It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:39 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Only slightly confused
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:07 am 

From an official story/timeline perspective, does Myst Online Uru live replace Uru Complete Chronicles? And since (it seems to me) that Myst V End of Ages takes place after Uru CC (It was my impression that the character you played in Myst V was the character you played in Uru) does that mean Myst V "didn't happen",and that perhaps the events from Myst V will be incorporated into Myst Online Uru Live?

Just wondering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:14 am 

MOUL begins after Uru CC, and does not replace it. It has been confirmed that Dr. Watson was the person whose adventures you were re-creating in Myst V, which began in the fall of 2005. Some think that the "scream" of last Dec 19 was the day that the Tablet was returned, but I do not subscribe to this theory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:49 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Especially considering the IC game, released well in advance of The Scream, covered events of 2005. The return of the Tablet was already history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:55 am 

MOUL picks up where D'mala in UU ended. and UU picked up right after Phil's "death"

Uru Prime and To D'ni are canon. TPOTS is not.

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:41 pm 

Some elements of To D'ni and TPotS seem to be canon (Sharper's 2004 journal, Yeesha claiming to be the grower, etc.) but others cannot be (activation of the great zero, pellet mechanism in Er'cana, etc.). The offline expansions to Uru seem to have similar status to Myst V: the places and events they depict seem to be trustworthy for the most part, but be prepared to find differences to how they "actually" are.

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:35 am 

It took me a while to figure out which Myst games were "real" and which Myst games were "imaginary". Does that mean Real Myst is not "real" Myst?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:07 am 

All of the games are canon.

Myst as depicted in Myst and realMyst is supposedly not the "true" Myst, because the real Myst island was a lot bigger. Due to limitations of software and time, only the points of interest were included in the game. However, we've been told that we're not going to see a fancier, larger Myst island anytime in the near future. Most people are happy theorizing that the living quarters and such were underground somewhere, perhaps accessible via the library's elevator, or some other hidden entrance (like the tunnel used for accessing Rime).

So, chronologically:

Re-creations based on Catherine's Journals:

-Book of Ti'ana
-Book of Atrus
-Myst/realMyst
-Riven: The Sequel to Myst
-Book of D'ni
-Myst III: Exile
-Myst IV: Revelation

Actual Events:

-Uru: Ages Beyond Myst (and the events of Prologue)
-Uru expansion 1: To D'ni
-Uru expansion 2: Path of the Shell (some parts, at least)

[spoiler]Re-creation based on the journey of Dr. Watson[/spoiler]
-Myst V: End of Ages

Actual Events:
-untíl Uru: D'mala shard
-Uru Live: Myst Online

Eyen waxen
3: 7)$]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:18 am 
Obduction Backer

We've all assumed that events in MOUL replaces similar and mutually exclusive events taken from CC, and we now know that Myst V is the account of Dr. Watson, but clearly single-player CC cannot be Watson's story (for many reasons), and yet Myst V is clearly meant to sequelentially take place immediately after POTS.

On top of that, assuming single player Uru entire is not canon (and that no game called Uru exists in the MOUL fictional world), we still don't know how much of the events depicted in Myst V is known to us IC. This summer, Nick White (I think it was, someone correct me) mentioned Myst V while in the cavern, and yet we only recently learned of the actual story of Myst V in the few most recent episodes of MOUL.

If a fictional version of Myst V does exist IC, then where did the story come from, since it was such a big revelation when we learned about the story and its source in MOUL?

And just when we thought we had one thing figured out... what makes it even more complicated is that during the last episode, when the DRC released Ahnonay, they noted in their KI Mail that it would be (paraphrasing) "a little different from the last time we saw it."

The last time we saw it?? Like in CC??

I suppose that whatever else this means for the unwieldy nightmare that is Myst canon (Trekkies, eat your hearts out), there's one thing we know for sure... that even from an IC perspective Ahnonay was a rehash of a previously released age!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

KI#01165421
Hey! Visit The Jalak Registry, the source for all things Jalak. Yes, it's still open!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:36 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
"Dreams are as portals: flat visions of mystic places; fragments bound below my surface. But I can Write Dreams. They flow from me, inscribed, yet now unbound. I touch them.... and they are real. And they are real."

pssst Catherine said that not Yeesha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:17 pm 

Tweek wrote:
pssst Catherine said that not Yeesha.

Same voice actress. I think it fits better as something Yeesha'd say, anyhow. (:

Eyen waxen
3: 7)$]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

where was "watson is the stranger in Myst V" been canonized (I know what he said about the tablet, but thats just the tablet not the whole journey)

I know I speculated that exact thing before on URU Radio and other places but who said "this is the case"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:04 am 

Watson said himself during Deception that he had given the Bahro the tablet. and had subsequently freed them. I don't know if he referred to the game at all, but I think we can assume that's Cyan's way of at least making the events of Myst V canonical.

I don't remember which chatlog, but it should be on UO somewhere.

Old MOUL KI: 13986530
MOULa KI: 02058741

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:38 pm 

Myst V is of course a fictionalised and game-ified version of what Watson "really" did. Certainly he only confirmed that he was the one who gave the Bahro the Tablet, but it seems a fair inference that he also had to do some sort of journey/quest type thing to get the tablet in the first place. It's always possible that that could turn out to be incorrect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:22 pm 

But why would IC Cyan release a Myst V if it is a sequel to Uru which the IC Cyan never released?

This was so much simpler when I was the hero of Myst and Riven. My ego misses those days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:17 am 

Cyan was under the impression that Uru Live was dead and gone.. So they finished up the URU story as quickly as they could and released it as Myst V (Which explains why V is DRASTICALLY different from every other Myst game)

But Gametap gave Cyan the ability to resurrect Uru Live so Cyan said a collective "Oh sh*t" and had to do some quick thinking to give a reason why M5 exists in the canon.

Beyond that they were now completely out of content for Uru Live so they rushed out a bunch of quick Ages (Minkata and the Pods + Jalak) and re-released all the old Ages geared for multi-player as was the original intention most obvious in the pellet drop puzzle)

The whole of Season one, if Cyan is as good a developer as we give them credit for, would be to stall for time to wow everyone with a brand new continuation of Myst V for season 2.

You have to remember, there was originally no intention to continue beyond the finale at Releeshahn.

Fear is the mind-killer

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next