It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:10 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: A few questions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:43 pm 

I'm writing a Myst fanfiction based on all the myst games i've played (Myst Masterpiece Edition, Riven, Exile, and Uru), and I need a bit of help on the background information of a lot of the Ages.

What I'm Stuck On (Need it before I start writing the character in any ages I've never seen):
~Can I get the names of every age that ever existed (All names given to that age, even ones people from that age called it or the names that people from other ages called it), separated by game?
~Where can I find background info for every age that ever existed in any Myst game? (I'm good on the Uru part of the deal, I've found a site or two that explains everything, if not in full detail)
~Where can I find info on the peoples and wildlife that lived in each age?
~How would I play out the character going to a currently populated non-dying age?
~What were the beliefs of the peoples living in each age besides humans on Earth?
~Is creating a new species going out of bounds for a fanfiction that is not really deviating from most of the stories?

This is all I need, thanks in advance. If anyone wants a link to the story once it's up, i'll send it to you.
Yeah, I come here in search of answers instead of googling, if you're wondering. Already tried google, didn't really get much of a result except for Uru. :?

Post subject: Re: A few questions
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:20 am 
Obduction Backer

Inunah wrote:
I'm writing a Myst fanfiction based on all the myst games i've played (Myst Masterpiece Edition, Riven, Exile, and Uru), and I need a bit of help on the background information of a lot of the Ages.

What I'm Stuck On (Need it before I start writing the character in any ages I've never seen):
~Can I get the names of every age that ever existed (All names given to that age, even ones people from that age called it or the names that people from other ages called it), separated by game?
~Where can I find background info for every age that ever existed in any Myst game? (I'm good on the Uru part of the deal, I've found a site or two that explains everything, if not in full detail)
~How would I play out the character going to a currently populated non-dying age?
~What were the beliefs of the peoples living in each age besides humans on Earth?
~Is creating a new species going out of bounds for a fanfiction that is not really deviating from most of the stories?

This is all I need, thanks in advance. If anyone wants a link to the story once it's up, i'll send it to you.
Yeah, I come here in search of answers instead of googling, if you're wondering. Already tried google, didn't really get much of a result except for Uru. :?

Most of what you want can be found at the DPWR site (D'ni Pedia Writer's Ring).

http://www.dpwr.net/

Click on Archive and then do a search for whatever you want to know.

As for creating a new species, go for it. The main concept of the Art of writing ages is that there are infinite possibilities to link to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:21 am 

Thanks! Even though I had searched for who knows how long, I had never found that site. :?

EDIT: That link leads to yet another forum i'll have to join. I don't feel like joining it.... I mean, it doesn't help me at all, all I can find are pictures of the games and fanfictions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Inunah wrote:
Thanks! Even though I had searched for who knows how long, I had never found that site. :?

EDIT: That link leads to yet another forum i'll have to join. I don't feel like joining it.... I mean, it doesn't help me at all, all I can find are pictures of the games and fanfictions.

Like I said, do a search in the archive, not the forums. You do not have to join. I know for a fact there is an article on all ages from all books and games. There are articles on nearly everything D"ni. You have to look through and search.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:31 am 

Well, that's another problem. I can't even get to the search. I click on the stuff and it never loads. All I can get to is Library and Gallery, and I only got to the home page when I first clicked the link to it. :?

Besides, i'm not really looking for anything too specific, just information that might prove useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:39 am 
Obduction Backer

Inunah wrote:
Well, that's another problem. I can't even get to the search. I click on the stuff and it never loads. All I can get to is Library and Gallery, and I only got to the home page when I first clicked the link to it. :?

Hmmm...now that you mention it, it was a little slow loading for me as well, but it's all there.

Inunah wrote:
Besides, i'm not really looking for anything too specific, just information that might prove useful.

This stuff sounded specific to me:
Inunah wrote:
Can I get the names of every age that ever existed (All names given to that age, even ones people from that age called it or the names that people from other ages called it), separated by game?

All of those topics have articles at DWPR. It's a shame it isn't loading for you. Simple searches in the archive can find all of that information and more. Regardless, best of luck with your fanfic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:38 am 

Actually, I didn't know where the search was. I found the lo-fi version site link though and I did eventually find the search.

