It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:52 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 23  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:53 pm 

AdamJohnso wrote:
But anyway, I get the point. All of you hate me, so I might as well vamoose.

Nothing to do with hate. If I have to choose between you and Cyan, there would be absolutely question about the matter my choice would be Cyan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:06 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

The stranger wrote:
only question is: which way is it? :?

That-a-way! ---------->>> ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:13 pm 

We knew Uru was returning when Laxman posted, really. Only Watson and Engberg to hear from now.

Also, for those thinking this means funding for Uru, I would imagine that the DRC would be announcing "we have funding for the restoration" if that were the case. Of course, that's only based on previous postings in which Cyan=the DRC. However, my best guess now is that he DRC will come down and see. . .whatever and do an IC release of the source (letting explorers have access to blank books, the ink formula, gahrohevtee, etc.).

Either way, the question is "Who is going to be able to run Uru best?" Cyan/Ubisoft/Gametap hasn't had a good time of it. Personally, I think the fans will manage it best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:25 pm 

Whilyam wrote:
We knew Uru was returning when Laxman posted, really. Only Watson and Engberg to hear from now.

Also, for those thinking this means funding for Uru, I would imagine that the DRC would be announcing "we have funding for the restoration" if that were the case. Of course, that's only based on previous postings in which Cyan=the DRC. However, my best guess now is that he DRC will come down and see. . .whatever and do an IC release of the source (letting explorers have access to blank books, the ink formula, gahrohevtee, etc.).

Either way, the question is "Who is going to be able to run Uru best?" Cyan/Ubisoft/Gametap hasn't had a good time of it. Personally, I think the fans will manage it best.

Indeed, if the DRC/Cyan found funding, I'm sure they would have said it up front.

Personally, I think if Cyan Worlds can find a proper balance of managing Uru equally between Cyan Worlds and the fans of Uru, we can really make this thing work the best. The fans would be able to help out Cyan Worlds and Vice-Versa. I imagine Cyan Worlds feels the same way, it's been very obvious that they still want to have some part in all of this :)

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:30 pm 

Hey Look! a Cliff!

KI #12987306

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:34 pm 

Whilyam wrote:

Sorry to disagree.
Cyan did a good job in running the storyline of URU. Don't think only supplying FCC will make a storyline. Running URU imho means being gamemaster and not the technical or commercial side of the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:43 pm 

Geert wrote:
Whilyam wrote:

Sorry to disagree.
Cyan did a good job in running the storyline of URU. Don't think only supplying FCC will make a storyline. Running URU imho means being gamemaster and not the technical or commercial side of the game.

And yet there were many who didn't like that story and disagreed with the direction Cyan took it in. Some preferred the story done in Prologue, some preferred the type of story done in Myst, some didn't want story at all. With that sort of variance, it's nearly impossible to make a storyline that pleases people. I think that's where the diversity of the fanbase comes in. Many people doing their own multiple stories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:46 pm 

/me rubs hands together and smiles. 8)

Ahhh. Patience. So tough. My fingers have been crossed for so long they might not uncross.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:01 am 
Obduction Backer

There will almost certainly be many shards with many differerent approaches/philosophies in regard to how best to manage Uru. Cyan has stated before that they want to be a part of one of those shards. The way I'm envisioning things is that Cyan's shard will be considered cannon in terms of story (if they choose to have any, and from the recent DRC posts it seems that they might). Alll the other shards will be fan run with no imput or interference from Cyan. How those various shards interact - if at all - is still unclear. But if you want your Uru Cyan-free you can have it. If you want to hang out in an Uru where the DRC might drop by, you can have that too.

Or do I have this all wrong? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:07 am 

Whilyam wrote:
And yet there were many who didn't like that story and disagreed with the direction Cyan took it in. Some preferred the story done in Prologue, some preferred the type of story done in Myst, some didn't want story at all. With that sort of variance, it's nearly impossible to make a storyline that pleases people. I think that's where the diversity of the fanbase comes in. Many people doing their own multiple stories.

I do agree Whilyam that Cyan did change the story for the release of Gametaps MOUL based on a 124 pages report of some advisor. It made the story incoherent and introduced some other effects like introducing the monthly collectable things to keep players comming. Some liked it some didn't and it just was confusing. .
But for a good story and exploration of the cavern (ie the shaft and the rest of the cavern) we just need input from the storyteller. Only FCC in the form of new ages won't do for a real exploration of the cavern of the D'ni. The basis used for the prologue for me did set the stage and i am still anxious ............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:33 am 

I just wrote a blog post last night about how much I miss Cavern. I wake up this morning to find this thanks to Mystdee.

