It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:57 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:19 am 

Tesseract wrote:
The Cider wrapper is still freely available from GameTap: http://archives.gametap.com/static/uru-client/mac/mac_myst_setup.dmg

With just a little adjustment, it can be made to connect to the new server and update itself.

Nice find. Can you elaborate on what adjustments need to be made to get it to connect?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:26 am 

I've got quite a way forward using the Wine link provided earlier, it's just the server is down, so I can't patch the update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:31 am 

Ged_UK wrote:
I've got quite a way forward using the Wine link provided earlier, it's just the server is down, so I can't patch the update.

The torrent is zipping along quite nicely...2 hours to go. I'd post the link but some people might get mad, just do a search. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:15 am 

Ahh, I'd never have thought of a torrent! Thanks. Now just have to wait

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:15 am 

Tesseract wrote:
The Cider wrapper is still freely available from GameTap: http://archives.gametap.com/static/uru-client/mac/mac_myst_setup.dmg

With just a little adjustment, it can be made to connect to the new server and update itself.

Thank you for that link! I've installed the thing, now I'm trying to figure out the changes I need to make... Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:46 am 
Obduction Backer

Tesseract wrote:

Indeed you're right! Thanks for the tip. Here's exactly how to get it working:

UPDATE 4/10/2010: You can now install Myst Online quite easily on an Intel Mac using MacPorts:

1. Download and install MacPorts and Xcode. Make sure you get the correct versions for your version of Mac OS X.
2a. To install Myst Online using the old GameTap Cider wrapper, type
Code:
sudo port install mystonline-cider

IMHO this works very well; I recommend this method.
2b. Or, if you want to try running Myst Online in Wine, type
Code:
sudo port install mystonline-wine

If you're on Snow Leopard on a 64-bit Mac (which is most of them), you'll need to build Wine universal for that. The easiest way to do that is
Code:
sudo port install mystonline-wine +universal

That's all!
To help you decide which version you want to try, you can read about the pros and cons by typing
Code:
port notes mystonline-cider

and
Code:
port notes mystonline-wine

Note: The Wine version and the Cider version can be installed simultaneously and will share their game data files.

If you would rather do it yourself by hand, the following is my original post containing instructions for manually installing the Cider version, upon which the mystonline-cider port in MacPorts is now based:

1. Download the old Mac client from Gametap, mount the disk image, and copy Myst Online.app to your Applications folder -- or, if you played MO:UL years ago and saved a copy of the app, use that, because it already contains most of the assets the game needs and you won't have to download them again.

2. Replace UruLauncher.exe in /Applications/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live with the new copy.

Where do you get the new copy of UruLauncher.exe? I got it by downloading the current MO:ULagain installer for Windows and running it in Wine. This will install UruLauncher.exe into ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Uru Live and you can copy it from there into the Myst Online application. If installing Wine just to get UruLauncher.exe is too much trouble, you can download UruLauncher.exe here (as a zip file, which you should extract before proceeding).

Once you have the new UruLauncher.exe, how do you put it inside Myst Online.app? You can do it in the Finder: In the Applications folder, Control-click Myst Online.app. In the resulting window, go into Contents, then Resources, then Control-click again on this Myst Online.app. Again navigate into Contents > Resources > transgaming > c_drive > Program Files > Uru Live. Drag the new UruLauncher.exe from wherever you put it on your hard drive into this folder and replace the old one.

This worked for me. After launching Myst Online.app, it downloaded a new patcher, then downloaded about 400MB of updates (slowly), then let me log in (very slowly) and eventually get into the cavern. (If you used a fresh Myst Online.app from the Gametap disk image, it'll need to download a lot more than that.)

To see the correct End User License Agreement when you log in, delete /Applications/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live/Cider/URU Live EULA.app/Contents/Resources/TOS.txt and replace it with a symlink to ../../../../TOS.txt.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Cyan's license for this technology may not allow us to reuse their wrapper in this way. If that's the case, using Wine directly may still be an option.

