It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:35 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

What platform would you like to see this in?
Desktop widget (Win7 or vista/ google/ Yahoo) 49%  49%  [ 106 ]
iPhone 28%  28%  [ 61 ]
Android 9%  9%  [ 19 ]
Website Integrated 14%  14%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 217
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:34 am 

Drakmyth wrote:
Chatting is playing the game. :P

[stereotypical singing preacher voice]
can I get a "Glorified chat room?!"

KI #12987306

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:46 am 

:roll: It glorifies itself. Heh.
But Sven, this is all in that big wide possible future. And as the first post says, Rand Miller wants it. And we are A O K with that. Speaking of.. Someone wiped his article on Mystlore, heh. Weird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:07 am 

Quote:
I am already working on a plugin for Pidgin and Adium to implement KI Chat out of game.

That sounds awesome--better than a desktop widget, in my mind. If I want the actual interface, I'll just boot up the game since I'm at my computer anyway.

However, I wonder if we shouldn't ask Cyan about this--the server is getting hammered as-is. If people are constantly logging on from chat clients (and potentially leaving them open) it's going to block out others who want to actually play the game. Possibly Cyan could give us some way of interacting with just the chat portion of the server, without having to take up any extra bandwidth.

Also, as for my vote: a Ki app for the iPhone would be fantastic for a few reasons. First, it's something I could use away from my desktop--if I'm already at my computer, I might as well log in. Second, it's something Cyan could actually charge for--and it'd be better for them than donations. With the donations they pretty much have to keep the funds directed at Uru. Not just because they promised so, but also because there are legal issues with a for-profit company accepting donations and then turning a profit with the results of those donations. But with an iPhone app, you'd actually be purchasing a product. So that money could be used to keep Cyan afloat--which is good for all of us, in the long run.

If you don't like the idea of proceeds from the app going to projects other than Uru, fair enough. But you have to admit the app would be neat! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:13 am 
Obduction Backer

Andrew Eldred wrote:
However, I wonder if we shouldn't ask Cyan about this--the server is getting hammered as-is. If people are constantly logging on from chat clients (and potentially leaving them open) it's going to block out others who want to actually play the game. Possibly Cyan could give us some way of interacting with just the chat portion of the server, without having to take up any extra bandwidth.

Asking Cyan is probably a good idea, or at least waiting until the initial influx of people coming in dies down a little and the server can stay up for more than 5 minutes at a time. :P

I wouldn't think leaving the chat client open would be a problem though, since you would presumably have to log into it like you would the game client, and you can't have the same account logged in twice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:33 am 

Yea, like i said before I think we would NEED some help from cyan to pull any of this off in a reasonable time. Without them saying 'this does that' we would be deconstructing the whole game to find one element.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:15 pm 

Sven wrote:
Is this something that Cyan actually allows? I mean, you're putting load on the server from people who aren't actually playing the game.

I would think logging in in this manner to just chat would have a lower bandwidth then some one actually moving through the game normally. Private Instances generally are run on the client side more then the server side of things (generally speaking)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

The big question I would have for Cyan on this is whether the additional load from creating all those private Cleft instances would create a problem. After all, it's likely that far more people will use a chat client for a much larger portion of the day as compared to the number of people playing the game. If it is a problem, you might ask them to whip up a non-instanced age with no real graphics to it that chat-client avatars can log in to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:24 pm 

Dachannien wrote:
The big question I would have for Cyan on this is whether the additional load from creating all those private Cleft instances would create a problem. After all, it's likely that far more people will use a chat client for a much larger portion of the day as compared to the number of people playing the game. If it is a problem, you might ask them to whip up a non-instanced age with no real graphics to it that chat-client avatars can log in to.

All avatars already have (or will have, if they make any progress) a private Cleft instance, so it's not really adding anything that wouldn't already exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Let me know once you have some code, Paradox, and I’ll look into getting it on the iPhone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:34 pm 

CW, I'm very impressed with your Pod Clock for the iPhone, and until I found it I was trying to figure out some kind of Ki-like iPhone app for Uru. But I don't have a Mac to develop it on.

I think you've got the right idea, and that you're the person to develop it. Let me know if there is any way I (or the Maintainers) can help, the way Dot did for the Pod Clock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:35 pm 

But are gameservers normally running for them? I wonder if you can send/receive KI messages from the 'Lobby' gameserver?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:51 pm 

I was there when Rand mentioned this ..i think possibly somewhat lightly in the Cavern. I certainly do not think he intended this to be an invitaiton to hack the game. I am sure a request to Cyan would be the safest thing to do before making this a public issue. Just a thought. Better safe than sorry.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

@CrisGer:

This isn't in response to Rand's messages. Paradox has been working on a KI plugin for pidgin since.. I can't even remember how long, but at least since mid '09. He's just re-targeting this.

If you don't like it? Simple. Don't use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:18 pm 

Paradox doesn't need to get permission from anyone. Full stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:33 pm 

Wow, this would be so awesome....if it works and doesn't put too much load on the server--wait a minute, you know--it might actually put less of a load on the servers if a lot of people are simply logging on to chat. Don't listen to me too much though--I'm not the tech mind, that's my fiance, Kaelis. I'm so inept he has to walk me though complex installs one step at a time! I get excited an come up with wild ideas, but I don't mind being told I'm silly and it'll never work as long as people are nice about it. I get these things wrong all the time and am not afraid to admit it. :) *bows before the writers* Nice to see you all again, also!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next