I was explaining to a professor at UNLV and some classmates in my World Lit class about Uru, how we didn't have things like griefers, how we worked together and so forth...

Only to come in and see a few of you going at it. Shame on you.

Personally, with the IC events happening, we've been here before. I'm not going to jump for joy, I'm going to go with what a couple of you said, "Cautious Optimism". What I'm NOT going to do is get into all sorts of negativity and so forth about how we became homeless, who ran what or who did what to whom. Those points are moot. They're in the past and there's not a single person here that can shove that manure back into the very dead horse.

The only thing we can say we know is that we know nothing. According to Socrates, that would be a pretty good start.

What we do have in abundance is time and hope.

*Lifts glass*

So here's to hope and the love of the world that binds us and makes us family.

But you know what? That's just me of course.

KI: 839389

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:43 am 

Quote:
The only thing we can say we know is that we know nothing. According to Socrates, that would be a pretty good start.

Well put :)

I like the idea of fans running URU a lot, and it's definitly the way URU should go, but one thing I'm worried about is that it'll become annother Second Life. Hopefully the guilds will be well implemented, to check each other (most importantly the Guild of Archives.) If we do this right URU can become something great.

Not so sure about the "separate shards" idea. IMO URU should be like life; there's only one storyline and only one truth. There are many different levels of society, but they're all part of the big picture. All of URU should be united by the Guilds.

Am I an idealist? Are we going to settle for less than the best with what we're given?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:02 am 

Justintime9 wrote:
Quote:

Well put :)

I like the idea of fans running URU a lot, and it's definitly the way URU should go, but one thing I'm worried about is that it'll become annother Second Life. Hopefully the guilds will be well implemented, to check each other (most importantly the Guild of Archives.) If we do this right URU can become something great.

Not so sure about the "separate shards" idea. IMO URU should be like life; there's only one storyline and only one truth. There are many different levels of society, but they're all part of the big picture. All of URU should be united by the Guilds.

Am I an idealist? Are we going to settle for less than the best with what we're given?

I should probably give my two-cents on this.

Having the community work together strongly through guilds is a fantastic idea. I think all of the Guilds should work closely together with Cyan Worlds to gain their support and approval of what Cyan would like to see, and what they don't want to see in Uru.

This is also one of the reasons I want to see Cyan at the helm, they should make the decisions in terms of story, and provide resources for us. In return, the fans can make user created content, which goes through the guild approval process, Cyan Worlds, and then out for public release. :)

In short, I want Cyan Worlds to decide how and what User Created Content will affect the main central storyline. Cyan's vision for Uru is maintained, and we get to provide the proper necessary content needed to make the vision a reality. :)

In terms of shards, I'd like to see what we had in MOUL. I'd like to see as many shards linked together and working together as possible :)

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:03 am 

Anyone else notice that Victor said he was on medication? I wonder what's up with him. I hope he's OK.

MO:UL KI Number: 6138333

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
This IS my signature...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:05 am 
Obduction Backer

Geert wrote:
Whilyam wrote:
With that sort of variance, it's nearly impossible to make a storyline that pleases people. I think that's where the diversity of the fanbase comes in. Many people doing their own multiple stories.

...But for a good story and exploration of the cavern (ie the shaft and the rest of the cavern) we just need input from the storyteller.

I think you're both right. There could never be, I think, one cohesive story holding everything together.

Cyan's story in the D'niverse has just as much right to be told as the rest of the diverse creative minds in the community. I think one of the important this will be us knowing where it's not OK to step on toes (al la, Presto getting a list of Thou Shalt Nots for Exile...), and being able to run with things and have Cyan respond in a dynamic way, just like we do when play stories intersect.

And if Cyan wants to, at any point in any future iterations of Uru, create and share story, they are going to have to be dynamic and adaptive with it. You can't tell interactive story like a book. Even blocking it out Choose Your Own Adventure style is limiting.

In a lot of ways, running with story in Uru needs to be handled like a LARP (minus the fangs and boffers)- you have a setting, you have NPCs, you have key points and goals, and bits of background... and you let your players loose and be ready for them to go off on tangents, and then subtly lead them in the directions you want to go. Oddly enough, it would almost be like Cyan needs to think of *us* as the NPCs, and them as the players, so they can adapt to what we throw at them, and vice versa.

There ya go... Cyan needs a GM.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 23  Next