It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:41 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 23  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Uh... :shock:
I was trying to find some GZMs in Ae'gura yesterday.

Anyway :D, with that leaked e-mail and now this, I can't wait to see what Cyan has in store for us. I, for one, would not mind if it's run by Cyan. Then again, I only found about MYST & Uru last year and can't wait to explore the Cavern with fellow players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:59 pm 

Actually it's a very important matter... probably the most important. I'm very happy that Uru is coming back, but there are too many problems with the game, some started back at 2003 (some even with the basic design), and unless Cyan Worlds got a lot of time, they won't be able to fix them- and this may very well lead to another closure of Uru (yet I can't be sure on that). I hope that it will be OpenSource, and if it's not, than maybe they can atleast make some agreement with the writers, maybe giving the code only to certain people, letting them open their own server with their own stuff, while charging a monthly fee on these servers too. I hope something can be done so we can fix the problems :? .

But in reality, we don't even know how the new Uru will be. It may very well be OpenSource. On the other hand this may has nothing to do with Uru returning. We shall see :D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:40 pm 

joclyn wrote:
well, it sure looks like the end is not yet written.

i LOVE the cryptic comments from cyan...really whets the appetite for adventure and sets the stage so nicely.

anyone looking for websites/pages with clues/puzzles???

I went to the Preafter website to see if Zandi had posted anything new, but the domain is still down. Oh well :)

Ashtar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is really really exciting!!! All politics and concerns aside, since we are part of this forum, we must all want to be hanging out in the cavern again and that includes me!! I just love that we all have such diverse reasons for being part of such an awesome community. Thanks to Victor for taking notice, even if it was the Bharo tripping the sensors. Hope someone checks things out soon!!!

"If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Actually, I'm very excited about all this! But worried, too. Is Cyan (or whoever was/is in charge...sound of head exploding) going to promote this properly? From what I've read, apparently the only way anyone found out about DIRT/MUDPIE (hmmm... a Multi-User Dungeon - MUD - called DIRT... ya gotta love their sense of humor) was by following a string of clues, if you were lucky enough to get an e-mail (or was it a post? I really don't know) from Zandi. I'm sorry to say this, but this cryptic approach tended to turn URU into an exclusive club! In other words, you had to be in on the joke to even know about URU!

I hope this Laxman post isn't a repeat of that tactic. Cyan really needs to get word out about Uru's Return (if it's truly coming) to the general public in order to attract enough subscribers.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:14 pm 

TOOO wrote:
you had to be in on the joke to even know about URU!

Or you had to be one of the Called :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

TOOO wrote:
Actually, I'm very excited about all this! But worried, too. Is Cyan (or whoever was/is in charge...sound of head exploding) going to promote this properly? From what I've read, apparently the only way anyone found out about DIRT/MUDPIE (hmmm... a Multi-User Dungeon - MUD - called DIRT... ya gotta love their sense of humor) was by following a string of clues, if you were lucky enough to get an e-mail (or was it a post? I really don't know) from Zandi. I'm sorry to say this, but this cryptic approach tended to turn URU into an exclusive club! In other words, you had to be in on the joke to even know about URU!

I hope this Laxman post isn't a repeat of that tactic. Cyan really needs to get word out about Uru's Return (if it's truly coming) to the general public in order to attract enough subscribers.

Early promotion was kind of that way, but that was just a teaser for the fans. Beta testing was by invite, but I suppose it is always done that way. You did have to have an invite from Zandi to be a part of Prologue, but you had to register for Prologue first. Those who did already knew about the game because we had purchased it in boxed form, which was even available at Walmart. It wasn't a secret just for the old timers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I hear Rupert Murdoch also wants to charge people for links.

As do R.B.Rice and Jimmy Dean.

;-)

Mowog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yay, exciting signs about Uru on my birthday, for a change!

Whether good or bad or meaningless remains to be seen, but exciting in any case.

Paradox wrote:
Anyone else getting tired of the DRC repeatedly coming up with IC "explanations" for stuff that is clearly OOC, and has no IC connection?

The DRC days are over... the sooner we get the source, the sooner we start building our story.

As far as I can tell we don’t know yet whether this is about something that is clearly OOC, so for the moment I choose to be excited. Source code is good, but source code plus story is even better! (I’d even be willing to accept a certain delay in the source code if I’m getting Cyan story in return.) Story without source code, on the other hand, would be a bit disappointing.

OOC communication will obviously be required when we get the source, and I’m looking forward to it, but we’ll burn that bridge when we get there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

TOO wrote:

Quote:

This is as much our responsibility as it is theirs. IMHO. That's not to say Cyan shouldn't make an effort to spread the word, but I'm guessing Cyan believes we, the fans, will be their best advertising for Uru's return.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Whilyam wrote:
No matter what form Uru is returning in, the community's role in it is key and we must mature. We cannot keep fighting old wars. We cannot take criticism of Uru as a personal insult. If Uru returns in funded form, we must be open to criticism and vocal in our desire for features and fixes. If Uru returns in open source form (as I imagine it will), we take an even larger role in its survival and thus cannot afford to eat our own. The community will make or break this game.

Very much agreed, Whil. I'm sorry if my poast was taken as a glowing endorsement of Cyan's *management* of Uru in the past- Maker knows there's been some seriously bad choices made, along with the unexpected roadblocks.

But, I would like them to still be a part of the universe building, as much as I want to see what other people do with the tools.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject: What's the problem here?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

It's sad to see that so many of us have become so polarized that we cannot enjoy the game unless it comes just how we want it to. Cyan has had a long time to think about what went wrong, and they are pretty smart folks. I find it unlikely that they would make the same mistakes again. Cyan put out this post to make us feel good and hopeful, and then we turn around and rip it apart. They obviously have a personal attachment to the game beyond just making money. If we didn't think that the game would be worth a little compromise, would we have waited around this long? Pouting is for children. Give hope another chance. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

What leaked email?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:51 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

This one:

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19108

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks JWPlatt!

Looks like I need to fix my Outlook mail again - it "broke" and now I'm slowly but surely re-adding ok addresses as stuff piles up in my junk mail folder!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 23  Next