It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:37 pm 

It is good to see the careful and respectful and kind responses here. We all love URU and MOUL and it is understandable that people want to be back in the Cavern, even by a back door. hopefully we can get in the front door soon.

re licenses it is my understanding, which may be very wrong, that Cyan intends to have open source on MOUL for MOUL and additions of player made content, still in the MOUL format and using the MOUL engine. I had not thought that they intended an emporium to license Myst ideas, content and concepts to other platforms. That would spread Myst across the known universe far beyond control of Cyan and indeed seems to be not an extension and expansion of the D'ni world but merely cloning D'ni and MOUL elements to support other purposes.

I am happy to enjoy Myst and MOUL in the pure form in the Cavern when we get back there.

I have seen lovely renditions of Myst type ideas and settings in Second Life and know there are others elsewhere. Ah well, soon we will know what is intended and hopefully we can continue to enjoy the D'ni universe in the beautiful way that the MOUL engine and world renders it.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:37 pm 

semplerfi wrote:
Erik wrote:
they put words in Cyan's mouth and thus mislead people.

We do not know that concidering that there is a lot of dialog in people's secondary language going on...

Yes, subversive advertising counts as a second language.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Had no idea there were rogue shards tbh. I just wish they'd release something official. I'm sick and tired of roaming the city alone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:22 pm 

@CrisGer ... regarding licenses...

Your point is well taken and I am sure Cyan is giving it lots of thought. I see a problem with the 'MOUL game engine'. Even in this forum the definition of what the engine consists of gets wonky. If we drop DirectX or PhysX and replace them with something more open source, do we still have the MOUL engine or something else? How will Cyan define that?

If someone decides Plasma is not the best development environment and finds something else we all like and developers adopt in mass (ok, unlikely but this is an if) is the resulting game still a MOUL game engine? If work is done with Blender and PyPRP, is the result not a MOUL game and is that not a removal of Plasma?

If some shard operators find alcugs is a better server side, is that a departure from the MOUL game engine?

If another coder changes out the player side KI, chat, camera and other tools to something we like better is that new client side still the MOUL game engine?

At what point do the changes constitute a 'different' game engine?

I think 'a point of departure' is going to be hard to define. So, unless Cyan specifically forbids use of their content in THERE and/or Second Life, which they may, I think it will be very difficult to allow the fans freedom to improve the player side of the game and restrict use of the content. If they resort to naming environments where the content cannot be used by name, i.e., THERE, SL, Blue Mars, etc., what happens when a new one comes out that is not specifically named? What about OpenSim/OSGrid and its spin offs?

Altrenatively Cyan may decide to issue individual licenses for use of the content on a case-by-case basis. I think that would be overly restrictive but it could protect their assets. It would also give them considerable control/influence over the fan shards, which might be a good thing. It would also mean an ongoing work load for Cyan. I think it would also mean more occurrences of the type of question asked in the OP. I think Cyan will shy away from this choice.

There are so many choices, problems and things changing fast, it is very unpredictable what Cyan will do. Until we see a license, we don't know who is going to be able to do what. There is a very diverse array of hopes in the community. Some are bound to be happy whatever Cyan decides.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Last edited by Nalates on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:40 pm 

quahog42 wrote:
semplerfi wrote:
Erik wrote:
they put words in Cyan's mouth and thus mislead people.

We do not know that concidering that there is a lot of dialog in people's secondary language going on...

Yes, subversive advertising counts as a second language.

Quite correct. There are genuine issues with language (which even those who speak the language struggle with), and then there is flat out lying. This is a clear case of the later. To equate one with the other insults those who try to learn a new language to the benefit of those who use it to lie and insult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nice spin...

Who's on First? :P :lol:

What are the facts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:34 pm 

Why can't we just be patient? Cyan said they are going to bring Uru back, so why are people slamming their feet on the gas?

Why can't some people show Cyan a little more respect? Do they even care about Cyan?

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:15 am 

Jamey wrote:
Why can't we just be patient? Cyan said they are going to bring Uru back, so why are people slamming their feet on the gas?

Why can't some people show Cyan a little more respect? Do they even care about Cyan?

I does! :D

*Jeremy Clarkson* 'Come on! POWER! *yells incoherently* What a useless car!'
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:39 am 

Quote:
Why can't we just be patient?

It can be a bit hard at the current situation. Cyan Worlds stopped entertaining us- there is no Uru, no new game, new little story or something. You can't expect people to just sit down and do nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:11 am 
Obduction Backer

The stranger wrote:
Quote:
Why can't we just be patient?

It can be a bit hard at the current situation. Cyan Worlds stopped entertaining us- there is no Uru, no new game, new little story or something. You can't expect people to just sit down and do nothing.

Yes you can. Because only the loyalist of loyal will sit and wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. And wait.... And...

What were we doing again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:30 am 

And people do stuff, jamey. You are making good looking pics. Some of us are working on a newsletter. But there are people who aren't easily entertained by fan works. You can't blame them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:33 pm 

Some of us are passing the time by playing really fun things, like The Lord of the Rings Online, and when we try to get other people to join us in that experience, to help pass the time with something fun, our topics get ignored, and rouge Uru shards are built up instead. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tomala wrote:

Laughing at people who don't understand sarcasm.

At least, that's what I'm doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:14 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

After some research - i.e. reading Tomala's blog - I came to understand that she only speaks in Sarcasm. Once I finally understood that, her language is perfectly clear. I was shocked to have taken so long because I thought I could speak Sarcasm so well, but she is hands-down the master.

Last edited by JWPlatt on Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Marten wrote:
Tomala wrote:

Laughing at people who don't understand sarcasm.

At least, that's what I'm doing.

Oh my! and is it ever a laugh a minute around here.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next