It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:53 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:01 am 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:32 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:22 am 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:27 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm not sure, JWPlatt, but, are you suggesting the "hacker"-types are the ones that find this "trouble"? Since... I find the opposite is the case, but, granted, I could be interpreting what you're saying horribly wrong. However, don't get me wrong, either, its not about Cyan, either. This is bigger than the community we know right now.

A number of the current hackers, as far as I can gather, are well aware of what this means, I find those outside of that group are far less clued in on what this is really about. This isn't purely about this community, or Uru, either. Plasma will be more than just Uru, or Cyan games, anymore, too. Its going to be a bit of a bumpy ride for some people, but, its going to be pretty good for everyone, should this community hold onto its identity, though it'll more than likely become but a subsection in the plasma-engine community that will eventually spring up, with a bit of luck. The trick is to not let this, the Uru community lose its identity as such. But, put simply, Uru will not be the only driving force behind the source code, I'd hope. It'll simply be just one game built on an engine used for many things.

Keep that in mind,.

By the by, JWPlatt, my "trouble" was referring to the way people still believe this is just about the uru community. This has further reaching consequences than just our community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:16 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:52 pm 

I suggest not making too many assumptions about any part of the Uru community and what they are or are not thinking. We tend to talk Uru here because that is what we have in common. That does not mean fan thoughts are not encompassing outside ideas (?). I also have a belief that only the new, innocent or thick skinned will hazard voicing exotic ideas here.

While we have even less information to speculate on about in what other people that may be interested, in a general way we can we know what the gaming community does. I think ODE and PhysX or Havok show how the game community uses and adds to both full open source and proprietary tools.

I can imagine PyPRP becoming something more like the Blue Mars’ building tools. Or Plasma may already be something like that, I doubt it. Or if one considers it to be more of the game server and client skeletons then it may become something more like OpenSim, which is now the basis for several virtual worlds and vw systems. Whatever happens with Plasma it will be interesting.

I’m not sure how JWP sees open source Plasma use helping Cyan. I would think that would mean they would just have more competition as people use Plasma for various games.

Cyan does not seem to be in a place to advance Plasma development, which would be happening out in the OS arena. I only see them developing it as a means to accomplish another task such as MQO. So, it would be a cost spent for efficiency and necessity rather than as its own profit center. The development in PhysX and Havok is fueled by other commercial interest; selling hardware. While OpenCL has sprung up and come to first release and at least one update in about a year and has many adopting it, ODE is taking years to develop single features and mostly being adopted by the open source and independent game developers community.

How do you see Plasma reaching outside the Uru community working in Cyan’s favor, JWP?

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:49 am 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:30 pm 

I don't expect people not interested in Uru to join in Plasma development, simply because there are better open-source engines out there already. Plasma's value is really just in running Uru.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:35 pm 

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]