It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:05 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Ultimate Aims
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:45 pm 

Something amongst many things I think we should keep in mind with the new ressurection:

What is our ultimate aim?

It may vary with people but I think what it should be is - for this MystOnline to provide enough interest to establish Cyan and Uru in the gaming world again and get them enough revenue to make new content for the game.

The way I see it at the moment, can go one of two ways:
- We can return to an old UU like state where the guilds take up a position of power and do not fairly fulfill their role in the community and we have a problem where people don't want to be a part of this conglomeration and divides are made.
- Or we can have the guilds and Cyan make the code accessible to anyone who is interested in running a server or anyone who is interested in development. We can have an Uru where the community are welcomed and new members are made. We can have an Uru where by our intervention - be it servers inside or outside the server 'cluster' - people want to play it because of whats on display.

The latter being a best case scenario, but my point being if we do this right, we can provide Cyan with the interest in the gaming needed to get Uru noticed by the masses and not being a 2 times failure. The road to that is long and steep, but this community can accomplish great things. Let's aim to make Uru whole. We've come this far already and I have no doubt we can pull it off. :)

TG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:50 pm 

Oooh, now this is one thread I want to keep an eye on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Good topic TG.
Thanks for opening this.

Personal my choice is the second option.
This community is great and I think it must be possible to make something good from it. And who knows, when things go better at Cyan, some contribution from Cyan still might be a possibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:31 pm 

That's what I was thinking too. Thinking back to the MORE roadmap, the very last, 'blue sky' thing on the list was to have Cyan adding content for us again.

I too prefer to think of the second option on the list because I think that if we know what went wrong in the past and highligh that then we can make this great for everyone. ;)

TG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:03 pm 

I believe it will be the second option too. Nothing else guarantees longevity of the game and cohesion for us all as fans. There will be shakedowns as things go along, but ultimately those will be for the best - a process of selecting and encouraging the methods that work for everyone.

As long as we all remember how long and hard we have all believed in for and fought for Uru, we'll get it right.

I beleive that right down to my toes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:21 pm 

But we really need is to not become fractured. If the needs are to have one main "server set" controlled by the "Guild of Servers" that would be great. I wonder if the Maintainers could take that one into their hands?

I would really hate to see all these different shards across the world pop up and we are all divided. It defeats the original ideal of URU and defeats the community as a whole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:55 pm 

Option 2, surely! :D

I already see people planning (e.g.: http://www.guildofwriters.com/phpbb/vie ... =49&t=2548). In order to accomplish Option #2 we really have to work together, as new never did.
We have to set together the Shards; don't expect everyone to come to your shard just because is out there. Our first goal should be to create the Main Uru Shard, the most used.
Then other separate servers could be created, such as one for testing the new Ages where GoW and GoMa work together.

My opinions on this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:06 pm 

I just hope this one shard of yours will not be with an extrem theme (reboot or sandbox). Refreshes are fine, but I don't like being extrem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:48 pm 

Leonardo wrote:
Option 2, surely! :D

I already see people planning (e.g.: http://www.guildofwriters.com/phpbb/vie ... =49&t=2548). In order to accomplish Option #2 we really have to work together, as new never did. ...

BAD has helpfully copied Trylon's GoW post (together with his own views) over to this forum so that everyone can take part in the debate: http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16672

Post subject: Re: Ultimate Aims
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:51 pm 

I like free. Cyan will of course want to be able to point to this as their original creation; whatever, it's an amazing gift and I won't second-guess it. Mainly I share the feeling about the game needing to feel like it was content controlled by Cyan as much as possible - Cyan will do what it can with regards to its business plan and the franchise without my meddling, and the main goal is to keep things from being fractured. The mere existence of Uru and the good word of mouth will hopefully be a boon for Cyan; I don't know what else can (or should) be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:30 pm 

Well, fracturing is obviously not the way to go, as that would be bad for everyone.

The other wonderful thing about this MystOnline as it is now is that we have a choice. We can join in with this big server cluster and the IC in that (which would keep the community together as a whole) or if people don't want to join in with that they can go off on their own and setup their own shards. This way people always have an option for online Uru which makes this great because we've never seen anything like this before.

Out of the chaos is coming structure. ;)

TG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:03 pm 

If Cyan uses an open source license like the GPL, then that would force option 2. The GPL requires you to make the source available to anybody who you give the binaries to, and the latest version (GPLv3) would allow Cyan to require people to make the source available for their servers, too.

The real question is whether the community will be able to agree on one "official" place to get the source. We could see the code base get forked, with several different groups developing their own versions. This might be okay to some extent, as long as the different versions can still interact (i.e. you can use a client from developer A to connect to developer B's server). In some cases, a fork might actually be preferable. For example, lots of people will want to make a native client for Mac and Linux. This will require some major changes (DirectX to OpenGL) that should probably be developed independently from the Windows version.

Regardless of how much the code gets forked, the key to success for Uru as an open source project is to make sure that the data formats and network protocols are standardized, so that we can maintain compatibility. Cyan should have the authority and standing in the community to be able to endorse any such standards.

I'm not at all worried about having lots of different servers to play on (is it still appropriate to call them shards?). Obviously, people developing their own ages will want to run their own private servers for limited testing before making them publicly available. Perhaps we'll see the Guild of Writers running a server for alpha-quality ages, and the Guild of Maintainers hosting beta and release quality ages. We might also see the Aussies set up their own servers for lag-free gaming. I'll probably also run my own server, with instancing of everything other than Relto disabled, so that the game will feel more real. I don't think any of these things would be bad for the community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Agreed - my hope is for compatiblity, that I can go to any server/shard and run Uru with my client, without much in the way of problems. I won't run one version for one place, another for another place - I just won't do it. I also think it's a good idea for anyone to be able to run a shard, do an age, make a world.

I figure that the situation might be a little unstructured, sometimes, but that's OK. I suspect that people will naturally gravitate to a smallish number of shards, but there will be a bunch of other shards out there, for people to play on.

TomahnaGuy, I don't think we should worry about making an Uru that will be a potential money maker. I think that if there are people are in Uru, enjoying themselves, and people are making ages - that's the important thing. If Uru gets the attention of someone, fine, but that's not what's important. The important thing is to be able to get back into the cavern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:15 pm 

mszv wrote:
TomahnaGuy, I don't think we should worry about making an Uru that will be a potential money maker. I think that if there are people are in Uru, enjoying themselves, and people are making ages - that's the important thing. If Uru gets the attention of someone, fine, but that's not what's important. The important thing is to be able to get back into the cavern.

Is it?

The way I always understood it was that Uru needed to be a money making thing in order for Cyan to be properly funded to provide us with new content. Having the cavern and being in Uru is a result of that. A result, albeit that has half been achieved, but we're not there yet. Our ultimate aim with MystOnline should still be to make Uru a profitable entity for Cyan and by effect us, by the means which we've now been given.

TG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

crawl -> walk -> run -> fly ... people will be happiest at different stages.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next