It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:42 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Myst iPhone
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:24 am 

Should we create a section of this forum for supporting Myst on the iPhone?

I suspect we are the most qualified group around for providing support. Plus pulling iPhone users here would build up a base of potential new users for MO:OS...

From a search engine results stand point phrases like Myst iPhone Support, Myst iPhone Help and similar would let searchers find us easily.

Edit-------------------------
New Section for Myst iPhone Support and Help

The answer to that question is now, YES! :lol:

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Last edited by Nalates on Thu May 07, 2009 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:05 am 
Obduction Backer

I will contact Chogon about this to see what possibilities there are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:34 pm 

I agree, nalates. We don't have to do it, but I have no problem helping to make things better for everyone. As you said, it's good for us, for cyan worlds and most probably to their next projects, and of course may draw new player to openuru.

I just hope people won't hear about uru and turn to "complete chronicles" or "ages beyond myst" instead of uru live. Many people do it, and than refuse to try uru live, because they think it's mostly the same game. It's even harder now, when it's not up yet, to tell people to wait for uru live and not start complete chronicles or ages beyond myst. I really hope openuru is up soon. But of course, I'm not rushing cyan worlds or anything, if you can't do it now, hold on with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Are you refering to game/puzzle support? because if so, there is a very detailed hint guide with different levels of hints accessable through the game on the iDevices. . . so seems like if they need help of that kind, the hint guide is what they should/would use.

As far as support for problems go, IMO, we certainly are not the ones to turn to for help, since Cyan is the only one that can fix things . . . so having them come here to our forums to ask us for help, only means that Chogon has one more place to look to see if anyone/anything needs attention. He stated in another thread, that they are looking into setting up a place for players to report problems they encounter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:11 pm 

@The Stranger – I agree with you that there are risks and some Myst iPhone support seekers may turn to CC. But I think if they find this site they will at least become aware of the MMO version of the game. After all, nearly all of the CC stuff here is in relation to viewing Fan Created Content for MOOS. So, they should make the connection.

If we take advantage of the opportunity, we will at least have a chance to attract new players we would not have otherwise.

Additionally while the timing is not ideal for MOOS, it is what we have been given to work with. Also, I am hoping that Myst iPhone is not a short term thing. So, for some time to come there will be people looking for support for Myst iPhone.

@Mystdee – you are right on the points you make but I disagree with the overall idea there are better places or they won’t search for help and just use what is offered in game. People always go past the built in help and look for more and better information. Think GameTap and Uru. Or they miss the in-game help all together. I am still amazed at the number of my clients that still do not know F1 is the help key on Windows systems, actually most computer systems. Some will use those resources. It may be likely they will. But, some will look beyond for Myst iPhone support, walkthroughs and hints.

As to the ‘official’ channels being the only ones that can fix technical problems, that is correct. But people will not get a warm fuzzy from those sites. Warm fuzzy and fun Myst iPhone support is what we offer here. This forum updates with solutions and work-arounds from the users faster than most ‘official’ sites.

There is the problem of iPhone users searching from there iPhone and this site not being designed to be phone friendly. Fortunately iPhone can do a better job than most at handling non-MOBILE web sites. But, none of the problems matter if we can expose them to the idea of the larger Myst worlds and fans. Because there is the ‘more’ factor. After I first played Myst I wanted more Myst. I loved the series of games. I got hooked on Uru MMO, many of us did. So, support is not just the technical aspect of fixing something that does not work in Myst iPhone. If there are no promotions within the iPhone system for other Myst style games and even if there are, I suspect people will go in search of ‘more Myst’ (there is no pun intended here but the relation is there). People will search for Myst for iPhone.

One also must decide if giving up promotion of MOOS because we may not provide the best or most likely support for Myst iPhone is being smart. We have knowledge of the game. Some of us are gaining knowledge of the iPhone and Myst on it. Beginning early to try and capitalize on fans here and capture the fan base is just good marketing. Plus there is very little to do beyond what most do anyway.

