It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:32 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 32  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:06 pm 

chucker wrote:

Unless Cyan's Internet connection has some odd bandwidth or time cap, yes, it is free to upload again. And again. And again. Apple doesn't charge for that.

I don't know about "dumb", but how about "misleading" or "inaccurate". You're not paying Apple for the privilege of having your app up there. You're giving them a 30% cut for free marketing, free bandwidth, and free spread to a fast-increasing audience (already over 30 million people).

Chucker, I fully understand how the 30% works and that there is no percent taken from free apps. I was merely pointing out that if you're paying apple that much, that they should do a better job.
And as Tai'lahr pointed out, I was referring to Chogan's time spent uploading. He work is not free and I believe even if he only spent a minute or two uploading, his time could have been spent doing something better.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:59 pm 

The format that is used for music is not proprietary, it is AAC. Which stands for Advanced Audio Codec. It has absolutely nothing to do with Apple, and everything to do with a better or improved version of Audio encoding. Think of it as mp4 if u must. Do your research before taking stands on things you are not well informed about. The only part of iTunes that was proprietary, was the Fairplay DRM, devised by Apple at the behest of the record labels. Guess what? No longer used as of this year.

Don't like that you have to use iTunes? Why? It is a) free and b)good at what it does. What is the issue? You love WMA stuff?

Converting videos? They are converted to work properly on the device. Oh boohoo, they make me do stuff to my videos so they will work properly. Still not sure why the format of videos is such a big deal, are they all purchased stuff? What is wrong with them being converted to work properly with the device in question? A device that is not as powerful as your computer for starters.

As for authorized devices etc. remember that any restrictions on accessing content is at the behest of copyright holders, not Apple. Should post the link to SJ's open letter to content owners regarding copy protection and treating customers like adults, not thieves.

And why all the "planned to never buy a portable Apple device, or any Apple product" hate? Some reason for this animosity? Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. What is the deal with that? It makes all your other arguments a bit suspect, since it reveals a prejudice on the issue on your part.

Care to share? What is the real reason? My vote is for cognitive dissonance with a bit of Stockholm Syndrome thrown in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:15 pm 

thesaxmaniac wrote:
And as Tai'lahr pointed out, I was referring to Chogan's time spent uploading. He work is not free and I believe even if he only spent a minute or two uploading, his time could have been spent doing something better.

Mea culpa. That makes more sense, then.

mszv wrote:
I don't like it that you have to use iTunes to get stuff on your portable device. I don't like the Apple proprietary format, for either music or videos. I do know that you can put MP3s on the Apple portable devices, which is good. As far as I know, you have to convert your videos to the Apple format - unless that changed.

The default format for songs in iTunes and on iPods and iPhones is AAC, for Advanced Audio Coding. It was largely developed by Dolby, and is an open standard as part of the MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 specifications, making it the official successor to MP3. Apple actually had no part in developing it; they are merely one of the earliest and biggest supporters.

Similarly, the default format for videos is AVC/H.264.

Now, the FairPlay wrapper that DRM'd files get is proprietary, and there are plenty of things in iTunes for which Apple has never released the specifications, such as ALAC, for Apple Lossless Audio Codec. But by and large, I think you are mistaken about this supposed "Apple format".

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Erik wrote:
Ashler wrote:
Been checking this forum for a long time, for the release of Myst on the iphone.
Just registered to say that I have bought and downloaded the game. Huge fan of the series. :)

(Now if they would just start working on Riven ;))

Greetz.

Welcome! ;)

I noticed the butterflies on Myst are gone. I guess that's because videos couldn't be overlayed, as Chogon explained some time ago.

I also afraid that I discovered some bugs... but I won't mention that in any review of course. ;)

I just went into the original Myst and there are definitely no butterflies there either . . . I think Maybe the butterflies may be a Real Myst addition? Don't remember.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mystdee wrote:
I just went into the original Myst and there are definitely no butterflies there either . . . I think Maybe the butterflies may be a Real Myst addition? Don't remember.

I had butterflies in the original Mac version (and I think Masterpiece too), and I actually missed them on the iPhone too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well - gee - you don't have to be so mean about it, Rondini! I was just expressing my opinion. I assume you were joking about the cognitive dissonance and Stockholm syndrome thing, but honestly! What's going on here - I could say the same about you!

I think Apple makes good products and has good services because of several things - their design sense, their read on the market (ease of use, all that), and their control thing. I give them credit - Apple managed to sell online music when most people who wanted to get music online were grabbing it for free. They also charged what I consider to be a high price - $1.00 a song, previous price - it seems high to me. All of this is brilliant, agreed, but the control thing is the thing I don't like. Appie is so good in how they limit your choices, both from a hardware and software perspective, that I think most people don't notice it. It doesn't seem to come up, all that much. I don't see people saying - wait, why can't I buy something for my ipod from places othen than the apple store and put it on myself - where's the built in connectivity to do that? Are games only available at the ITunes store? Apple's desire for control, in the tech industry - well known - and I admit, from my tech industry perspective (Chucker, I suspect you feel differently!), incredibly annoying. I understand full well Job's "reality distortion field" abilities, and I understand how brilliantly Apple markets things, just not a fan. It's not that Apple is completely immune to changing - the DRM free songs - a good example of that, and there are other examples.

