It is currently Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Crossover?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:14 am 

:cry: I was playing Myst Uru avidly before my Windows computer finally decided to crash. I got a new Mac in the hopes I wouldn't have to deal with all of Window's horrors ever again. That's when I discovered a new horror. Right when I was starting to like the new Mac. It doesn't run Myst: Uru. Now you can imagine how horrified I felt at that thought. But then I heard of a new hope, something called Crossover, which is meant to run Windows games on the Mac. So I popped in the disk and attempted to install it. No luck. It fails after a few moments.

Has anyone successfully found a way to run Myst Uru on a Mac? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:22 am 

Zib had some success: http://zibland.com/blog/?p=887

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:27 pm 

:? Thank you for the help but there's a tiny problem. I don't have a Windows computer anymore. So there's no way I can install it on a PC then transfer the files. I'm thinking of maybe buying myself Windows 7 and then setting up Boot Camp on it. I really don't want to resort to these lengths to get Myst Uru to run. Willing to buy a whole operating system for this game...I must be nuts. :lol: Goes to show how desperate I am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

crystal wrote:
Willing to buy a whole operating system for this game...I must be nuts. :lol: Goes to show how desperate I am.

Join the rest of us happy "nuts." You don't need a new systems to play. After all, the game is from 2003 and had very modest requirements then. I'd ask around. I bet someone you know has an old system that runs Windows 98SE (or newer) that they'd be happy to sell for far less than the cost of Windows 7 disks. Then you could have an entire computer dedicated to URU like some of us. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:45 pm 

crossover games, as i recall, only supports a specific number of titles and i doubt that uru is among them. however , i can tell you that uru:cc runs very well (so far anyway) on my 15" macbook pro running snow leopard and win xp under parallels 4 if you decide to go that route. there is sun's virtualbox, which is free, but i'm not sure how it does with games. might be worth a shot though. either way you'll need a copy of windows (a retail version, not a restore disk for a specific brand) for it to work. boot camp is also an option of course, but i find vm software like parallels a lot more useful than having to reboot every time you want to use windows software.
as far as windows 7, i'm not sure about uru:cc compatibility with it. however most versions of win 7 except for the most basic actually have (or will have, it's supposed to be downloadable) a win xp virtual machin built in. it's basically xp sp3 that runs in a vm within 7. i'm guessing uru should run ok with that.
a quick poke around on google seems to indicate that uru:cc is unsupported by crossover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

It is officially unsupported, but it runs quite well in CrossOver Games 7.1 and 8.0. When it stopped working in 7.2 and I submitted a bug report about it, they even tested it and made sure it worked in 8.0 again. (The actual fix happened independently of my bug report, if I remember correctly, but I was still impressed by the level of support they showed for an "unsupported" game.)

(As to the question of installing it, I don't know if it can be done without Windows. I run it directly off my Windows partition where it has been installed on Windows. I tried extracting the files from the CDs on Mac OS once, that wasn't too difficult, but didn't arrive at a functional install that way and gave up after a while.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:30 am 

:D I've heard some very good news from a friend of mine! He's tested Myst Uru on Windows 7 and he says it runs beautifully. So now I'm looking into getting Windows 7, which will hopefully solve all my problems and I can play my favorite game once again! :!: It's sure too bad that its not possible to instal Uru on the Mac without using a Windows computer... in my experience my Mac has been outstanding when it comes to running games on it and I bet Uru would just be gorgeous on it. Maybe once I get my Windows then I can transfer the files and try to run it on the mac, then compare to see which computer it runs better on. Should be interesting to test Windows 7 and see what it's made of.

Thanks for all of your help. Please let me know if there's any hope for running Uru on my Mac without the use of Windows. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:57 am 

I'm successfully playing Uru/POTS on my Mac book Pro in my bootcamp space. I'm running the Leopard OS version of Bootcamp with Windows XP SP2 for my operating system. Everything works A O K. :)

MO:UL KI# 08022570

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:58 am 

I'm successfully playing Uru/POTS on my Mac book Pro in my bootcamp space. I'm running the Leopard OS version of Bootcamp with Windows XP SP2 for my operating system. Everything works A O K. :)

MO:UL KI# 08022570

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:17 am 

QuinMaddox wrote:

That's good to hear. I'll look into using Bootcamp as well. :P I appreciate the help. Oh, just one more question, do you think it runs better on the mac then on windows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

crystal wrote:
do you think it runs better on the mac then on windows?

No, unfortunately not. CrossOver has its limitations - there is a performance impact to the translation from Direct3D to OpenGL it has to perform, so it's noticeably slower than on Windows (particularly in badly optimized fan ages), some quality options like antialiasing and anisotropic filtering are missing (at least for me - it may depend on your graphics hardware), and there are some minor quirks like mouse warping. If you can afford to shut down Mac OS and boot into Windows every time you want to play, you will always be better off running Uru and other Windows games on the "real thing". (I usually can't, so I'm quite happy with CrossOver.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:14 pm 

:) How about running Windows 7 on the Mac using Bootcamp or something similar? Is the performance greatly increased?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:50 am 

scrounge a copy of XP, install it using Bootcamp, and reboot the Mac into XP as needed. It will run fine. It is what i did and had no issues. I ran MOUL under Mac and XP partitions (some time ago now, sadly).

If u want to play Windows games on your Mac, best bet is to just boot into Windows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

crystal wrote:
How about running Windows 7 on the Mac using Bootcamp or something similar? Is the performance greatly increased?

That's what I'm talking about. I don't know about Windows 7 (I expect it to work), but XP works nicely. Not greatly but noticeably.

(I have the impression that there is some confusion here about what Boot Camp is. Running Windows on Apple hardware (installed using Boot Camp) is no different than running it on Dell or HP or Asus hardware. There's nothing "Mac" about Mac hardware running Windows, as long as it runs Windows it's a PC like any other. There is also nothing magic about Boot Camp - it consists of a utility to help you partition your hard drive and a unified installer for the Windows drivers for the hardware components used by Apple. Both are only there for your convenience and you could do without either.)