One of the big gripes of fans has been what many consider poor marketing of Uru. Whether that is charged to Cyan, Ubisoft or GameTap there is little doubt what was done was not effective. Now it falls to the fans to promote MOOS. What other opportunity do we have that promises so many possibilities? Will fans be the next failure or will we do something more successful?

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:09 pm 

I believe Nalates is right. It is a good opportunity. And in a built in hint system you can't discuss or talk about it. Something you'd want to do with something like Myst.

For example:
I remember when, upon replaying Myst, i got confused. I e-mailed Cyan about how I found it strange that Sirrus adressed me through Achenars imager. Telling me to take only one page. How could Sirrus, now imprisoned, then have known about me later coming there looking for pages.
RAWA kindly answered my e-mail. And I would have hit myself if I was so inclined, upon reading his answer about which page Sirrus was refering to.

Without the foreknowledge of allready having played the game I could not have made the stupid assumption that it was about me. BUT! Things like this you want to talk with others about. It is not technical support. It is not hints or walkthroughs. It is a social thing. In 95 or 96 when this happened. Social forums like this was not as available, so... I e-mailed Cyan without thinking. Just as I post now without thinking. Thats how I like to be social. Welcome that.*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well it looks like lBell has set up a new section for that kind of social help, and he included a place for them to post problems too so it will be easier for Cyan to find, better than all scattered out. That I do agree with :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:16 pm 

Nice new section of the forum. Kewl.

The sections are named to conform with the forum style. So, the Myst iPhone Support and Help is named 'Technical Discussion.' Not the best choice for getting search results or for those searching for help and support. When was the last time you needed help with something and you went looking for 'technical discussion?' That's one of those differences between forum operators/designers and marketing types. Designers like consistency for appearance sake and marketers use everything they can to get word out and be easy to find to archive a marketing goal.

Whether we can get Cyan to change that, I don't know. It would help the forums presence in search and the iPhone users if they would. We can however create links to that section using the linking text Myst iPhone Support and Help and make it work.

Those using social sites like Facebook and MySpace can post links to the new section using that linking text and variations. Use whatever words you think you would use in a search for your link text. It is important to use the words Myst, iPhone, support and/or help but it is not mandatory.

Of course daily Plurks and Twits for a week or so using those terms will way help too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

There is a in the game options that links to the Myst for iPhone/iPod help site and a link there for Myst support forums linking directly here, it seems that when looking for help with the game that would be the first place they'd look since it is in-game clearly labeled help/info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:26 pm 

Mystdee, that is what one might think. People never do what seems rational or easy. In sales one tries to anticipate how catch the attention of all who might be interested. Obviously the iPhone support is not providing all the help and information desired. That gives us an opportunity and let's iPhone users help each other too.

In April and May the forum was getting an average of 3 new members per day. Since the iPhone section was added and began to appear in Google and the Cyan site that jumped up to 9 or 10. That may never draw huge numbers. But if fans decide to use my ideas for posting Twitters, linking from blogs and forums this forum's presence will increase.

The number of posts per day are up. Excited people are finding Myst again and many are discovering it. Along with that I suspect (hope) many will find Uru also. Now is the time to be building a fan base that anticipates the MO:OS (or whatever) opening.

While I think it would be great to have this all coordinated and timed with definite dates and milestones... that just is not going to happen so we work with what we have. Next week I'll have a blog post about the change here. With any luck that will make the New World Notes blog and attract hundreds of not thousands of SL iPhone users from around the world. The Twitters and blog posts are social networking viral campaigns. For me they are test cases for the RL work I do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Seen this discussion is more focussed on iMyst, I move this thread over to General Discussion iPhone.
Please note that you also can post your suggestions or ideas about iPhone in that section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:58 pm 

Not wanting to offend you, but Mystdee, you clearly need some modern marketing lessons. The iPhone is great, but for extensive browsing, searching for help or navigating through forums it's not the best tool. Also when you use the ingame link you actually leave the game, which irritates many users. Most users will play myst at home most of the time, and use their pc if they need help.