On formats, and the piracy issue - kind of a moot point. You can convert anything to the format Apple requires. Not that I'm advocating piracy, mind you, but that part is not working.

So - it's not my thing. That's the reason. The fact that you have to hack your Apple devices to put things on them yourself, if you don't go through the Apple channels - that's saying something.

For all that - I think it was the right thing to do - to do Myst for the Apple portable touch screen devices - very good call. From what I've seen, Myst looks and plays amazingly well. So - that's what's important.

Just read Chucker's message - thanks for the info. I understand the reasoning for the formats, for music, though I'm not converting my MP3 library. On videos - not the most common format out there, but we all know that.

Perhaps I'm just uniformed. I'd like to use something other than iTunes to get my music on an Apple touch device. I'd also like to put on, and play videos in a different format from the default format Apple uses. Is that possible? Maybe it's all opened up (officially) and I don't know it!

Last edited by mszv on Sun May 03, 2009 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:32 pm 

Awesome! I just got an iPhone about 10 days ago. Downloading now. :D

KI #00066107

I never asked to be born, but since I'm here, I'm taking over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm sure there were butterflies in at least Myst Masterpiece edition. I remember it because it was a small, grainy moving video overlay. Chogon said this in February's GoMe newsletter:
Chogon wrote:
And one of the interesting things is that the movie player on the iPhone only plays full screen! So we've had to remake all movies into full screen, merging in the background

So this probably means that every shot that previously included the butterflies had to be made into an entire movie, for every possible angle of the island on which the butterflies are visible. So it's not surprising the butterflies have been left out. (If that's the reason)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Christian Walther wrote:
Mystdee wrote:

I had butterflies in the original Mac version (and I think Masterpiece too), and I actually missed them on the iPhone too.

Well my original Myst is Playstation, so they may have been removed for that version LOL! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Download completing and adding to my iPhone now! Time to disappear back into 1993 (playing Wolfenstein 3D during breaks from Myst)...

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Man, I know in my heart that it's the same game that I've played a million times before, on several different versions, but I'm still blown away by how beautiful the game looks and runs on the iPod Touch. This is what I was expecting from the DS version of the game, but was very disappointed... but now... all's right with the world again.

Better still, the one feature request I really had for this version of the game is in there. Full screen linking panels. Now I just want to expand on that a bit...

FEATURE REQUEST: Make the linking animations loop, rather than only playing once. It'd also be nice to see the opening link to Myst in full screen, but that's just being picky.... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:40 am 
Obduction Backer

vidkid7 wrote:
Man, I know in my heart that it's the same game that I've played a million times before, on several different versions, but I'm still blown away by how beautiful the game looks and runs on the iPod Touch. This is what I was expecting from the DS version of the game, but was very disappointed... but now... all's right with the world again.

Better still, the one feature request I really had for this version of the game is in there. Full screen linking panels. Now I just want to expand on that a bit...

FEATURE REQUEST: Make the linking animations loop, rather than only playing once. It'd also be nice to see the opening link to Myst in full screen, but that's just being picky.... :)

I agree Vid it is beautiful and I love the fly bys!! from what I understand, in the beginning of the development, they had thought about the opening Myst flyby but decided, with everything else at the start, it was too much intro . . . . but I still love beginning :)

:shock: Myst is #11 on the top Paid Apps (adventure game category) w00t !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:17 am 

Oh, bravo I say! I'd always wondered what would happen when Myst happened to come across the iPhone -- I suspected something good, and I'm ever so glad to see my suspicions confirmed.
So: wonderful job, all! The whole thing speaks of quality, from start to (anticipatory) finish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:13 am 

Mystdee wrote:
Christian Walther wrote:
Mystdee wrote:

Well my original Myst is Playstation, so they may have been removed for that version LOL! :lol:

I don't exactly remember whether there were butterflies in the original PC version, but I remember seeing them in some version by the library or fountain. They aren't there in the iPhone one...but there are birds flying in the sky by the dock! They might have to deal with this differently if they port Riven because the animals/bugs are more than just eye candy in that. Anyway I put up a review on the app store with my thoughts about everything else and gave it a 5 star. I saw yours too Mystdee!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:24 am 
Obduction Backer

Yes, and Oh those darn birds. . . .well don't get me started ;)

I did leave a review and noticed all but one person, gave 5 stars :) The comments there have been very positive and I am loving reading them!

The app is at #6 now, ( top paid adventures games) but it has bounced back to 11 then back to 6 so I am wondering if Myst fans have broken iTunes LOL! :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 32  Next