It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:41 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:11 pm 

@ Kero: SUOMI is Finland in Finnish, it also means the Finnish language. SUOMALAISET are the Finns 8) 8) 8) 8)
so "The Finns speak Finnish in Finland" would be "Suomalaiset puhuvat suomea Suomessa" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Kero wrote:
As long as we're going world wide shouldn't we be looking to the Orient as well as the Occident?

Oh yes it would be nice if MOUL can spread out his wings.
And if there is interest from the Orient we need to look at that.
Adding another language might be possible, but I think for now we need to concentrate more to see if there is a need for those languages the current community speak.
That will give them a great opportunity to profile MOUL in their home countries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:18 pm 

Rusty_Russell wrote:
Sophia wrote:
I always say: you may complain about my English but only after you learned to express yourself in my language as well as I am able to speak yours... right, AW? :lol: :wink: :twisted:
mais peut-etre je peux espresser moi-meme aussi bien en francais!

Ah! But my native language is not French... it is actually the language which is the closest to English, yet sounds so outlandish and guttural to the native English-attuned ear that most think it must be some weird tribal thing nobody has ever heard of :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kero, that is too funny! Ethan, thanks! I had no idea, the things you learn here :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

IMHO

Something to think about when using the word 'Oriental'. :wink:

"Orient" refers to THINGS from the Orient - such as food, rugs, souvenirs, etc...material THINGS. Therefore, when you call a human being "oriental" you are referring to them as an object with no soul or substance. This is why "Orient" is offensive and LEGALLY a racist term (at least here in the USA).

Asian can be used for people or things, it is not an offensive word at all. Asian refers to anyone or anything that comes from or is related to any country in Asia - from China to India to Vietnam, including the Philippines and Japan, and in some cases that large rural part of Russia.

I am unsure why "Orient" is widely used in the UK, UK English is actually considered a different dialect of English from American English and Australian English, so words have different meanings there.

In the USA it's probably safer to not play with the word "Orient" unless you are talking about food or rugs...but keep in mind you can call it "Asian" as well with no debate. If the term "oriental" is used in the wrong way at a workplace it could get the person who said it in trouble for discrimination nowadays so be super careful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:07 pm 

semplerfi wrote:
IMHO

Something to think about when using the word 'Oriental'. :wink:

"Orient" refers to THINGS from the Orient - such as food, rugs, souvenirs, etc...material THINGS. Therefore, when you call a human being "oriental" you are referring to them as an object with no soul or substance. This is why "Orient" is offensive and LEGALLY a racist term (at least here in the USA).

:shock: Does this mean that the song "We Three Kings" is ILLEGAL? If so - does that mean that every Hymn book you can find it in should be banned? - or maybe - burned? :shock: I guess I'll have to toss out my Agatha Christie novel now or risk being arrested. :roll:

PS: I am getting so very tired of Political Correctness - dag nab it. :wink:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hey, we're an international community... at least everyone knows what is meant by oriental... It just means from the East. I never thought it was offensive. :)

What is worse is that someone in the community once mistook Dutch for German (of course Dutch and Deutsch looks similar) and replied something like 'Who cares, what's the difference?'! :shock: That one should attend a soccer match between Germany and the Netherlands once. :lol:

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I don't think any one here gets hurt if you refer to a country the wrong way. We all know that we are an international community, so of course there is no resentment towards community members from another countries than your own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well I can easily see that you two are successful PR professionals. :lol:

PS: I am getting so very tired of the drama queens here - dag nab it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:06 pm 

semplerfi wrote:
PS: I am getting so very tired of the drama queens here - dag nab it. :wink:

Well you started it..... :P

Ok - enough childishness - back on topic.....er....what was it? Oh yah, language options for the tab buttons. I think it would be so neat to one day see the above list stretching all the way across the top - maybe even going to two lines or more.

:lol: Talk about counting your chickens before the eggs are even layed!

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tweek wrote:
I still think there should be a lolcats version.

Can haz?
O hai! Ai m in ur reltoe steeln ur konz :P
JK :wink:
kthxbai

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

Erik wrote:
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I don't think any one here gets hurt if you refer to a country the wrong way. We all know that we are an international community, so of course there is no resentment towards community members from another countries than your own.

I agree when we are talking about with in our existing community. Usually there are no problems.

Constructively, I was thinking more along the lines of cultivating NEW Explorers from the Asian folks that would be able to read our website in their language for the first time. First impressions and all that good PC stuff can be important when recruiting.

You can catch more flies with honey that with vinegar. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:57 pm 

If you want to start a translation, make sure you have a team with at least one translator and two proof-readers (to ensure the quality of the translation). Send me a PM with the details of the translation team and we'll get started. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:09 am 

The German and Finnish translations are now live.(Deutsch & Suomi)

Last edited by Artic_Wagon on Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:13 am 

You mean Deutsch. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:16 pm 

ddfreyne wrote:
You mean Deutsch. :)

Corrected...Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:18 pm 

"5. (usually initial capital letter) a native or inhabitant of the Orient."

I wasn't aware that Oriental was a racist/offensive term as I've heard it used in many places (including the literature mentioned here). Of course, I've also heard it used to refer to rugs, food, etc. In fact, in the link semper posted (five times, for some reason) I see no mention of it referring exclusively to objects and see one definition: "of the orient or east; eastern." and another in the definition of Orient: "the countries of Asia, esp. East Asia." as a clear way veralun could say, in fewer words "let's make it more friendly for people from East Asian countries". To which I agree. Obviously, the button for a translation to an Asian language isn't going to be labeled "Orient" anymore than the translation to French was labeled "Europe-talk." :P

On a broader scale, I think some effort should be put in to make the game more friendly for Asians in general. The fact that the only person who looks vaguely Asian is Dr. Kodama makes the game seem very American/Euro-centric. I remember back in MOUL there were quite a few people coming to us from Japan who looked more like British teenagers than they would like and told me so.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next