It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:36 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Myst for the Android?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:37 am 

Myst going to the iPhone was obviously a wise choice considering the immense popularity and stability the mobile OS platform has established itself in the smart-phone market. Although some still seek alternatives, and Google Android is quickly rivaling the iPhone OS in popularity and versatility. While still in an agreed second place to the Apple App Store, the Android Market is promising for developers who want to cover both markets, particularly since many non-AT&T carriers scramble to promote as many Android based cell phones to compete with the iPhone's success.

That being said, I humbly request that the Cyan team look into developing or translating a version compatible with the Android OS. Hopefully there have been limited or no exclusivity agreements with Apple making this possible, and no plausible fallout from Apple executives who may see such a move in a negative light.

Till then I will be enjoying the Myst universe from my PC. Keep up the good work Cyan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

A second the idea of an android port.

And we need a decent DS port !

MOUL ki : Ewilan : #07497427
MOULagain ki : Will tell if i manage to get in someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:00 pm 

Myst is a large app.

I have not kept up with what Android is doing. Initially it simply did not have the capacity needed to run Myst.

I think Cyan squeezed as many bytes out of Myst as they could when porting it to the iPhone. So, I'm not hopeful about seeing an Android port until the hardware changes.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:35 am 
Obduction Backer

Nalates wrote:
Myst is a large app.

I have not kept up with what Android is doing. Initially it simply did not have the capacity needed to run Myst.

I think Cyan squeezed as many bytes out of Myst as they could when porting it to the iPhone. So, I'm not hopeful about seeing an Android port until the hardware changes.

Your post is nonsensical. Android is an Operating System. Capacity and Hardware are meaningless.

It sounds like you mean to be talking about a specific phone, but you don't say which one.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:09 am 

I think it's finally time to port Myst on Android too. Considering the Nexus One hardware, I think Myst could run pretty well on Android. And what about porting Riven and Exile too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

The Android OS will only allow apps to load and run in the internal memory, which is generally pretty small. As far as I know, there are no Android devices that have a capacity to run an app as large as Myst. This includes the Nexus One.

Google has stated that they will eventually fix the Android OS to allow applications to be loaded on the SD card. When that happens then we can consider the possibility of putting Myst on an Android device.

Thanks,
Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:37 am 
Obduction Backer

That's one heck of a limitation.

Let's hope they get that sorted. It's too bad a port would incur a large rewrite thanks to the different mandated languages on each platform.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Google has stated that they will eventually fix the Android OS to allow applications to be loaded on the SD card. When that happens then we can consider the possibility of putting Myst on an Android device.

Mmm.

Get moving google ??!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:10 pm 

I asked a questione here
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/A ... 63f7&hl=en

I hope they'll answer me soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Giacomo.

I suspect your answer may not be too different from this one on the same forum:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Android+Market/thread?tid=2b891734d0c51bc9&hl=en

I also suspect that it is a more complicated issue than just making it available. Such as security - opening the phone to viruses, hacking, etc.

Thanks,
Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:51 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I also suspect that it is a more complicated issue than just making it available. Such as security - opening the phone to viruses, hacking, etc.

The sd card, unlike the rest, one can access more easily.
That's where their problem is, they are afraid of piracy. (That IMHO, is no reason to "punish" everyone)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

EowynCarter wrote:
Quote:

That's where their problem is, they are afraid of piracy.

Possibly, but it's at least as big an issue opening the door for malware on a phone. People are accustomed to the illusion of security provided by a closed system, yet more and more want an all-purpose device. Finding the comfortable intersection can be difficult.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

I had a discussion with a coworker recently about this issue. Neither of us could understand why one couldn't put the data files on the SD card, and put the executable portion of the program on the phone memory. The loader should not be terribly huge and only needs to pull data into phone memory on an as-needed basis. The data files could be encrypted so that only the loader can use them, and to prevent the problem of tampering/injection of virii. With the loader on the phone's primary memory, it is already protected from attack, and can't be duplicated onto other phones unauthorized, and the data files are useless w/o the loader.

Still, the above is a more complicated model than the iPhone's, so I guess I can't be surprised that companies are holding back and waiting for Google to simplify what is needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:08 am 
Obduction Backer

Wow, as innovative as Google tries to make itself appear, the way that Robin answered that question sure doesn't sound like they're trying too hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

jweir wrote:
Wow, as innovative as Google tries to make itself appear, the way that Robin answered that question sure doesn't sound like they're trying too hard.

I don't see that. All I see is a "I'm not authorized to give you an answer at this other than let you know we're aware of it".

Pretty standard. Not useful, but standard.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next