Also every MYST related site needs extensive Search Engine Optimization (SEO). People like to use GOOGLE, they don't like tools they don't know like ingame interfaces. And when I type in Myst into google all I get is first a wikipedia page, then the Ubisoft page for MYST which is quite "the opposite of updated" (sorry my english is not perfect), then the CYAN COMPANY page, which isn't very helpful either. Every other site is related but not to cyan, but it doesn't really matter, because people don't look past the first few results.

Also Myst needs to be on Facebook and Twitter. I don't personally like this things, but nowadays it's a necessary marketing tool to build a strong fanbase (and hey, it's free), it's what all cool kids in town are doing. People will turn there and ask questions, and they will spread the word by themselves. They will tell their friends of myst and they will tell them of the good support they got and others will find it and buy it this way. You need to cover all possible channels there are, in order to spread out as far as you can.

Ok, so the game has an ingame Help and/or Hint button somewhere hidden in preferences (preferences= where people look once and never again), fine, by me it can ROT there forever, because NOBODY will use it. Worse yet, I sometimes press the button to get to preferences (to save the game, because I know now better and one bug got me to restart the game), but the response time is a bit slow and I press again because I think I pressed wrong (I got big fingers). And suddenly I am thrown out of the game into safari, because I actually pressed right the first time and the second time it gets the hint button. And I guess that happens to lot of people which then get irritated and frustrated and start to HATE that hint button. Which is one point less for this button.

Like I said, I might sound a bit harsh but don't mean to offend anybody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:06 pm 

LazyAndroid wrote:
Not wanting to offend you, but Mystdee, you clearly need some modern marketing lessons.

Mystdee does not to my knowledge work for or otherwise represent Cyan, and was/is merely a beta tester.

Quote:
Also every MYST related site needs extensive Search Engine Optimization (SEO). People like to use GOOGLE, they don't like tools they don't know like ingame interfaces. And when I type in Myst into google all I get is first a wikipedia page, then the Ubisoft page for MYST which is quite "the opposite of updated" (sorry my english is not perfect), then the CYAN COMPANY page, which isn't very helpful either. Every other site is related but not to cyan, but it doesn't really matter, because people don't look past the first few results.

That's a valid point, yes. It's too hard to find the right resources.

Quote:
Also Myst needs to be on Facebook and Twitter.

There are numerous Myst groups on Facebook, there's a Cyan Worlds, Inc. page, and there's a cyanworlds Twitter account. Several Cyan employees have Facebook and/or Twitter accounts of their own. I think you may be overrating the value of social networking as it relates to Myst, though; this isn't American Idol.

Quote:
I don't personally like this things, but nowadays it's a necessary marketing tool to build a strong fanbase (and hey, it's free). People will turn there and ask questions, and they will spread the word by themselves. They will tell their friends of myst and they will tell them of the good support they got and others will find it and buy it this way. You need to cover all possible channels there are, in order to spread out as far as you can.

I think the cyanworlds Twitter account does exactly that.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

I don't want or need marketing lessons, thanks. . . . it is not my desire to take on that task, nor do I claim to be an expert, just making a personal observation/statement, no more, no less. Like Chucker said, Nothing I have said, represents Cyan's feelings on this subject.

Cyan Worlds IS on Twitter, although I personally don't much like it myself. . . don't like the interface and consider it to be not very user friendly to someone who is new at it . . . . Facebook I never have checked out, not really interested, but they may also be on there for all I know.

@ Nalates: I'm not saying your ideas are not good, they probably are very good, and yes maybe Word of mouth on Twitter etc. helps, this (word of mouth that is) was instrumental with the original release of Myst having so much success, as we all know, but there was no "modern" marketing sites then and people still communicated the excellence of the game to their friends. . . that is all I am saying, and this is just my own feelings, not any marketing idea/suggestion or anything against anyone else's ideas. . .

Post subject: BTW
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:16 pm 

BTW, the iPhone Myst help is what got me interested in playing the online Myst game. I look forward to it!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next