It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

So this is the game that is all about free running across rooftops in a realistic way. I am sure that of the 200 or so regular readers of these forums maybe 4 of you would see yourself playing as a killer so this thread is for you four. The game takes place in 3 cities and 3 other locations. Two cities you may have heard of before. Jerusalem and Damascus.

Read that again. You get to completely explore Jerusalem and Damascus during the Crusades. Climbing on rooftops, riding horses and walking in bustling streets. Play this game and forever be spoiled as far as avatar control, HUD and menu screens because this game does all 3 perfectly. Along with a great setting this game has a great story, interesting and relatable characters and throwing knives. Ok. Ok. Also since everything in this game is sort of ancient I kept on hallucinating URU journey cloths around every corner. What else? Also there are epileptics, drunks, priest, Crusaders beggars in the streets, crowded.

Also you can climb almost to the top of the Dome Of The Rock. If you know what that is you should at least rent this game or visit a friend who has it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:25 pm 

And Acre. That's a pretty famous city too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:01 pm 

My son has this game. The graphics and running are cool, as they should be in 2007, but it is still just another fighting game. It is, to me, a huge letdown when you have to stop a fantastic-looking game to fight--or die. Seems like a waste. Not for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:10 am 
Obduction Backer

Well, while I did enjoy the game tremendously for a split second I wondered what it would have been like if it had Cyan designed giant architectural puzzles. But then I let go of that thought because down that path lies madness. Madness and folly. The kind of folly that have to have much courage in, the kind of folly that if you do halfway is folly but if you do all the way with strength might turn out to be salvation.

But anyway. The city scapes are nothing less then beautiful. The gameplay mechanic is very well done and I imagine that the sequel is already in the plans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:23 pm 

Well, i've just gone and got this, and i'm loving it so far! I don't think it's a fight or die game at all, plenty of opportunities to walk quietly, sit and listen, hide, climb, plan. Maybe it's just the way your grandson plays it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:43 am 

im waiting until it comes out on pc but it looks great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:43 am 

In case you beleive that Uru Live is the only game with bugs, check this site.

Assassin's Creed Community Help and Advice
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/4721051016

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:49 pm 

Its an ok game I find it to be very repetitive in nature and from the hype and after listening to the rep from ubi was expecting something more/different. Oh well! it looks pretty (which I think it what a lot of people get sucked in by)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

It's definitely repetitive around the middle. But so is Mario Brothers, you know, I for my part don't mind. But as a heads up you don't have to do all the side missions. As soon as the game tells you "INvestigation Complete" you can go to the Assassin's Bureau and start the final task for each head assassination. It doesn't unlock anything to do all the tasks. So that might help. But I cant complain about having to assassinate over and over again perfecting my skills and tactics. And yes it is beautiful. Try climbing the cathedral in Acre. Wow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:45 pm 

Graizur wrote:
It's definitely repetitive around the middle. But so is Mario Brothers, you know, I for my part don't mind. But as a heads up you don't have to do all the side missions. As soon as the game tells you "INvestigation Complete" you can go to the Assassin's Bureau and start the final task for each head assassination. It doesn't unlock anything to do all the tasks. So that might help. But I cant complain about having to assassinate over and over again perfecting my skills and tactics. And yes it is beautiful. Try climbing the cathedral in Acre. Wow.

uh, yeah I know that I am more then halfway through the game (would be done long time ago but for master degree work) and that is also kind of my point. All you really do in the game is run, kill your target and run away again. over and over again. and climbing well I have issue with that in and of itself and its lazy the way they did that. you don't really participate in the actual climbing you just push up on the stick and he does it. I don't have to try and make a ledge, jump for it or pick me route etc... like you would in say Tomb Raider.

I am not saying the game is bad and I will finish it, most likely. I just find it incredibly easy and was looking for more variance game play wise. I do like the fluid nature of the movements though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:02 am 

I can't bear anymore to draw blood in games, stab people in the back, hear them moan, etc. Guess I'm officially old...although, from Atari until now, I've done my quota of slaying. That said, the game is stunning and I like to watch my son play, pick pockets, climb to the heights, and run and repel, etc. It is a visually breathtaking effort.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Romer Openfield wrote:
I can't bear anymore to draw blood in games, stab people in the back, hear them moan, etc. Guess I'm officially old...although, from Atari until now, I've done my quota of slaying. That said, the game is stunning and I like to watch my son play, pick pockets, climb to the heights, and run and repel, etc. It is a visually breathtaking effort.

I finally got there myself. Word.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:08 am 

Graizur wrote:
But I cant complain about having to assassinate over and over again perfecting my skills and tactics. And yes it is beautiful. Try climbing the cathedral in Acre. Wow.

Sort of like Skyrim I guess. I was originally drawn into that game because of the spectacular scenery and beauty of the mountains, storms, and forests.

I regret to say that it took me a few weeks of endless slaughter, theft, killing, necromancy, and more slaughter to realize that the game wasn't beautiful. It only looked like it was.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:38 am 
Obduction Backer

Not sure how much AssCreed has in common with Myst, aside from the obvious focus on setting. Like pretty much all of Ubisoft's stuff lately, AssCreed is a good idea with poor execution. I admit I had fun exploring Renaissance Italy in II, but it wore real thin real fast. I also admired how you could go around collecting virtual recreations of real world Renaissance art for your villa.

Spastic, Unresponsive Controls
Broken "Stealth"
Wonky Running and Jumping
Clunky Combat
and something that tries to pass for a "story" putting me to sleep.

And the series has been beaten to death like a lame mule by now since Ubisoft keeps dumping out roughly 2.5 new AssCreed games a month across multiple platforms.

It's not a "Tourist-y" game like Myst/URU, since the sightseeing is routinely interrupted by really bad gameplay that a lot of Myst fans would find off-putting in the first place.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

See I never had an issue with violence in fantasy games. Its just that, fantasy, like an old Renaissance painting of a huge battle. I love Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind because I love the lore and immersing myself in the rich universe of Tamriel. It kind of makes sense from an IC way that violence is a necessary evil in that universe due to all the dangers lurking about. Its also not like the violence takes away from the other great parts of the game like the lore, story, art direction, books, etc...

In some ways I wish there was a D'ni themed RPG just without levels (oh god how I hate levels). Maybe if it was entirely skill-based. I'd love to explore the city in its prime during the Fall or during the the reign of Ahlsendar or the the D'ni renaissance and immerse myself in all the politics and intrigue, relyimah and all. Carry around a D'ni sword or Gehn's gun and engage in great battles or stealthy assasinations. The D'ni universe has so much potential from a lore standpoint for different styles of gameplay, especially when it comes to telling stories.