By specific information I mean like, not for a certain age or anything, because I mostly want just info for existing ages for a comparison to if I do create a new age specifically for my fanfiction.

A little weird thing though. Now that i've switched computers the site loads as quick as this one.... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:31 am 

UPDATES: Um... The site has no articles on Tomahna! It mentions Tomahna within a few, but beyond that there isn't really any article that describes the age at all! I'm directly involving Tomahna within my fanfiction, but I need an article on it because all of this age that i've seen is just from what is available to see in Exile because I've never played anything beyond that save for Uru and a demo of Myst V.

So.. If anyone can find a site with a substancial amount of info on Tomahna that'll be great.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. It seems I needed a capitol T to search for it correctly. And the fact that it wasn't in the ages category when I searched manually didn't help. >_<

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:26 pm 

Inunah wrote:
EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. It seems I needed a capitol T to search for it correctly. And the fact that it wasn't in the ages category when I searched manually didn't help. >_<

Well..Tomahna isn't really an Age, Tomahna it's just the area in the New Mexico desert (it is on Earth/D'ni) where Atrus built his house. This is why it isn't listed in the Ages Category

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:32 pm 

Technically, it's in the age of Earth so it can be defined as an 'age' although there are many links to different places on Earth, so I guess its just an 'area'.

..It's an age to me. 8)

TG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:45 pm 

I thought they called Tomahna an age in some Myst game.

And if it's on Earth with D'ni, then why is the Linking Book labeled "Tomahna"? Shouldn't it be labeled "D'ni", because, like with other ages and their different places that have names, it's only just a place in D'ni?

I think that's why I call it an age, because the linking book to Tomahna is labeled Tomahna.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Inunah wrote:
I thought they called Tomahna an age in some Myst game.

And if it's on Earth with D'ni, then why is the Linking Book labeled "Tomahna"? Shouldn't it be labeled "D'ni", because, like with other ages and their different places that have names, it's only just a place in D'ni?

I think that's why I call it an age, because the linking book to Tomahna is labeled Tomahna.

Even though it is on Earth (or D'ni, depending on your perspective), the linking book was written by Atrus and it links to their home, so they chose to put an adapted D'ni word on the cover. The word tomahn means house, so perhaps Tomahna means home.

If I was in another age and I wrote a linking book back to my house on Earth, I might just label it "home" as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:33 pm 

You're probably right. Although I suck at D'ni so I don't know any of the words or grammar... I just know some of the alphabet.
I'm holding off learning D'ni until after I learn either Narayani or Rivenese though, so...

And if anyone knows a site I can go to that teaches Narayani or Rivenese i'll love you forever and ever and ever.

EDIT: If Tomahna isn't a separate age, then why in the Main Theme of Exile is the first line of each chorus "Tomahna, Edanna, Amateria, Voltaic, Narayan", huh? Why is it listed with other ages?
I think it's because Earth is made up of different ages just slapped together by the Maker because they fit together, and that Tomahna might really be one of those ages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:47 am 

Inunah wrote:
If Tomahna isn't a separate age, then why in the Main Theme of Exile is the first line of each chorus "Tomahna, Edanna, Amateria, Voltaic, Narayan", huh? Why is it listed with other ages?

Because when that theme was written, the fact that Tomahna was on Earth had not yet been explicitly revealed by Cyan. Not even to the people working on Exile.

Besides, Earth is an Age too, and why can't it be called by other names? The D'ni called it D'ni.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tesseract wrote:
Inunah wrote:
If Tomahna isn't a separate age, then why in the Main Theme of Exile is the first line of each chorus "Tomahna, Edanna, Amateria, Voltaic, Narayan", huh? Why is it listed with other ages?

Because when that theme was written, the fact that Tomahna was on Earth had not yet been explicitly revealed by Cyan. Not even to the people working on Exile.

Besides, Earth is an Age too, and why can't it be called by other names? The D'ni called it D'ni.

Yeah, we call the link to Earth's surface as "The Cleft", and to the caverns as "Ae'gura" or "Bevin" or so on. Since you only were around Tomahna, it calls Earth Tomahna. Just like "Edanna" could have hundreds more islands or continents on the same Age which might never think of calling it "Edanna".

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next