UPDATE 2/9/2010: Replacing the old Terms of Service file with the new one is easily accomplished. Open Terminal (it's in Applications > Utilities) and copy and paste in these two lines:

Code:
rm -f "/Applications/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live/Cider/URU Live EULA.app/Contents/Resources/TOS.txt"

ln -s ../../../../TOS.txt "/Applications/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live/Cider/URU Live EULA.app/Contents/Resources"

That's it. The first line (the "rm" line) ReMoves the old file, the second line (the "ln" line) creates the symbolic LiNk.

UPDATE 3/6/2010: To see server status messages in the updater and login windows, and to avoid HTML code appearing on networks with certain kinds of DNS servers, navigate to /Applications/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live/Cider and replace "http://support.mystonline.com/serverstatus/urulivelive.php" with "http://support.cyanworlds.com/serverstatus/moullive.php" in the two files URU Live Updater.app/Contents/Info.plist and URU Live Login.app/Contents/Info.plist.

UPDATE 4/16/2010: Added download URL for UruExplorer.exe.

Last edited by rainbow on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:00 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for the tutorial, rainbow!

rainbow wrote:
As mentioned earlier in the thread, Cyan's license for this technology may not allow us to reuse their wrapper in this way. If that's the case, using Wine directly may still be an option.

I did notice that WineBottler (linked to earlier in this thread) has an option to save a wrapper of the .exe which can then be distributed as a Mac app. So that could be an option if we can't use the Cider wrapper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

rainbow wrote:
Tesseract wrote:

Indeed you're right! Thanks for the tip. Here's exactly how to get it working:

1. Download the old Mac client from Gametap, mount the disk image, and copy Myst Online.app to your Applications folder -- or, if you played MO:UL years ago and saved a copy of the app, use that, because it already contains most of the assets the game needs and you won't have to download them again.

Here's a link to the UruLauncher.exe itself (from my BootCamp partition)
http://drop.io/urulauncher

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks everyone so much for the help. :D Unfortunately, it's not all the way yet. My reconfigured Mac client is able to reach the "Updating Uru" stage (meaning that it did connect to the new server), but it just seems to be hanging there. I was able to bring in the avi, dat and sfx files from my failed WINE installation, but I don't know if it's helped any. Any more help would be really appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeah, it takes a LONG TIME to update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

To watch download status on the reconfigured Mac client, control-click the Myst Online app and choose "Show Package Contents".

Then navigate to /Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live

And then click on the avi, dat, and sfx folders to open them and watch the files get downloaded. If it's working, you should see the file count in those folders get updated every so often.

And also note that Chogon just said they were taking the download server offline soon to start migrating to a bigger server. So it may not be working 'cause it's just not there! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

rainbow wrote:
To see the correct End User License Agreement when you log in, delete /Applications/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live/Cider/URU Live EULA.app/Contents/Resources/TOS.txt and replace it with a symlink to ../../../../TOS.txt.

I've been asked to elaborate on this point. Replacing the old Terms of Service file with the new one is easily accomplished. Open Terminal (it's in Applications > Utilities) and copy and paste in these two lines:

Code:
rm -f "/Applications/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live/Cider/URU Live EULA.app/Contents/Resources/TOS.txt"

ln -s ../../../../TOS.txt "/Applications/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live/Cider/URU Live EULA.app/Contents/Resources"

That's it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hi, Rainbow

Do you have to delete the previous TOS.txt as you said earlier, or do you go straight to Terminal and type that in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

lteyn63 wrote:
Do you have to delete the previous TOS.txt as you said earlier, or do you go straight to Terminal and type that in?

Go straight to the Terminal. The first line (the "rm" line) ReMoves the old file, the second line (the "ln" line) creates the symbolic LiNk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

rainbow wrote:
lteyn63 wrote:

Go straight to the Terminal. The first line (the "rm" line) ReMoves the old file, the second line (the "ln" line) creates the symbolic LiNk.

Thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next