It is currently Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:45 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Think we killed the email sender. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

I got the e-mail, but it arrived in my spam folder.

OTOH, I think we just killed the accounts server :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:05 pm 

Yes, G-Mail flagged the message as spam, so make sure you check your spam folder!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:41 pm 

JayGee wrote:
I know that you're entitled to your opinion, Nalates, but we've just had maybe two days of no one arguing about which way Uru should be run. Why would you go and encourage people to start that over again?

I think you are wrong to assume I’m starting something over. This is an ongoing subject that has recently come up yet again. The subject did not close. Nor were they the last that will appear in this forum regardless of what I do or don’t post.

The current participants, excluding a couple, do not seem to have considered some of the issues involved in a restart of the game. Those are in the discussions at Open Uru. I do not see trying to get fans aware of them and on the same page as divisive.

Whilyam wrote:
Here's part of why I disagree. Compare this to Firefox. Most Firefox users have no programming experience at all/"know even less about running" a browser than Mozilla does. In terms of percentage, I'd say a larger percentage of the Uru community has the experience and talent to run this game.

You have a good point. I do see Firefox/Mozzilla as very different than a game. So, I’m not buying your analogy, but whether it holds up or not you point that it is possible for someone that does not understand game play to create something that works is made. I agree it is possible.

We both see open source as full of possibilities. That someone, anyone… fan… out of work game developer… those into professional game development that are fans… coming in and running a successful version of Uru is a good possibility.

Still, in broad terms, and I admit I’m painting with a fat brush, fans know less about running a game than Cyan does. How many playing various games are seriously considering what makes the game enjoyable for them? Or look at why others are playing and what they like? I think it is very often posted in this forum from an “I like… I want… I don’t like…” viewpoint. A whole contingent does not like for profit play or understand why it is important. A number do not understand even basic financing of games. How many have considered instancing and how that affects story and game play in Uru? That is why I was pointing people to OpenUru.org, which is about planning how to run the game and understanding what works.

kaelisebonrai wrote:
Indeed, are they running some sort of Closed Beta thing? Since, well..

Good question… Someone was running around SL Saturday talking about Pelishard… all excited… I’ve so many mixed experiences with that… so many fan-political games could be in play there I’ll wait to find out what’s up. But, I have to keep resetting my spoof alarms.

The One True Uru… with open source this could get confusing. We have relied on being able to go into a Cyan controlled Cavern and get facts. That changes with open source. If Cyan decided to RP via DRC as a way to exercise some control over the story and interact with fan stories… it could be way fun and WAY confusing to many. It’s a problem I had not thought of this problem until I read Zardoz’s post. However, they may just be setting up the change over and then go silent.

Since the first page on the web site says:
Quote:
Welcome back, again,
Everything takes longer than expected these days. Cyan Worlds’ plans are to move MO:UL to open source, and we finally have some good news. We’ve taken a first step and started a MO:UL server, so the Ages of Uru are available again. We’ve opened all the Ages, and added most of the goodies in MO:UL. We’re referring to it asMO:ULagain—feel free to explore and enjoy.

I’ve got to go find out what is up. Click to play? OMG! :shock:

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
OTOH, I think we just killed the accounts server

Indead. :lol:

MOUL ki : Ewilan : #07497427
MOULagain ki : Will tell if i manage to get in someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:48 pm 

Ok... server getting hammered is an understatement...

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:57 pm 

I don't think the server is hammered anymore... I think that at this point it's embalmed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

ROTFL :lol:

We did it again yeah !

Right, off to bed, i need to wait until the game dowload anyway.

MOUL ki : Ewilan : #07497427
MOULagain ki : Will tell if i manage to get in someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

We need an emergency logon panel.. "https://account.mystonline.com/useDaHalon" that does an emergency fire suppression of the server room (likely on fire at this given point) and then follows it up with a good cycle of the coolant.

I'd like to note that A: I tend to guess these things by luck (notice I said this was leadup to a UU2 yesterday?), and B: my timing stinks (I'm just catching up now, and I predicted wednesday too) :lol:

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:18 pm 

OMG! *Screams*

*runs around the room like a maniac screaming and cheering*

*runs into wall*

*smack*

*out cold*

KI: 839389

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:45 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

What surprised me was that no-one (that I noticed) commented on the date on which Dr. Watson apparently tripped Victor Laxman's sensors...

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:09 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Mac_Fife wrote:
What surprised me was that no-one (that I noticed) commented on the date on which Dr. Watson apparently tripped Victor Laxman's sensors...

How about an entire thread? ;)

(I think the DRC posts were the inspiration).

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 358#313358

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:11 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Guess I missed it then :oops:

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:20 pm 

And tomorrow is the anniversary of Prologue dying, correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Whilyam wrote:
And tomorrow is the anniversary of Prologue dying, correct?

Correct.

Ki #782729

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next