It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:14 pm

All times are UTC

What should be the reward for exploring Genesis?
A rollercoaster ride 40%  40%  [ 10 ]
An article of clothing (shirt, cap, shoes) 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
A place or room to hang out in 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
A wonderful view 16%  16%  [ 4 ]
Collectables (like pellets or pokemon - something to keep score) 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Your name on a wall, or in a journal 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
A link to a secret website 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
*WAIT* I have a better idea! 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 25
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:53 am 

Greetings and Shorah, all!

It's that time again!
Pole-danci-...ahem. POLL time!

Today we discuss the question about rewards in the age - as it seems apparent that there will be hidden puzzles in the Age of Genesis, we must try and find out a reward. In the previous topics we have had some suggestions, but it still, as ever, up to YOU, the people of Uru.
So, there are basic areas to explore, there is a private adventure to explore, and there is a group adventure to explore. Each would be fraught with danger, with excitement, and with puzzles...but why would one want to go through all that? What is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?
Of course, the journey is the true prize, the fun and excitement of playing the game, but there should always be something at the end to tell people that they have won.
The options are above, and pretty self-explanatory. If you have any ideas, questions, suggestions, comments or complaints, please post them here.

Shevek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:14 am 

The roller coaster would be my first choice.

It was one of my suggestion a long time ago
(re: a sponsored fun age :P )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm going with the view. Some sort of clothing collectible would be nice, but I like those better when they are randomly placed throughout the age (i.e. not at the end as a reward).

I do have to say some sort of "your name here" list of every explorer to reach the end would be nice, but I think keeping that list up to date would be tedious and not something we would want to keep doing indefinitely. The reason I don't support this reward option is that at whatever point it is decided not to continue updating the list, all other players from that point forward will be left out. The only exception to my argument is if the system could be automated somehow (which I don't imagine would be easy to do).

I said it in another post, but I'll say it again here: I believe the reward (for both exploration paths) should be a clothing item. However, since I don't think Cyan will have the system in place for UCC clothes for some time, a temporary reward should be a stunning view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:44 am 

For many of the puzzles in Uru we only got another rock in the pile in Relto...

So any of these would be great. AW's rollar coaster vote, I'll second.

Clothing is sort of an on the way thing, not a final reward. I think adrianbrooks is right. However a name list might not be that big a problem. Each Bevin had a list of the last 20 or so visitors...

Relto features are also a sort of secondary quest...

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:07 am 

A rollercoaster sounds like a lot of fun but likely won't be easy for fans to make, and even if we do make one, it may be tricky fitting it into the world in an aesthetically pleasing way. Cyan did some rides though, so it's pretty clear that it's possible to do one in the Uru engine. If we can figure out how to make an UruCoaster, and we blend it into the world so that it adds to, not detracts from, the atmosphere of the place, then I'm all for it, and really excited about it.

I say make a rollercoaster if you can, and if not, give us a stunning view. I noticed you were working with concept art of a tower - maybe access to the top of that tower could be the reward. Walking around on the roof, looking down at the gardens and buildings and such surrounding the tower...

Maybe the entrance to the ride would be at the top of the tower too. If you want a cleanly lined iconic-looking tower visually unmarred by coaster stuff, you could put the station on the roof and have the ride plunge into the tower itself and spiral down inside it some distance before shooting out and weaving around through the rest of the age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:55 am 

Rewards are ok if they add to the story or fit in the story and age, but a reward just for reward sake is something that I can't get my head around. This is a good one. Do we need a reward? Hanging out and having fun, solving things as a group and sitting there reflecting on things is my reward. Yes it was nice to collect different clothing and so on. The doughnuts were ok but what were there for? To be honest it was taking part as a group in Delin and Tsogal that was more reward than getting the doughnuts. So I suppose I am not the norm. But we are catering for the masses so I must concede the fact that quite a few people need or would like a big reward.

I solved a Genesis puzzles and all I got was this lousy tee-shirt. :D
A rollercoaster brings visions of a theme park, sorry but that is me. Even though I must admit it sounds like a blast. - How about a cross between a rollercoaster and a chilled out ride like what is in Er’cana all way around the upper edge of the age. We could then move around looking at the view, can we have sea creatures in the distance to look at. You know like whale watching.

Szark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:07 am 

Greetings and Shorah, all!

Well, thank you for the input we have so far.
I have to agree with a few points: The reward is the journey, the joy of exploration, the fun of working with your friends, or simply hanging out with them in a nice setting.
The reward, as is, is quite simply a marker of "this far, and no further." Anything short of a "congratulations" screen, really.
If people are not told that they are finished they will spend hours looking around the last area of the map for the next clue!
As for making the "roller-coaster" blend in, I feel that that is key - to dangle it in front of an explorer's nose, making it fully visible, would be unfair. However, blending it into the background, hiding it behind rock walls or outcrops, would be good - so you could only see it if you knew where to look.

As for articles of clothing, I agree with Nalates - I personally feel that they are articles to be found on the way or in the main area - those that enjoyed the Age can happily wear the shirts or hats and advertise the Age at the same time.

Pretty views, well, I hope to pack this age with some nice views and then some spectacular views - I like Szark's idea of having a look out to the sea...you spend most of the age in a canyon of sort to, at the end, discover that it is in fact an island - you get a fleeting glimpse of whales and porpoises, sea gulls, cliffs and beaches, and then the rollercoaster moves on - leaving the explorer hungry for more: The Ultimate Tease! :P

Keep the ideas coming in guys!

Shevek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:46 am 

I cannot guess how far you are ready to go but here is a suggestion.

A beach with a tent where you could get a choice of bathing suits
plus a boardwalk leading to a sailboat for a long ride(slow ride) around
the island. The captain would be a permanent animation and would be
the only one in charge to prevent bad use of the boat.

On the way back, you would need to "walk the plank" and swim back
to the beach. (with a few sharks swimming around :twisted: )

Night times with a good moonlight and a few beach fires would also be nice
for some of the dancing parties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:23 am 

I'll go with the roller coaster. It was the real eye opener that stunned me in Riven, still my favorite episode in the series.

HtB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:04 am 

The ROLLERCOASTER RIDE. I said this in a different topic, but I always did like the ride you get in a ball in the age of Amateria. :D