

After that the question is again " why when we fall into the fissure on a friends relto we dont link back to the cleft and we link back to our relto instead?"
Which again made me thinking :does the fissure has inteligence? :shock:

Greece Ki # 117119

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:33 am 

The Star Fissure is mysterious indeed. I've done a little study on my own and found that it may be the reason Linking Books can exist. The Bahro must have been able to see that some words in a sequence in a book created a small Star Fissure, whether it was seeable or not to anyone else. They created their Bahro Stones as a small, yet effective and quick way to go to other worlds. Then the D'ni found out how to do the same, and created Linking Books. From there things are history, but I believe that all Linking Books use the fissure to travel. They may just be calling a Star Fissure to engulf you, then you go to that other land. Touching the picture on the book may tell some God-like force that the Star Fissure is needed, and you need to be at the place the book depicts.

This is all speculation, but good speculation, no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:44 am 
Obduction Backer

Wow....And all this time I thought it was Atrus that wanted the key (book..link....) to the Fissure....I'm still looking for the reference to the Bahro. Be back later after I get back from Rime.....

Sorry.....I'm still working on capturing Gehn.... :twisted: